[Tutorial] New Guide on creating weapons

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Metzelmax

[Tutorial] New Guide on creating weapons

Postby Metzelmax » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Since many people have problems on creating custom weapons for FTL and the old Guide is... well old; I thought I make one:

Content:
I The base Code
-creating a mod using GGM
-creating Weapon
-Overview on stats.
-testing
II The visuals
-explanation
-picture
-code
III Sound
adding sound

I The base Code

What I tell you here is how you create a mod which will be a .ftl file in the end that you can use with GMM (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2464) like all mods currently available. You can just simply mod the existing XMLs in the game, but that would mean you had to reinstall to get rid of the modded stuff.

First of all you need to create the directory for the mod:

Create a folder named: "my_weapon" anywhere you want (you can ctrl+v the final .ftl later into the mod folder). Within this folder "my_weapon" you create some subfolders:

my_weapon/data/
my_weapon/img/
my_weapon/img/weapons
my_weapon/audio/waves
(only if you intend to add a custom sound)

my_weapon is the name of your mod and can be anything. The subfolders need to be called like that and be in that order or else it will not load in GMM.

Then you open a Text editor of your choice (I am using Notepad++) and you create 2 files there. The two will be called
blueprints.xml.append
animations.xml.append

within the my_weapon/data/ directory.
Make sure you save them with "all files" so that way you dont accidentally save them as .txt.

Now for the actual coding:
You will only be using XML language to change values within some predetermined tags. I hope you are familiar with xml and html, if not you might wanna take a short look at a teaching side to learn it. It will be difficult without xml knowledge.

Every weapon you make must be within a weaponBlueprint tag. This tag contains the name of the weapon which is its unique id. If you create 2 weapons with the same name the game will pick the weapon located the furthest down the xml file. You can use this to overwrite existing weapons in the game.

In the following I will use the burst_laser_1 (which is the basic laser in game) as an example. I am gonna write a #essential comment behind every important line which must be in every blueprint of a weapon or it will not work (I am not gonna do it behind closing tags since it should be obvious that everthing needs to be closed). All not essential tags have generally default values (i.e. 0) which they default to.

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="LASER_BURST_1">  <!-- #essential -->
   <type>LASER</type>        <!-- #essential -->
   <title>Defense Laser Mark I</title>          <!-- #essential -->
   <short>Basic Laser</short>                          <!-- #essential -->
   <desc>Very weak laser.</desc>                         <!-- #essential -->
   <tooltip>Only one shot, one damage per shot.</tooltip>          <!-- #essential -->
   <damage>1</damage>
   <shots>1</shots>                      <!-- #essential if its a Laser weapon-->
   <sp>0</sp>                           
   <fireChance>1</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <cooldown>10</cooldown>                        <!-- #essential -->
   <power>1</power>                                    <!-- #essential -->
   <cost>20</cost>                                        <!-- #essential -->
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>                                         <!-- #essential -->
   <image>laser_light1</image>                       <!-- #essential -->
   <launchSounds>                                           <!-- #essential -->
      <sound>lightLaser1</sound>
      <sound>lightLaser2</sound>
      <sound>lightLaser3</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>                                      <!-- #essential -->
      <sound>hitHull2</sound>
      <sound>hitHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>                                  <!-- #essential -->
      <sound>hitShield1</sound>
      <sound>hitShield2</sound>
      <sound>hitShield3</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>                                        <!-- #essential -->
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>laser_burst_1</weaponArt>      <!-- #essential -->
</weaponBlueprint>

Now we quickly go over what everything does.

<weaponBlueprint name="LASER_BURST_1">
Declares the name of the weapon itself. All values of the weapon must stand within this and the closing tag.

<type>LASER</type>
Declares what weapon type it is. There are 4 types: Laser, Beam, Bomb, Missile.

<title>
<short>
title is the name you see in game if you look at the weapon in a store. short is the short form which will be displayed at your weapons bar (short form should be like this "mini Beam" Every word should not go over 5 letters or it will look ugly. But it will work with higher lengths too).

