The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: The Shipyard

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:33 am

Nope. Hull isn't mine.

----

A year ago, I started a rebel hull, but I stopped when I got this far: *link to another post*
I recently worked on it again and now it looks like this:
It is a heavily-armored transport ship. It needs a little more work, but I'm not really good with the lighting/shading.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:31 am

Wow, that looks good! You just need to flip those wings so that they're pointing up instead of down, and perhaps get rid of the two vent-thingys below the ship.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:46 pm

So I modified RAD's ship above.

Could use some work, but overall looks nice.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 am

RAD-82 wrote:I recently worked on it again and now it looks like this:
It is a heavily-armored transport ship.

One issue: I think the layering is a little off in this area, here:

I've highlighted how I view the ship. The "base layer" is blue, the shoulder bits are green, and the rectangle thing is red. I view the ship as being blue, with the green bits a little higher, but on the same elevation as each other, and the red bits on top of the green bits. But in your image, one of the green shoulder is above the red rectangle, making it higher than the green shoulder on the other side.

Here's a simple fix that puts the red rectangle on top of the shoulder.

---

elijahdb wrote:I think either NarnKar or RAD82 did this hull, I just polished it up.

I made the first image. Looks like you just mirrored the non-zoltan part. To be fair, yours does look better.
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:18 am

These don't have a glow and I made them ages ago but never did anything with them, so I figured I may as well post them in case anyone else can get some use out of them. Feel free to use as you wish.
Last edited by SentryJumper on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Here's some stuff I'm never going to use. Feel free to do whatever you wish with it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Here's the download to all of it, including gibs and cloaking.
http://dreniarb.com/elijah/ship.zip
Marinealver

Postby Marinealver » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Just looking around the different custom made ships trying to look for possibilities of alternative flagship models. Took the Drone Harbor and tried to make a version of an Engi Flagship called the Carrier and tried to come up with the three phases. I don't have very good art skills with most of my image editing skills being MS paint and GIMP (like a discount photoshop)

and with auto-ships

Stage 3 will have all the auto ships launched by then

Again I think the drone harbor while a good concept it is too long and needs to be wider instead. But here is an idea of what I am looking for.
Warp Drive or Hyperspace?
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:06 am

Two quick questions that were inspired by recent posts here... How do you create the glow for a ship? And is it possible to update ship graphics mid-fight somehow?
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:00 pm

TheFallenAngel359 wrote:Two quick questions that were inspired by recent posts here... How do you create the glow for a ship? And is it possible to update ship graphics mid-fight somehow?

Taxi Service made this tutorial for making the pink glows. His channel also has a cloak tutorial in case you need to know that too. If you're using GIMP instead of photoshop, you do pretty much the same thing, just with the drop shadow filter instead of outer glow.

As for updating ship graphics mid-fight, the only way I can think to do that is making the entire ship a weapon animation. If you want the "weapon" to not ever fire and reset the animation, you can just set it to require, like, 1000 missiles.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Yeah, i was about to link that but i'm slow af. Also check out glows in GIMP. The color used originally is #FFAABA, and i think a good width would be in the 20-30 pixels range but it depends mostly on your ship. Try multiple values, and be sure to add a dark background to check how the glow would actually look in space!

Updating ship graphics is not possible as far as i know, but you *could* maybe come up with an artillery weapon that, when bought from a store, could "add" parts to your ship; keeping in mind that whenever you jump to a new beacon those parts would disappear. :| like in this example, the animated parts are not included in the hull image and they disappear while jumping.

Chrono Vortex wrote:As for updating ship graphics mid-fight, the only way I can think to do that is making the entire ship a weapon animation.

What is this wizardry!? :0 Like, you mean a transparent hull image or is there a way to use an animation as the hull??
ImageImageImageImageImage