Easy Modding Program? [IDEA]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
PigAteMyPie

Easy Modding Program? [IDEA]

Postby PigAteMyPie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 pm

I came up with an idea of a program (Sort of like SuperLuminal) that makes mods for FTL.

Like, for weapons, you input a sprite sheet of the weapon (off>charging>ready>firing) and what the projectile/beam sprite, then you input what the weapon is called, what it does and other info. I only really thought of this to be a weapon creator.
speedoflight

Re: Easy Modding Program? [IDEA]

Postby speedoflight » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah, a lot of people requested that in the past, but a weapon editor will be by far harder to make than superluminal, besides you will need a test-option to see the weapon working in real-time, and that is really hard to make (almost i think, maybe im wrong). Maybe KartoFlane, since he already did the great superluminal, can explain better, since i really dont have enough knowledge of FTL coding (source i mean). And, a weapon editor is almost non sense, since you will need to design the weapon graphic anyways in photoshop, gimp or watever you use. So, in the end, you will only use the editor for what? for just creating the blueprint of the weapon? lol. Think on it, its a bit stupid, but again maybe im wrong...
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 pm

I've been thinking about it, but I really dislike the idea of creating a "mod maker" program... And that's what a weapon/blueprint editor would eventually become.

IMO a simple XML syntax highlighter + code assist would be enough. Any decent text editor is capable of the former, and the latter can be achievied via plugins in Notepad++, if I'm not mistaken - but I have no experience with those.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 am

If i remember right, u only need to select "xml" as languaje of the text file you are modifying in notepad++, automatically the editor will color every tag with different color, and it will recognize the xml coding trees puting a mark between every tag group and so on. Modding with FTL implies automatically the need to manually edit some files (like modding for almost any game), thats a must, and everybody should be prepared for that.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage