[MOD][WIP] Starcraft Total Conversion

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
alextfish

Re: [MOD][WIP] Starcraft Total Conversion

Postby alextfish » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:Why aren't you using the campaign only Leviathan? The giant zerg mutalisk carrier? I think that makes a lot of sense for a 'mannable' Zerg ship.
Wow. That might make sense as the end boss, but as a player ship? It feels too... big :) (Also, I don't think it carries mutalisks. It spits out eggs that hatch into mutalisks, doesn't it? I certainly got the impression it had rudimentary basic intelligence rather than being crewed.)

Now if we were talking about Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, there's a good example of a living airship that's crewed. But it's not really got much in common with the Zerg Leviathan. :)

It just seems natural to me to have the player ships fairly evenly split between Terran, Zerg and Protoss. Otherwise all the Zerg players would feel left out, I'd need to find 8 or 9 ships for each of Terran and Protoss, and the Overlord would look pretty odd as the only Zerg ship on the roster. Overlords are living things too; it's not really like they have computers inside them that the transported zerglings operate. Plus I'd miss out on the chance to give Zergy names to all the Zergy-feeling races (Mantis and Slug are blatantly much more Zerg than T or P), augments (Regenerative Carapace! Parasitic Healing!), weapons, and so on.

Also, if I recall correctly, races have their animation sheets defined in an .xml file. So, in theory, you could write a simpler format for animations to make the spriting part easier. Another option is to unpack SC1 graphics and use those sprites for the crew; I think that would be easier than converting the SC2 models into animated sprites (you would have to sort of settle for certain idle or special ability animations for computer use, however).
O-HO, you're right! animations.xml. I hadn't realised that file was there. Hmm... I could manipulate that to separate the idle animation from the walk. So Engi could have crew portraits as SCVs. But then Engi would also look like SCVs while standing idle: not so good. I could also use it to just remove a lot of the animations, using just a few standard images for everything.

I had considered using the SC1 sprites, but there are two problems there: not all the units existed in SC1 (I could approximate some of them, marauders as firebats, but in particular sentries with their forcefields aren't around in SC1); and SC1 was isometric, so most sprites are tailored for diagonal views, not u-d-l-r.
...Hmm, OK, Googling around, scratch that second one: they've got animations for all ways round. Not great options for repairing or using computers, and each unit only has one attack (not both melee and ranged), but yeah, I could maybe use these. Hmm.
Still feels like a lot of work, but perhaps a bit more achievable now.

shark wrote:Can you share battlecruiser? i just need the gfx please. even better if it comes with _gibN.pngs
Over this weekend I'll be posting all I've got, but I haven't split any of the images into gibs. The Battlecruiser image I'm using is this one: http://i.imgur.com/yaqdE.png (Actually I shrunk it slightly from that to fit better into FTL.)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:20 pm

On track for a beta 0.50 release tomorrow. All ship images are aligned, all weapon mount points are aligned (that was easier than I'd expected). Almost every weapon and drone has a new SC2-ish name (everything except the hull-smashers and crystals; I have available names for those, but I'm not changing the weapon images yet). Got a few distorted system images to fix, a couple of final tweaks to playtest, and then the beta release will be posted in the Working Mods forum tomorrow.

What's in: * 18 SC2 ships with graphics * SC names for almost all weapons, drones, augments and crew * SC2 icons for systems & subsystems
What's not in: * New weapon graphics * Changed event text * New events * New sprites for crew * SC2-style interface for the rest of the UI

Current annoying bug: The Battlecruiser's shield and Zoltan shield are massively offset, by several hundred pixels, which means they're no longer working to absorb most shots. No idea why. The PNG shield image works fine on the other ship it's used on. The ELLIPSE should be set correctly as far as I can tell.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Beta v0.5 download is posted!
sp0nsz

Postby sp0nsz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Do you think that the mantis could maybe be a hydralisk or viper?
awsome idea I was waiting for something like this! :D