[FotF] Zoltan Ship Preview, Quest Comments; Collaborators?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
cogitator

Re: [FotF] Zoltan Ship Preview, Quest Comments; Collaborator

Postby cogitator » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 am

Just a little new idea I've been kicking around the ol' cranium.

With the federation in it's infancy and facing a formidable alliance of enemy races, it only seems natural someone would try and create some type of.... UNIVERSAL TRANSLATOR. I see it as a series of quests, with you taking the scanner to certain pre-arranged coordinates, attempting to communicate, possible consequences, etc. At the end you can understand the hails from enemy ships and attempt new solutions.

This would be either easy or hard to implement. Easy if you use the translator as a blue option when encountering enemies, or tricky to implement if a whole new set of events was triggered.

Any way, just food for thought. Is there a particular place you'd prefer to have this kind of stuff posted?
First playable release of Extra Scoop is out! Download Link!
Davesoft

Postby Davesoft » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 pm

cogitator wrote:Just a little new idea I've been kicking around the ol' cranium.

With the federation in it's infancy and facing a formidable alliance of enemy races, it only seems natural someone would try and create some type of.... UNIVERSAL TRANSLATOR. I see it as a series of quests, with you taking the scanner to certain pre-arranged coordinates, attempting to communicate, possible consequences, etc. At the end you can understand the hails from enemy ships and attempt new solutions.

This would be either easy or hard to implement. Easy if you use the translator as a blue option when encountering enemies, or tricky to implement if a whole new set of events was triggered.

Any way, just food for thought. Is there a particular place you'd prefer to have this kind of stuff posted?

How about all encounters with Mantis and Slug races result in Garbled mess, but if you have the UniTran you can choose to translate the mess and have a real conversation?

Depending on how deep you want to go, a multi-sector story based on finding peace with the other races would be good. I'll do some planning :)
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:30 pm

cogitator wrote:Just a little new idea I've been kicking around the ol' cranium.

With the federation in it's infancy and facing a formidable alliance of enemy races, it only seems natural someone would try and create some type of.... UNIVERSAL TRANSLATOR...

Sounds really cool, especially since there's already an event where "the universal translator is on the fritz, but you can understand the message"-type thing in the game (when encountering a hostile mantis).