<desc>
<tooltip>
Desc is the description of the weapon you read in stores. tooltip is the shorter version you see in your HUD.

<shots>
only used for lasers and bombs (bombs always 1... can be higher but looks stupid then). Tells how many shots a weapon is firing. For Example a Burst MK II fires 3 shots: <shots>3</shots>

<damage>
<fireChance>
<breachChance>
determine the damage , fire chance and breach chance for every single shot of the weapon (per room if its a beam)

<sp>
SP means shield piercing. Every point lets the weapon pierce another layer of shields. (against popular believe the missiles dont pierce on their own. They need that <sp> tag to be set to 4+ (normal 5) in order to avoid shields.

<bp>
has no actual use in game. You can Ignore that one.

<power>
<cost>
<cooldown>
power is the power the weapon needs to function. Cost its cost in a store. Cooldown is how long it takes to recharge the weapon after firing.

<rarity>
Sets how rare it is in game.
0 means the weapon will not drop randomly or appear in stores.
1 lowest rarity, meaning that it is very likely to appear in a store or drop.
5 highest rarity. barely ever shows up.
Make sure only to enter values between 0-5 or it might crash.

<image>
the projectile image (see part II)

<weaponArt>
the Gun's image (see part II)

<launchSounds>
<hitShipSounds>
<hitShieldSounds>
<missSounds>
Lists of <sound> that plays on launch/hit/miss (miss is always the same but you can add new ones if you like see Part III)

After every tag is explained take a look at the whole thing again.

<weaponBlueprint name="LASER_BURST_1">
   <type>LASER</type>       
   <title>Defense Laser Mark I</title>         
   <short>Basic Laser</short>                         
   <desc>Very weak laser.</desc>                         
   <tooltip>Only one shot, one damage per shot.</tooltip>         
   <damage>1</damage>
   <shots>1</shots>                 
   <sp>0</sp>                           
   <fireChance>1</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <cooldown>10</cooldown>                     
   <power>1</power>                                   
   <cost>20</cost>                                   
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>                                     
   <image>laser_light1</image>                       
   <launchSounds>                                         
      <sound>lightLaser1</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>                                   
      <sound>hitHull2</sound>
      <sound>hitHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>                                 
      <sound>hitShield1</sound>
      <sound>hitShield2</sound>
      <sound>hitShield3</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>                                       
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>laser_burst_1</weaponArt>     
</weaponBlueprint>

So you see every tag has its function. The function cant be changed (so you cant add a new tag like plasma or something) you can only change the values and add other compatible tags (see list further down for overview of tags available.

If you want your new weapon to be OP as hell you could change damage to 5 and the shots to 10 or give it 5 shield pierce. Here is your creativity needed.

You can also add another feature of the list below to certain weapon types.

Overview value tags:

<type> //declares type of weapon (possible: LASER, MISSILE,BOMB,BEAM) (all)
Only difference between missile and Laser is that Missile projectiles are not animated
<damage> //how much Hull damage a shot does (all)
<ion> // how much ion damage a weapon does (all, buggy on the beam ie will deplete any shields regardeless of rooms hit
<sysDamage> //how much damage it will do to a system (all)
<persDamage> // how much damage it will do to crew (all) minus values heal but apparently only on bombs
<shots> // how many shots it fires (only Missile, Laser, Bomb)
<sp> // How many shields it pierces (all,but useless on bombs)
<fireChance> //how high the chance of fire is (between 0-10) (all)
<breachChance> //how high the chance of a breach is (between 0-10) (all)
<cooldown>// the cooldown of the weapon (all)
<power> //the amount of power needed to power the weapon (all)
<cost> //how much a weapon costs to purchase (all)
<missiles> // how many missiles a weapon needs to fire (all)
<speed> //how fast a weapon shot flies (by a beam it's the speed it goes over hull) (all)
<length> //how long a beam is (beam only)
<hullBust> //determines whether the weapon does 2x times damage on systemless rooms.(0-1 only) (all)
<lockdown> //the crystal lock-down thingy... I shouldnt work on beams, but never tried it myself (all but beams)
<rarity> //how rare it is (0-5) (all)

<explosion> //adds a explosion animation to the weapon when hitting (laser missile bomb)
 <image> //projectile image/animation for the weapon (Beam contact image on beams) (all)
<weaponArt> // the weaponart for the gun attached to your ship itself (all)

You can add those tags in any order into the weaponsblueprint. It would just look better if the damaging values were at the top and graphics at the bot.

