Better info + smaller tooltips

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:58 pm

These mods only work with vanilla (unmodded) gameplay. You can use them alongside cosmetic or quality-of-life mods just fine, however.

Choose only one of the following, not both:

Better info 1.5
Improves the detail and formatting of in-game information. Probably suitable for beginners.

Note: the numbers shown for door strength are only correct for Hard difficulty. On lower difficulties, doors are stronger.

Better info + smaller tooltips 1.5
Provides the same extra info, but also makes tooltips much smaller. Only suitable for experienced players, because it removes some basic information.

Screenshots

Unmodded on the left, and "Better info" on the right:

Unmodded on the left, and "Better info + smaller tooltips" on the right:

Who is this for / why use this?

Better info
This is intended to improve the experience by adding more information. Normally you would need to look this up on the wiki. For example, it lists exact fire and breach chances.

I have tried to avoid changing the "flavour" or "feeling" of the game. For example, I have not "corrected" misleading weapon descriptions, such as Dual Lasers: "Basic weak dual lasers. Often used by transport ships that can't afford better." I wanted a subtle, background approach that enhances the information, rather than bulldozing the original writing.

This mod is potentially suitable for any player. It is most relevant to players who like digging in deep, and appreciate detailed information in-game. However, if you are completely new to FTL, it might be better to wait a bit first.

Note that the info for door strength is only correct for Hard difficulty. Doors are stronger on lower difficulties.

This does everything in "Better info", but also greatly reduces the size of the tooltips.

The only way to shrink tooltips is by removing text. In many of them -- such as the system tooltips -- it is not possible to remove all the text. You just get blank lines instead. So I have tried to adopt a minimalist style without making anything look too jarring.

Drone tooltips have not been shrunk. That is because the store/cargo description for drones is hard-coded to appear in the tooltip as well, and I did not want to lose that flavour text. Minimal drone tooltips are available as an add-on mod.

Removing text also means removing information. Therefore I only recommend this mod for experienced players who understand the basics of FTL gameplay. Be warned: the game will no longer explain how hazards work, such as solar flares or ion storms. It will not explain how nebula jumps work, and some other basic information will be gone too.