Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
LehGogh

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby LehGogh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:28 pm

I had an idea recently, and I wonder if it would work...

There are some that complain about how the merchandise 'augments' in CE take up slots that could be used for augments that actually do things. Because of this, I was wondering if you could make a weapon named something like "Box of Goodies" with an absurdly long cooldown that does nothing but sells for lots of scrap. This 'weapon' could then be put in the ship's cargo bay (next to the list of installed augments in the ship menu). Would this work (or at least be better than using up augment slots)?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:26 pm

It's not much different from using augments for this purpose. You still can't remove them via events though, and have to rely on an honor system of telling get players to sell them. They also have a bunch of issues, eg. players with Weapon Preigniter could actually shoot the stuff.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:28 pm

LehGogh wrote:I had an idea recently, and I wonder if it would work...

There are some that complain about how the merchandise 'augments' in CE take up slots that could be used for augments that actually do things. Because of this, I was wondering if you could make a weapon named something like "Box of Goodies" with an absurdly long cooldown that does nothing but sells for lots of scrap. This 'weapon' could then be put in the ship's cargo bay (next to the list of installed augments in the ship menu). Would this work (or at least be better than using up augment slots)?

If you want to make an item that is designed to be sold, you give it no cooldown time so it'll never fire. But putting it in the cargo hold will not make it show up in blue options. And the trading system of CE is designed that you buy goods in one place and sell it in another for a higher price.

If you want an example of goods that are designed to be sold, check out my Christmas Flagship mod. It has Milk & Cookies.

On that note, if you set a price in the negatives, it'll cost you Scrap to sell the item but if you see it in stores, you can gain scrap for grabbing it. Gencool's Christmas Mod did that one. You could buy a present and get 50 Scrap and then pay 25 Scrap to sell it (or throw it out once the hold is full and thus keep the full profit.)
LehGogh

Postby LehGogh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 pm

stylesrj wrote:But putting it in the cargo hold will not make it show up in blue options.

I intended for it to be sold in the shop, not to sell it through blue options.

kartoFlane wrote:...and have to rely on an honor system of telling players to sell them.

It would be a foolproof honor system, as selling it would be the only useful thing to do with it. It doesn't give blue options, and doesn't actually do anything as a weapon.

kartoFlane wrote:They also have a bunch of issues, eg. players with Weapon Preigniter could actually shoot the stuff..

Actually, I can't deny that. However, you could have it fire a blank projectile that does no damage, causes no effects, etc. Also, you could make it so that Weapon Preigniter only makes it so that weapons are charged 99.99% of the way after a jump.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:04 am

LehGogh wrote:Actually, I can't deny that. However, you could have it fire a blank projectile that does no damage, causes no effects, etc. Also, you could make it so that Weapon Preigniter only makes it so that weapons are charged 99.99% of the way after a jump.

I think the Pre-Igniter only has one setting. You can't alter the charge level. It's either not charged or fully charged. Or 99.99% if you end up in an ion storm and it powers down all your guns and Life Support. Seriously even if you hit pause and put charge back in, those guns are not fully charged.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:41 am

Indeed, this is what the pre-igniter looks like in the blueprints.

Code: Select all

<augBlueprint name="WEAPON_PREIGNITE">
   <title>Weapon Pre-igniter</title>
   <desc>Weapons are made immediately available after an FTL jump.</desc>
   <cost>120</cost>
   <bp>16</bp>
   <rarity>4</rarity>
   <stackable>false</stackable>
</augBlueprint>

The only things you can change are name, description, cost and rarity.
Don't know what setting stackable to true would due, probably nothing good though. And the <bp> tag isn't used for anything.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Hey, I've got a question. Is there a way to make an event require a crewmember skilled in a specific system?

nameEvents.xml contains some <choice> tags with both a req="engi" and lvl="1" attributes, but i think the latter is a residue from something else...

In events.xml, there are some Charlie events that give you a Charlie with a specific skill. These different <crewMember> tags define such skills with attributes like combat="1" and shields="1".

I ran some tests of <choice> tags with lvl= and skillname= attributes, like so:

Code: Select all

<event name="MTE_EVENTLOADER">

<!-- get engis -->
   <text>What event do you want to load?</text>
      <choice>
      <text>get a skilled engi.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Engi!</text>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="engi" engines="1"/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>get a real skilled engi.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Engi!</text>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="engi" engines="2"/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>get a differently skilled engi.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Engi!</text>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="engi" combat="1" />
      </event>
   </choice>

<!-- testing system requirements-->
   <choice req="engi" lvl="1" engines="1">
      <text>requires lvl 1 engi</text>
      <event load="EMPTYSLOT"/>
   </choice>
   <choice req="engi" lvl="2" engines="2">
      <text>requires lvl 2 engi</text>
   </choice>
   <choice req="engi" lvl="3" engines="3">
      <text>requires lvl 3 engi</text>
   </choice>

<!-- testing behaviour of choice groups -->
   <choice req="engi" lvl="1" engines="1" max_group="0">
      <text>(special) requires lvl 1 engi</text>
   </choice>
   <choice req="engi" lvl="2" engines="2" max_group="0">
      <text>(special) requires lvl 2 engi</text>
   </choice>
   <choice req="engi" lvl="3" engines="3" max_group="0">
      <text>(special) requires lvl 3 engi</text>
   </choice>

<!-- testing for different skillset behaviour -->
   <choice req="engi" lvl="2" combat="2">
      <text>requires lvl 2 engi fighter</text>
   </choice>
</event>

the combat= and engines= attributes in the <choice> tags seem to do nothing at all. The lvl= attribute instead acts like a counter. More or less like what i think an amount= attribute would do. If i had 1 engi, the lvl="1" events would pop up. If i had 2, the lvl="2" events would pop up, and so on.

Regarding the group of choices with max_group="0"... It acted pretty much like you would expected. It would say "requires lvl x engi", with x being the number of engis on board. Different skill levels of a single engi always unlocked all the lvl 1 choices.

About the last one: it would activate any time i had two engis, disregarding their skill levels completely.

...so yeah, does anyone know if it's actually possible to require a crewmember to have a specific skill to unlock a choice? : \

EDIT: Also, while i'm at it, does anyone know if it's possible to heal the enemy ship via events? :0
ImageImageImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:15 am

I'm curious about the worst Augment in the game (barring FTL booster and Advanced FTL navigation).

The Repair Arm! Feel free to wince or cover your ears from all those rage-inducing screams. And that crashing noise was all your glass and mirrors smashing in horror.

Anyway, I heard that it doesn't drain your life... Scrap away if you have a full hull. It used to (hence the aforementioned rage screams) but in recent months, does it still menace the galaxy? Is the repair arm less dangerous so long as you don't take any missile hits?

Could someone be brave enough to test this out? Have an event which gives you 100 Scrap and see if having a full hull only gives you 85 Scrap with the Repair Arm.

TaxiService wrote:Hey, I've got a question. Is there a way to make an event require a crewmember skilled in a specific system?

I don't think so.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:43 am

question: for a .ogg sound file, is there a way to listen to this soundfile in a program? (I am planning to download some people recommended me use to make sounds earlier, however I didn't get around to that yet)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:51 am

VLC should be able to play .ogg files. Winamp as well. Editing is another story though.