Once you are done changing the values and images around (See Part II for that) you can actually already test your weapon!
There are 2 ways to test it: patch it and hope you come randomly across your weapon (haha) or you add it to a ship and look how it goes.

For that you will need to copy a existing ships blueprint into your blueprint.xml.append. Take this for example:

<!-- THE KESTREL -->
<!-- LAYOUT = DEFAULT -->
<!-- SHIP ID = 0 -->   
<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" layout="kestral" img="kestral">
   <class>Kestrel Cruiser</class>
   <name>The Kestrel</name>
   <desc>This class of ship was decommissioned from Federation service years ago.  After a number of refits and updating this classic ship is ready for battle.</desc>
   <systemList>
      <pilot power="1" room="0" start="true" img="room_pilot">
         <slot>
            <direction>right</direction>
            <number>0</number>
         </slot>
      </pilot>
      <doors power="1" room="2" start="true" img="room_doors"/>
      <sensors power="1" room="3" start="true" img="room_sensors"/>
      <medbay power="1" room="4" start="true" img="room_medbay">
         <slot>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </medbay>
      <oxygen power="1"  room="13" start="true" img="room_oxygen"/>
      <shields power="2" room="5" start="true" img="room_shields"/>
      <engines power="2" room="14" start="true" img="room_engines"/>
      <weapons power="3" room="10" start="true" img="room_weapons"/>
      <drones power="2" room="1" start="false"/>
      <teleporter power="1" room="15"   start="false"/>
      <cloaking power="1" room="8" start="false"/>
   </systemList>
   <weaponSlots>4</weaponSlots>
   <droneSlots>2</droneSlots>
   <weaponList count="2" missiles="8">
      <weapon name="MISSILES_2_PLAYER"/>
      <weapon name="LASER_BURST_3"/>
   </weaponList>
   <health amount="30"/>
   <maxPower amount ="8"/>
   <crewCount amount = "3" class="human"/>
</shipBlueprint>

Like with the weapon this is another blueprint collection with tags just here they are systems and ship properties. How to create a ship will not be discussed here (i suggest you rather take the luminal editor for that).
So the only thing that needs to concern you is this line here:

<weaponList count="2" missiles="8">
      <weapon name="MISSILES_2_PLAYER"/>
      <weapon name="LASER_BURST_3"/>
   </weaponList>

Here is all you need to add your weapon. Change one of the two weapons into your weapons name. Or you can add another weapon tag with your weapon BUT be aware that you then need to change the count="2" to 3 as well since you adding another weapon.

As said before: since you simply adding the kestrel bluprint again, FTL will pick your newly written one over the old default one. So that way the new in game kestrell will have your new weapon.

Now you can save your blueprint.xml.append file and close the editor.

Only thing left is the creation of a .ftl file which the GMM can use.
.ftl files are only renamed zip files.

So that means that you add the two folders data and img within your my_weapon folder to a package using winzip or winrar or similar program. Dont simply pack your my_weapon folder directly or else you have the worng structure within the package. GMM needs to have the files in the right directory and a my_weapon directory he will ignore rendering your entire work useless.

Once packed rename the my_weapon.zip to my_weapon.ftl . If you cant see the file extensions you need to enable them some where under windows (Google).

Now simply copy-paste the my_weapon.ftl to GMM's Mod directory.
Run GMM and select your mod.
Run FTL.
Look at the awesome weapon you made and play!

