Jeff's Custom Ship Hulls

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
JeffTheBoardingDrone
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Jeff's Custom Ship Hulls

Postby JeffTheBoardingDrone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm

(free for any use - and note, on Imageshack it has a black background surrounded in pink, but that is it not acting well with transparency)
These ship hulls are very mediocre hulls that are some of my first. They are made in Paint.net and will mostly be fused-together ships.

Don't expect cloak & shield graphics for now. Anything I have is currently provided to me, and I credit them with the images.

Also, it may be weeks until I add additional ships, or just a matter of days - my schedule is erratic.

Current Additions:
- The Bastard (Fed. Cruiser)
- The Megaton Boulder (Rock Battlecruiser)
- The David (Fed. Fighter, misfit name until Goliath is redone)

Planned additions:
- Mantis Warship
- Rebel Flagship redux.
- light cruisers.

Work in Progress:
- Rebel Flagship Redux (probably be a while of cleanup)
- Moar federation ships. I love them too much.

My First Custom Hull:
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You search what has been left behind in the Hangar bay, looking for something that could be used to pulverize whatever enemy steps in your way between you and delivering the vital information.
"All aboard Battlestations! This is not a drill!" shouts a captain.
You catch out of the corner of your eye a rather bulky cruiser. With its vast array of devastating armaments that you recall pulverizing ships in field testing, you know this is the kind of cruiser you were looking for.


The Bastard is made to be a powerful ship. It is my first hull that I have made, a fuse together of all the white Federation ships. It is the first ship hull I have made, and spent about 3-4 hours working on trying to correctly fuse and get the proper coloring. The coloring still is a bit off, but it looks better than at the start.

My Second Custom Hull
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All of the main Federation craft have been cleared from the hangar. Your only option to get another beefy craft is to teleport over to the nearby market station and try and find a mercenary ship.

You nervously walk into the bar that has been known to make the toughest of men run out in terror. All of the rock men glared at you as you walked up to the counter and ordered a drink.

One finally speaks out in his gruff voice, "What makes a repugnant runt like you come to a place like this?" You hear knuckles cracking in the background and start thinking this is a bad idea.

Your shuttering hand barely manages to hand the scrap transfer check to the Rock. "I... I... -" you stammer.

"Guns for hire?" he booms. "Why didn't ya just say so? We've got an assault cruiser that fits in that price range."


The Megaton Boulder is known to take such an uppercut to its theoretical jaw that would've torn through a Mantis war camp. The mercenaries that man this ship can even take an uppercut and it would just break that guy's hand. Truly fearsome.

The Third Ship:
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image
Cloaking from 5th Horseman - it is white on a white background, but it is there.

You know what you need to get that information to the base - speed. You find the last fighter in the hanger and strap yourself into the cockpit. After exiting the hangar you fire up the propulsion drives, to find that almost immediately the hangar a dot in the background.

Within that small time frame your FTL is already charged, and you jump to the next beacon.


Yes, this ship is actually just the cockpit of the Goliath with engines bolted on the back, but at least it is sensible.
The David is a mass-produced ship that is made to be hard to hit and pack its punch back. As the designer of this ship says, "Why have over 300 tonnes of Armor when you can have a VASIMIR* rocket pair strapped to the back of a light fighter rocket?"

*Fun fact - these exist. They are Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rockets, they are essentially Ion engines that spew out jets of million degree plasma. They have serious heating issues.
Last edited by JeffTheBoardingDrone on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: Custom Ship Hulls

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Wow. Thank you!

I've been looking for something like this because I simply don't have the artistic chops for this. Expect a new ship using that hull soon. I can probably run it through a filter for cloak, and think I know how shields work well enough to get that done as well. Anything I do I'll provide back to you and if it meets up with your standards, you can include it in the file.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
JeffTheBoardingDrone
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Custom Ship Hulls

Postby JeffTheBoardingDrone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 pm

5thHorseman wrote:Wow. Thank you!

I've been looking for something like this because I simply don't have the artistic chops for this. Expect a new ship using that hull soon. I can probably run it through a filter for cloak, and think I know how shields work well enough to get that done as well. Anything I do I'll provide back to you and if it meets up with your standards, you can include it in the file.

Thanks!
When you get them up you can post them here and I will add it to the topic.
I will check once a day if I recently uploaded something, but don't feel pressured to get stuff in.
fylth
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Custom Ship Hulls

Postby fylth » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Really like the hulls you've got so far, however there is something small I've noticed. There is a slight glow around one of the old hulls you've spliced in to the Rock hull, looks a little strange. If you could remove that and perhaps darken the lower image it would look more like one piece. Good work though, may end up using one of these at some point.
JeffTheBoardingDrone
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Custom Ship Hulls

Postby JeffTheBoardingDrone » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:10 am

fylth wrote:Really like the hulls you've got so far, however there is something small I've noticed. There is a slight glow around one of the old hulls you've spliced in to the Rock hull, looks a little strange. If you could remove that and perhaps darken the lower image it would look more like one piece. Good work though, may end up using one of these at some point.

That glow is something that is a pain to remove, but it should not be a problem from this point on as I am going to trace the hulls with an eraser to get rid of it.

At some point I will re-do it on the rock ship, but it might be a while - depends on how my weekend goes.
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: Custom Ship Hulls

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:59 am

I'm ALMOST done with a ship based on the smallest ship you have there. I call it the Pyro and it's a fire beam/rock boarding crew design that manages to not be over powered. When you get going with it, though, it's a monster.

Image

I've made a decent cloak image as well, feel free to include it:

Image

Sorry it's white on white, but it looks good in-game :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
JeffTheBoardingDrone
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Custom Ship Hulls

Postby JeffTheBoardingDrone » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:36 pm

5thHorseman wrote:I'm ALMOST done with a ship based on the smallest ship you have there. I call it the Pyro and it's a fire beam/rock boarding crew design that manages to not be over powered. When you get going with it, though, it's a monster.

Image

I've made a decent cloak image as well, feel free to include it:

Image

Sorry it's white on white, but it looks good in-game :)

Looks pretty good when I change around contrast to see it.
I'll add it within the hour to the post and credit it to you.
DryEagle
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Jeff's Custom Ship Hulls

Postby DryEagle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 pm

This should be posted in mod development, not in general.

Also try to keep your hulls no larger than 750*450px as the game as a fixed resolution and any larger than this will be too big. Even that is already pretty large and you'll be having issues with certain weapon attacks. 550*400 is a better size to aim for, at most.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
Image
ImageImageImageImage
boa13
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 pm
Location: Nantes, France

Re: Jeff's Custom Ship Hulls

Postby boa13 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:22 pm

You're right. The topic has been moved to the Mod Development sub-forum, a shadow topic was left in-place.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
JeffTheBoardingDrone
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

Re: Jeff's Custom Ship Hulls

Postby JeffTheBoardingDrone » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 pm

boa13 wrote:You're right. The topic has been moved to the Mod Development sub-forum, a shadow topic was left in-place.

Yeah, It fits better here - don't know why I put it in general.
DryEagle wrote:This should be posted in mod development, not in general.

Also try to keep your hulls no larger than 750*450px as the game as a fixed resolution and any larger than this will be too big. Even that is already pretty large and you'll be having issues with certain weapon attacks. 550*400 is a better size to aim for, at most.

I think 900x401px is a bit excessive for what the Goliath is, and it can't really be sized down beyond cutting. I am going to remove it for now, and when I fix the Rock ship I will shrink in the sides down to 450. It might be a bit though, as final exams are coming up, but when those are out of the way I can resume full production.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests