FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Pudgesicle wrote:[...]
Mapping drones.
[...]

Nice one. That will probably become another new aug for CE. Thanks. ;)
Pudgesicle

Postby Pudgesicle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks man, glad I could have contributed.
Also thanks for making this great mod!
Got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Pudgesicle

Postby Pudgesicle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah, I guess there are a lot of options.

It would probably be best to reduce the event to four.

1)Do nothing and leave. END EVENT.

2) Pay ransom. Get some random reward (weapon, repairs, augment, store, random crew, map update, or nothing). END EVENT.

3)Fight station
3a) If you kill all the crew, get the same rewards as #2.
3b) If you destroy the station, get small reward from the station salvage, or get nothing since the civilians force you away with their weapons. END EVENT.

4) (Blue Option) Use Zoltan crew member for diplomacy.
Ransom is reduced, which the civilians can easily pay themselves. Same rewards as 1#.

That'll do it.
Got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 am

I've been adding quote's to the '' chat with your human'' event text line. As time went on i got more and more quotes, now its over 100.

I would modify them to be space themed, if someone said '' the world'' i would replace it with '' the galaxy''.

But as time went on the human seemed more and more schizophrenic, sometimes they would be memorable quotes from hitler, and some from ghandi....they seemed to contradict each-other.

what if instead, if you are at an empty beacon it had 1 option for every race you have....

would this cause problems? the sentence would need to be shortened from a 2-line one to maybe just '' Chat with your (race) ''.

This way i could get the zoltan giving quotes from ghandi.....and various other 'wise' figures with 'wise peaceful' sounding quotes.

Meanwhile the mantis can get '' kill all the enemy'' quotes on fighting.

you see where i'm going with this?
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:45 am

Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. –Napoleon Hill
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. –Robert Frost
I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse. –Florence Nightingale
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve." - Mantis
"Strive not to be a success [error] [correction] rather to be of value." - Engi
"Two star-beacons in a nebula, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." –Zoltan
"I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse." –Rock
"You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take." –Slug

I'm happy to spend the evening doing all the hard work of re-wording the quotes and google-search-digging to find them, and organizing them by race.

Mantis will get nasty warlordish
Engi will get Eienstine atheist logicalish
Zoltan wil get buddist/deep
Rock will get Endurance/strength of will
Slug will get funny/cynical/dark

hell i've already done 100 +
Just sort it out as a blue option in the empty beacons.....
careful though, if you have 6 crew members that 6 lines :)

I think this is well worth doing , it adds depth to the cultures of the alien races, and sets up a skinner-box-mechanic to talking to your crew....

sometimes they will be too busy to talk still. Don't give kids candy every day or its not a treat :)

....oo.....that's a good quote.....
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:28 am

Civillian outpost should buy fuel from you if you have fuel recycler aug, if in rebel sector, prices are higher and you earn more scrap.
1 scrap per fuel
2 scrap per fuel in rebel sector

Be quick, earn 10 scrap
spend time at station and rebel fleet advances, earn 30
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:21 am

Re-word the events involving jumping into the midst of a Federation fleet, so that it referes to Codes and 'one of the captains knows you ' etc etc.

Why is a Mantis pirate ship just being allowed to fly past, it's ok when you're flying the kestrel or something, but being in an obviously evil ship makes it a little odd that they let you fly past, some of the events mention codes and such, but more need to.

Also, more blue options for said fleets, requests for mini-quests that lead to mini-bosses.
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 am

Fighting Drone based ships , when destroyed, should have a higher chance to give drones and lower chance to give missiles.

When fighting a Mine launcher (lets say mantis for this example) if you HAVE a mine launcher of your own, AND a crew member of the same race (in this example, a mantis on the ship vs a mantis mine layer). A blue option for 'help build the mine field' should appear.

e.g. 'have your mantis pose as the captain'.

This has a 50% chance of success.

If it is successful, he gives you the codes to the mine, pays you to help him make the field bigger, and it takes TIME ( rebel fleet advances) AND costs you 4 missiles (if you don't have 4 missiles the option appears greyed out, and option 1 says you change your mind)

HOWEVER
This has a chance to fail...the attack begins,

HOWEVER HOWEVER
if you have a slug crew as WELL as the relevant race (unless it's a slug minelayer) the 50/50 chance is removed as your 'mantis' is told the code which allows him to pretend to have been sent there to help.
If it's vs a slug mine-layer they immediately attack as they know you are using psyhic to lie.

WAIT THER'S MORE!
this then counts as an illegal event, and my disturb your crew!....unless you are rock/mantis/slug
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:51 pm

I will stay away from using real world quotes as real world references are pretty rare in FTL and I like that it is so vague on the actual nature of it's lore/universe.

It was briefly considered to have a full "CE Social" component that let's you chat with everyone on board at empty beacons with texts specific for sector types. That was also planned to have rare special outcomes. Humans letting you know about friends on a nearby Fed base, Slugs offer a game of chance, Mantis having laid eggs that hatch and give you crew... stuff like that. Yeah It would be great to have your Mantis family fending off boarders, but writing all this events and making them unique for each sector type was just too boring. Might still happen in the future, but I'm currently working on the sectors and can't spend much time on moding anyway.
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Mantis family! that's awesome! esp if it's enhanced by mantis pheromones...oh but you have to have TWO mantis for it to happen. Genius.

With regards to the quotes, notice my rewording? I totally get what you are saying though.

also perhaps something more stylish that quotation marks. '' you ask your mantis what he thinks about life it says '' quote''....