II The Visuals

If you dont want your new weapon to look as dull as the standard stuff you want to add a new image and animation.
For that to work you first need to know how FTL will treat the image you give it:

Here you see the basic laser animation strip.

The gray arrow points onto the base or depowered image. If your weapon is not powered, it will show this one.
The white arrow shows the start of the charging animation. Until your weapon is fully powered FTL will go through the remaining images of the powerup animation to the Charged Image until the weapon is powered.
The Green arrow is the Charged Image. Here the weapon is off cd and ready to fire. (this image also shows in stores)
The Red Arrow is the firing image. All images between the Charged Image and firing image are the shooting animation. All images behind the firing image are the recoil animation. (just as a note: Beam weapons only use the recoil animation as the animation they shoot).

So now you know how the weapons animations are split up within the image. But where do you determine how many images every single phase has?
Well You got this animations.xml.append file right? There you need to add the animation. it consists always out of 2 things:

The sheet

<animSheet name="laser_burst_1" w="192" h="60" fw="16" fh="60">weapons/laser1_strip12.png</animSheet>

The sheet is simply a opener for your image. It says where to find the image "weapons/laser1_strip12.png" (so your image needs to be in my_weapon/img/weapons/ ) , how wide it is w="192, how high h="60" and how wide and high a single image is within the the strip fw="16" fh="60".
The name is unimportant as long as you use it in the sheet section of the actual anim.
In FTL vanilla all sheets and their anims are called the same. I suggest doing that too.

And the Animation itself.

<weaponAnim name="laser_burst_1">
   <sheet>laser_burst_1</sheet>
   <desc length="12" x="0" y="0"/>
   <chargedFrame>5</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>8</fireFrame>
   <firePoint  x="10" y="16"/>
   <mountPoint x="2" y="44"/>
</weaponAnim>

Here you will declare how the animation works.
-with sheet you are loading the right sheet you declared previously.
-desc length is the total length of the animation (12 images in this example) x/y are used if you have empty images at the start or just dont want to use all images on the animation. Normally you will always have them set to 0.
-chargedFrame is the image within the animation which is fully powered. FTL will use all image before this one as power up animation.
-Fireframe is the actual shooting image. All image before this are the shooting animation and all behind it are the recoil animation.

With those tags you have declared your image and animation. If your image looks good the animation should work as intended.

firePoint and mountPoint are used to make an offset on your Gun (where it shoots from and where it is connected with the ship). Keep in mind that y= 0 is the highest pixel in the image (Ftl counts from the top to bot); x is how you would expect it.

If you want to create a new shot animation too, their are a bit different from a weapon animation:

<animSheet name="laser_light1" w="200" h="20" fw="50" fh="20">weapons/laser_light_strip4.png</animSheet>

<anim name="laser_light1">
   <sheet>laser_light1</sheet>
   <desc length="4" x="0" y="0"/>
   <time>0.5</time>
</anim>

As you see it uses the anim tag instead of the weaponanim tag. Its comparatively easy. Here you only need to add the frame count (again) and tell ftl how long the animation goes. O.5 means here within 0.5 sec all 4 frames of the animations have been shown from left to right.
You can create a new Beam_contact image too (your animation will be glued at the end of the beam).

Note: Missile weapons will not use animations on their projectiles, no matter if you declare one ore not. Instead it always picks the first frame of your animation.

After you done the writing in animation.xml.append Dont forget to change the used Image in your blueprints.xml.append too. Or else you have a fully functional animation and just dont use it on your weapon.

You have to change these two tages within your weaponblueprint

<image>laser_light1</image>
<weaponArt>laser_burst_1</weaponArt>

with your newly made animation (unless you decided to overwrite a old one).

Once you are done coding wise and you have placed the image in the my_weapon/img/weapons folder then you can create a zip and rename it like explained above.

And your new weapon is ready to go!

