Ship Dismemberment

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RustKnight

Ship Dismemberment

Postby RustKnight » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:51 am

Right, so as the title states, this is a mod idea that i want to share with you modders.
I guess that maybe some of you thought about this but i didn't see any topics related to the subject above, so i'm going to fire away.

The idea is simple, yet hard to implement - Make it so that some shots (lasers, missiles) have a critical change to bust the ship up (yours or the hostiles) so that the extremities like medic bay, sensors, or some other non vital parts flow away in space.

Methods of recuperation - repairing at shop - of course for a more hardcore version, you have to buy the missing component to reinstall it.

I just fired away with this idea, you guys can expand it and see if it's even remotely possible to accomplish.
(As a side question for those who know, are the parts floating in space of ships, randomly animated or is it just a standard animation?)
Whale Cancer

Re: Ship Dismemberment

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:28 pm

RustKnight wrote:...yet hard to implement...

So hard to implement, you would have to rewrite the entire game.

Debris are handled through gib sprites. When a ship explodes, it is replaced with a number of gib sprites with certain trajectories and rotations.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
RustKnight

Postby RustKnight » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:44 am

I am no modder or codder, but i have an idea in what this would require.
Still, the basics are there - final boss scene handles the exact idea i have in mind.
But you're right, i guess it is near impossible to realize.
fylth

Postby fylth » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:57 am

Except the final boss is three individual ships, beating one lets you fight the next, and its always the same bits of the ship that get damaged. Unless you want to have a ship for every single configuration of rooms for every single ship (layouts A and B) then it would require an entire rewrite of...well, pretty much the entire game
RustKnight

Postby RustKnight » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Oh well, it wasn't me who was going to the all the work. Usually there's this smart guy who does the work in a way nobody thought it would work.
In this particular cause, his presence may lag in appearance.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:50 pm

RustKnight wrote:Oh well, it wasn't me who was going to the all the work. Usually there's this smart guy who does the work in a way nobody thought it would work.
In this particular cause, his presence may lag in appearance.

No, it's just not possible without rewriting the game.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!