[FotF] Final Ships v0.03 + Mantis Combat Simulator v0.01

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Whale Cancer

[FotF] Final Ships v0.03 + Mantis Combat Simulator v0.01

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 pm

Hey all,

Here are the final 18 ships for Foundation of the Federation. These are final insofar as the choice of specific ships and their layouts. Weapons, augments, descriptions and such are subject to change.

Please accept this youtube video in lieu of screenshots:

http://youtu.be/kZ2Vj5fo3_g

*UPDATED* Download Link for Final Ships Preview: https://sites.google.com/site/sebcraftland/FotF_Ship_Preview_0.03.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 - Version 0.03 - Note: This mod has a known issue where enemy/NPC Federation ships have an improper floorplan. This is due to a namespace conflict. This conflict is resolved when my Federation Sector mini-mod is loaded (which is my next release!).

Installation Instructions: Download, unzip, load all contained .ftl files (10 of them) with Grognak's Mod Manager.

All weapons, doors, gibs, and shields should be 100% functional. If you find an error in any of these, please let me know. All ships also have floorplan images, but they are all in a slightly different style. This is because I haven't settled on a specific floorplan style yet. When I do, all of them will be redone. This is, however, a low priority at the moment.

This 'mini-mod' should be seen as replacing my Federation Bomber and Scout and 8 Scouts mods. As all of these ships are kept in separate files, I will eventually add some of the variants I have created but rejected as alternates, but this is a low priority.

All of these ships get unlocked through various quests in-game. I will provide a FTL profile which has all alternate ship achievements unlocked but only the federation scout available. Thus, whenever you unlock a ship you will unlock it and its variant.

I welcome feedback primarily on bugs and weapons/system loadouts for ships.

*This Section is under construction*
Federation Scout
Description Text: Federation Scouts are light ships with advanced scanner packages. As they lack significant armament, scout captains tend to avoid combat.
Unlock Text: None, this ship begins unlocked.
Hull Strength: 7
Crew: 1 Human
Pilot (2/3), Sensors (0/0), Doors (0/0)
Variant A, The Magpie
scout.png

Shields (2/4), Engines (4/8), Oxygen (1/3), Medbay (0/3), Teleporter (0/0), Cloaking (0/0)
Weapons (2/4; 2 Slots; 5 Missiles): "Cerberus" Autocannon I, "Leto" Missile Launcher
Drones (0/0; 0 Slots; 0 Drones)
Starting Reactor Power: 7
Augment: Long Range Scanners
Variant B, The Jackdaw

Shields
Engines
Oxygen
Medbay
Teleporter
Cloaking

Weapons
Drones

Starting Reactor Power

Augment

MANTIS COMBAT SIMULATOR

This combat simulator opens a combat debug menu at the start beacon. It lets you fight a ship. Whenever you destroy a ship through this menu, you get a quest that leads you to a beacon that opens the combat debug menu again!

This is just for testing!

YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz3phnQuz30&feature=youtu.be

Download Link: https://sites.google.com/site/sebcraftland/FotF_Mantis_Combat_Simulator_v0.01.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 Version 0.01
Last edited by Whale Cancer on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
cogitator

Re: [FotF] Final Ships

Postby cogitator » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:07 am

Dude... awesome. Just... awesome! All the new ships look really great! I like the changes you've made to the achievements, as well as the way each class has different hp. Will the game play differently for the bigger ships than the small ships? I guess the main thing I am thinking is whether mission outcomes, rewards, and encounters will be affected by hull sizes...

I also think the idea to have each ship trigger a unique racial event. Fits beautifully with the theme for your mod.

COMBAT SIMULATOR sounds like it could be super useful for anyone making a weapons mod etc. Any chance you'd release that as a seperate mod, I'm sure folks would be grateful.

In closing, looks really really good! I've had a few quest ideas, I'll post them in your other thread.
First playable release of Extra Scoop is out! Download Link!
Jequirity

Postby Jequirity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi Whale Cancer,

Cheers for sharing your mod with us, i've enjoyed the last couple of previews you've released.