III Sound

Finally if you want to add a new sound you need to add the needed directory and place your sound there:
my_weapon\audio\waves\weapons\ Sound_name.wav

Afterward you create a sounds.xml.append file in your data folder.

And within it you declare your sound:

<lightLaser1 volume="2">weapons/bp_laser_3.ogg</lightLaser1>

Here you notice the tag name is not predetermined. You can call the sound anything you like (aslong as you dont use something predetermined like "damage"). FTL picks every tag stored in sounds.xml as a sound.
For example you can call the sound:

<OHMYGODWHATASOUNDOMG volume="2">weapons/bp_laser_3.ogg</OHMYGODWHATASOUNDOMG>

It will work.

Volume sets how loud the sound get's played. 0 = silent, 1= very quiet, 5= loudest.

You then only have to add your new sound within your weapon and you are good to go:

<launchSounds>                                 
   <sound>OHMYGODWHATASOUNDOMG</sound>
</launchSounds>

What follows is again packing it to zip, rename, start GMM. You will do that a lot.

That's all I can think off right now.

Have fun making OP weapons!

*Looks at clock* Well that is one afternoon wasted.
Last edited by Metzelmax on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
speedoflight

Re: New Guide on creating weapons

Postby speedoflight » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Very good job there, very well explained. I hope people now doesnt have an excuse for not start modding their own weapons. Again, thanks for this magnificient tutorial Metzelmax!.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
UltraMantis

Re: New Guide on creating weapons

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Thank you for creating an in-depth guide. Excellent work. :D
You touched on every important part of weapon customising.

A few notes:

The animation X,Y offsets are used in sprite sheets that have several rows and columns. These are people animations. Using offsets you can start the animation from any specified frame in the sheet.

Another difference between Missile and Laser type weapons is that Defense Drones react to Missile type and they cost 1 missile to fire. As far as animations go, you are correct.
Bomb weapons also have a peculiar animation sequence. They do not have a charging animation, but instead they display a bomb loading animation once the weapon is charged. The speed of the projectile also governs how quickly the bomb detonates.

The soundnaming convention is pretty mysterious. I've had trouble getting the "miss" sound to work without following a strict naming procedure. It's possible i was screwing up something else though, and just made a mistake. But just to keep things better organised i do recommend following the same pattern.
For example:

## blueprints.xml.append
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannon1</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannon2</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannon3</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonHull1</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonHull2</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonShield1</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonShield2</sound>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonShield3</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>
      <sound>FRSS_meson_cannonmiss</sound>
   </missSounds>

## sounds.xml.append
<!-- Weapon Fire -->
<FRSS_meson_cannon1 volume="8">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_1.wav</FRSS_meson_cannon1>
<FRSS_meson_cannon2 volume="8">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_2.wav</FRSS_meson_cannon2>
<FRSS_meson_cannon3 volume="8">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_3.wav</FRSS_meson_cannon3>

<!-- Weapon Hit -->
<FRSS_meson_cannonHull1 volume="7">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_hit1.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonHull1>
<FRSS_meson_cannonHull2 volume="7">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_hit2.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonHull2>
<FRSS_meson_cannonHull3 volume="7">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_hit3.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonHull3>

<FRSS_meson_cannonShield1 volume="9">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_shield1.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonShield1>
<FRSS_meson_cannonShield2 volume="9">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_shield2.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonShield2>
<FRSS_meson_cannonShield3 volume="9">explosions/FRSS_meson_heavy_shield3.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonShield3>

<!-- Weapon Miss -->
<FRSS_meson_cannonmiss volume="10">weapons/FRSS_meson_heavy_miss.wav</FRSS_meson_cannonmiss>

And now to sticky this topic. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Sleeper Service

Re: [Tutorial] New Guide on creating weapons

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 pm

UltraMantis wrote: The speed of the projectile also governs how quickly the bomb detonates.

Are you sure about that? I just tried <speed>10</speed> and <speed>150</speed> and didn't notice any difference. How high/low does this have to be set to be noticeable? Are 5 seconds fuse bombs possible?

