Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
badon

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.6 (2014-10-25)

Postby badon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:09 am

Is SMM planned to someday be able to maintain a list of available mods, and handle updates for them too? Just quickly browsing around the forum, it looks like people want SMM to keep track of conflicts and compatibility between mods too. With the large list of mods available, it would be a week-long project just to download them and try a few of them. Maybe it's possible to at least download them all-at-once in one compressed file?
ckbd19

Postby ckbd19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

So after not having played FTL for a while, I reinstalled it today (not v.1.6.1 btw, but an older version that should be compatible with SMM) and upon trying to run SMM to install some mods, SMM doesn't display any files when it asks me to locate my FTL data. Instead of the normal explorer window it's all just a big empty space the same color as the rest of the window. Any ideas what might cause this or what I could do to fix it? thanks

edit: I'm on Windows 10 by the way
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:46 am

ckbd19 wrote:it asks me to locate my FTL data. Instead of the normal explorer window it's all just a big empty space the same color as the rest of the window.
It doesn't even look like a window? Just a rectangle?

If there's anything interesting in "modman-log.txt", paste it here between [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags (without the spaces).

You might try editing "modman.cfg" with notepad (or creating it), with line "use_default_ui=true". Sometimes Windows themes can cause problems when Java tries to borrow their look to blend in. That setting tells it not to try, just use a default.

/Both of these belong in SMM's folder.
ckbd19

Postby ckbd19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 am

So I tried making the modman.cfg file like you said but it didn't make a difference. I've attached a screenshot in this post (sorry, I should've posted in my first post lol).

as you can see, it's not exactly just a grey box. It's like it won't let me access any files. It will, however, let me change through folders. I'm running the program as admin, and I've tried compatibility mode for win7 and 8 but it hasn't made a difference.

and as far as the log goes, it doesn't really say anything other than "FTL dats path was not located automatically. Prompting user for location."

And yes, I know it looks like windows 95, but I promise, it is windows 10 lol
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:19 pm

ckbd19 wrote:And yes, I know it looks like windows 95, but I promise, it is windows 10 lol

Hey, mine too! I'm using Classic Shell and the trick to bring back the quick launch toolbar, and I turned off all visual effects in my system settings. :P

ckbd19 wrote:So I tried making the modman.cfg file like you said but it didn't make a difference.

I don't think SMM found the file. If you've got hidden filename extensions, you might've made "modman.cfg.txt" by mistake?

modman_cfg_default_ui.zip (link expires in 30 days)

Try this copy. You should see something vastly different, like this.

Grr. Google says Windows 10 has had some issues with JFileChooser. You might try updating Java 8?
If you go to Java 9, SMM will need fresher executables to find it. ( from GitHub )
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Teehee.
I just discovered how to "Verify Game Cache" from commandline.

On Windows, a custom URI handler is registered for "steam://".

It's tied to a command in the registry. ShellExecute in Windows API looks it up and passes the URI as an argument.

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\steam\Shell\Open\Command
(Default): "D:\Games\Steam\Steam.exe" "%1"

That was platform specific, but here's the end result which I expect will be universal.

Code: Select all

Steam.exe "steam://validate/212680"

That will start Steam if it's not already running, and a popup with progress bar will appear.
I think I'll add that to Slipstream's menu. 8-)

(212680 is FTL's APP_ID)
ckbd19

Postby ckbd19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Vhati wrote:
ckbd19 wrote:And yes, I know it looks like windows 95, but I promise, it is windows 10 lol

Hey, mine too! I'm using Classic Shell and the trick to bring back the quick launch toolbar, and I turned off all visual effects in my system settings. :P

ckbd19 wrote:So I tried making the modman.cfg file like you said but it didn't make a difference.

I don't think SMM found the file. If you've got hidden filename extensions, you might've made "modman.cfg.txt" by mistake?

modman_cfg_default_ui.zip (link expires in 30 days)

Try this copy. You should see something vastly different, like this.

Grr. Google says Windows 10 has had some issues with JFileChooser. You might try updating Java 8?
If you go to Java 9, SMM will need fresher executables to find it. ( from GitHub )

I tried that cfg and it works perfectly! Thanks so much for your help, you've made it possible for me to enjoy this game exactly how I wanted to. I truly appreciate it.

P.S. Classic Shell is spectacular. I paired it with a Win95 theme someone made for Stardock Windowblinds to get things set up just right lol. :D
Vhati

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.7 (2017-12-12)

Postby Vhati » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 am

v1.7 has been released:

Edit: Never mind. This release had fatal bugs.
Last edited by Vhati on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 am

Right off the bat, something is incredibly broken with v1.7. Many of the mods I am trying to test are breaking instantly upon patching with the error message "Patching failed: java.io.IOException: Stream closed". This is including a mod that is literally just image files and nothing else. However another mod, when stripped of all its image files, also breaks with the same error.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 am

slowriderxcorps wrote:Many of the mods I am trying to test are breaking instantly upon patching with the error message "Patching failed: java.io.IOException: Stream closed". This is including a mod that is literally just image files and nothing else. However another mod, when stripped of all its image files, also breaks with the same error.

Is there anything from the log you can paste here in [ code ] tags to elaborate? Specific mods you tried that did that?

I tried "HighRes Backgrounds & Planets" just now without incident.