Just downloaded the "Final Ships" mod and i'm having trouble moving crew members out of the pilot compartment of the Nutcracker bomber. The crew members won't actually move into the other rooms. I've briefly tried the rest of the ships available and they seem fine regarding crew movement.

Stupid question: In this preview are all the ships supposed to be unlocked? In my game the Kestral, Zoltan cruiser and various variants are locked.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Jequirity wrote:Hi Whale Cancer,

Cheers for sharing your mod with us, i've enjoyed the last couple of previews you've released.

Just downloaded the "Final Ships" mod and i'm having trouble moving crew members out of the pilot compartment of the Nutcracker bomber. The crew members won't actually move into the other rooms. I've briefly tried the rest of the ships available and they seem fine regarding crew movement.

Stupid question: In this preview are all the ships supposed to be unlocked? In my game the Kestral, Zoltan cruiser and various variants are locked.

Hey Jequirity,

Thanks for noticing that! I've fixed the error and uploaded a new version.

The ships that are unlocked in this preview correspond to the ships you have unlocked already (so, for instance, if you have unlocked the Federation crusier you have the Engi bomber unlocked since they use the same slot). When I release the full mod, I will provide a profile where everything (but the federation scout) will be locked (although all variants will be unlocked, since we can't edit how variants are unlocked yet). Edit: They will, of course, be unlockable through quests in the mod.

If you want to try all these ships right now, you could use the FTL profile editor: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2877. If you do that, I suggest backing up your current profile so as not to ruin your current progress (unlocking ships is part of the fun of this game, imho!).
Last edited by Whale Cancer on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Jequirity

Postby Jequirity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:Hey Jequirity,

Thanks for noticing that! I've fixed the error and uploaded a new version.

The ships that are unlocked in this preview correspond to the ships you have unlocked already (so, for instance, if you have unlocked the Federation crusier you have the Engi bomber unlocked since they use the same slot). When I release the full mod, I will provide a profile where everything will be locked (although all variants will be locked, since we can't edit how variants are unlocked yet).

If you want to try all these ships right now, you could use the FTL profile editor: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2877. If you do that, I suggest backing up your current profile so as not to ruin your current progress (unlocking ships is part of the fun of this game, imho!).

Arghhh! It seems rather obvious now that you've explained why certain ships are unlocked and some aren't! :oops:
I think i'll try to get the missing ships the good old fashioned way, your mod gives me a good incentive to get the Mantis ship and the Crystal thingy.

Cheers once again for the mod mate!
splette

Re: [FotF] Final Ships v0.02

Postby splette » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Looks very promising so far.

I, too, haven't unlocked all ships yet. Should be doing that soon...
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:45 am

Just a heads up Whale Cancer, the Type B Fed Cruiser's Shield image seems to be missing or corrupted, as when it comes up all I see is an exclamation mark.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:08 am

winterpwner wrote:Just a heads up Whale Cancer, the Type B Fed Cruiser's Shield image seems to be missing or corrupted, as when it comes up all I see is an exclamation mark.

Thanks! I didn't include the alternate shield and cloak lines in the blueprints.xml definition of the cruiser. I am going to double check the other cruisers in case I made the same mistake. The ship preview has been updated to correct this error.

Additionally, I put up the basic Mantis combat simulator if anyone wants to check it out. Once I get all the combat simulators our and tie them to each sector beacon, FotF will be playable as a weird combat-heavy game. Following that quests and events will be added sector by sector (I have a bunch done, but I just write them as I come up with them; they are systematic enough to warrant a release).
henryheyhey123

Re: [FotF] Final Ships v0.03 + Mantis Combat Simulator v0.01

Postby henryheyhey123 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:00 pm

the federation bombers that you encounter in the battles are all jumbled up. the bomber faces the right
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
snip

Additionally, I put up the basic Mantis combat simulator if anyone wants to check it out. Once I get all the combat simulators our and tie them to each sector beacon, FotF will be playable as a weird combat-heavy game. Following that quests and events will be added sector by sector (I have a bunch done, but I just write them as I come up with them; they are systematic enough to warrant a release).

Thanks! By the way, some of the federation scout NPCs are incorrectly spaced. (i.e they're off the enemy ship view) perhaps this is because you're using the same floor as them?