Nice Tutorial by the way. Quite comprehensive.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Very nice! As someone who has fiddled with weapons just enough to be scared by them, this is a welcome sight!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 am

Sleeper Service wrote:
UltraMantis wrote: The speed of the projectile also governs how quickly the bomb detonates.

Are you sure about that? I just tried <speed>10</speed> and <speed>150</speed> and didn't notice any difference. How high/low does this have to be set to be noticeable? Are 5 seconds fuse bombs possible?

I goofed, it's the <time> tag of the projectile in the animations.xml. I remember vaguely setting it to 30 and getting bombs that would fail to detonate before the next one hit. Kinda pointless but if you made a fancy black hole animation to match an equally devastating damage output, it could be fun.

EDIT - I just tested it and it's correct. 30 is waay to slow though. Worth playing with the idea though. :)
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 pm

UltraMantis wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote:

I goofed, it's the <time> tag of the projectile in the animations.xml. I remember vaguely setting it to 30 and getting bombs that would fail to detonate before the next one hit. Kinda pointless but if you made a fancy black hole animation to match an equally devastating damage output, it could be fun.

EDIT - I just tested it and it's correct. 30 is waay to slow though. Worth playing with the idea though. :)

I can imagine a bomb weapon that would need instant detonation (Effector from CE), and it might not be a bad idea to have a bomb weapon that can be dodged by the crew, targets the crew, and can kill the crew if not avoided. :P
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Uuuuuh neat. Always nice to learn something new about modding. :) Three seconds fuses can already add nice flavour and possibilities... Yeah and some neat stuff would be possible with longer fuses... (Ever tested what happens if you jump away after a hit by a long fuse bomb?)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:31 pm

The projectile either hits or misses a room, just like any other. If it hits, it is spawned and the (sloooooow) animation begins. Once the animation runs out the proj explodes and does damage as defined in the blueprints.

Aside cosmetic effects, it's really just a regular bomb. I haven't tried giving the enemy such bombs, but i imagine it would be fun to try and dodge slow burning ones. An anti-personell only bomb that is launched every 10 seconds but takes 15 to explode would be something... Such a weapon would not hurt the ship but it would harras like crazy. :mrgreen: You'd end up with loads of little buggers all over the ship and couldn't man stations in peace.

Insta-hit bombs can be made. The Magma Cannon is actually a bomb weapon disguised as a large cannon. The animation suggests cannon fire but in reality the projectile is teleported directly into the targeted room. Since <time> is set to 0.05 the projectile explodes immediatly. Only shield skipping and defense drone immunity give it away as a Bomb type weapon. It doesn't cost missiles.

I have not tested lingering bombs on your ship as it jumps away, but i assume they are remembered just like intruders would be. It would explode once the fuse ran out.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:39 pm

UltraMantis wrote:The projectile either hits or misses a room, just like any other. If it hits, it is spawned and the (sloooooow) animation begins. Once the animation runs out the proj explodes and does damage as defined in the blueprints.

Aside cosmetic effects, it's really just a regular bomb. I haven't tried giving the enemy such bombs, but i imagine it would be fun to try and dodge slow burning ones. An anti-personell only bomb that is launched every 10 seconds but takes 15 to explode would be something... Such a weapon would not hurt the ship but it would harras like crazy. :mrgreen: You'd end up with loads of little buggers all over the ship and couldn't man stations in peace.

Insta-hit bombs can be made. The Magma Cannon is actually a bomb weapon disguised as a large cannon. The animation suggests cannon fire but in reality the projectile is teleported directly into the targeted room. Since <time> is set to 0.05 the projectile explodes immediatly. Only shield skipping and defense drone immunity give it away as a Bomb type weapon. It doesn't cost missiles.

I have not tested lingering bombs on your ship as it jumps away, but i assume they are remembered just like intruders would be. It would explode once the fuse ran out.

On the other hand, all other weapons automatically fail to damage if you jump out, regardless of whether they'd have hit anything or not.