My First Mod Ship

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
SlipstreeeemREBEL

My First Mod Ship

Postby SlipstreeeemREBEL » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:07 am

This is my first ship mod. I used a pirate rigger from the enemy ships. The gibs don't work properly, so pls dont complain... One of them is OP, and the other needs upgrading. :D :D :D Links: Weak ship :https://drive.google.com/file/d/16gUWOw_H9W8oBLj6fXuj5DQfPovXZ6Xg/view?usp=sharing OP ship: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dIFAjd ... sp=sharing please rate so that I can see how to improve :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Biohazard063

Re: My First Mod Ship

Postby Biohazard063 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:48 am

First of all, welcome to the modding community and congrats for getting your first ship(s) created.
So you wanted feedback, and here it is:

I'll leave things at general ship advice since all of that probably covers most of what I have to say about the individual ships:
Rule no.1: Test your ships in game. Even if only for a sector or 2. The hangar view alone will often show some stuff that need to be addressed. And the early game of a run is often enough to get a feel for the balance.

Next up, I don't know if you used Superluminal to create these but I assume you did. (Since most modders use it for their basic ship setup then move onto a notepad and whatnot for the custom magic. And it's a godsend for beginner modders.)
But in any case, what you see is what you get. By that I mean if the ship is facing "up" in superluminal, it'll face up in-game as well. So a point of advice I can give you here is that if you do wish to use enemy models for player ships, rotate them to face to the right. Player ships will ALWAYS fire to the right of the screen no matter how the weapons are orientated.

Which brings us to another really handy thing for beginners; you can extract FTL's resources with Slipstream. (Which I assume you're familiar with going by the name, or else it's one heck of a coincidence :lol: ). Just open Slipstream, click "File" followed by "Extract Dats...". It'll spit out all images, audio and code. From there, you can start rotating to your hearts content. (Just don't overwrite the files, just rename and save them elsewhere. Superluminal will include all the custom imagery when you save the mod.)

Having access to all the images (including interior ones), brings us to the next bit. Technically this is a really minor thing but it's a pretty big pet peeve of mine: Take some time to properly set up your interior images and manning stations. Oxygen tanks floating in space and people typing away on an invisible keyboard looks bad yet it's something that with a bit of time can easily be addressed.

Systems that don't have a room assigned to them will still show up in stores and can still be bought. The player won't get the system but still lose the scrap. For some systems (all except shields and I believe DC), you can remove them from stores with some code. Or alternatively overwrite the price to be say 9001 scrap. Though I'm not faulting you for not doing that. Do keep in mind that Clonebay and Medbay can easily enough share a room since one replaces the other.

Ghost crew is still available, but the code needs to be added manually or they just get replaced by humans. (You can't know this starting out but whatever right?)

There's probably more general advice to give but...
I've got a guide on my YT channel that I'll link here. I'm not saying it's a "must" see. But the first two parts cover basic ship design in Superluminal. The guide is setup with me teaching someone to make his own ship on a livestream. So it's easy enough to follow. If you plan on making more ships for FTL (you totally should :D ) then maybe take the hour and a half to watch those first two. If you want of course, it's all up to you.

For the record, this might all sound like a lot of critique, but consider it constructive. It's nice to still have new modders coming in now and then. So see this all as a motivation. The better a ship looks, the more people are going to want to play it. So by all means, keep at it! If you're looking for help with some stuff. Let me know, I don't "prowl" the forums all too much anymore. So the best way to get in touch would either be just asking on that modding guide I mentioned or find me on my discord server. Anyway, best of luck on future builds and I hope I didn't scare you off! :?

I've taken the liberty to give the rigger an overhaul to let you see what the difference can be, you can find the link below and I'll remove it once you have it downloaded. What you do with it I'll leave entirely up to you. But it's just to show what a bit of polishing can do. Stuff that'll become more natural once you've messed with Superluminal a bit more.

Overhauled rigger (did not remove the purchasable systems without a room) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0eb7ghwwwbbr ... d.ftl?dl=0
Changes:
Rotated 90° to face right. (Basically means remake the entire thing :mrgreen: )
Added a floor image. (The border around the rooms.)
Added Medbay to be able to replace Clonebay.
Redid the interior images and set manning stations properly.
Added Ghost crew code.
Added and animated gibs.
*The boss artillery weapons don't play nice with the weapon mount positions, so those will look tucked away. If the mounts are move forward to "fix" it, other weapons will be out of place when moving slots.

And here's an image of the ingame look:
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
porcu93

Postby porcu93 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:34 pm

@Biohazard063
Nicely caught, I would have given the feedback if I tried the ship, but I didn't have the free time to playtest the ships people posted.
SlipstreeeemREBEL

Postby SlipstreeeemREBEL » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:52 am

@Biohazard063,

Thank you for your feedback, and thank you for helping me with it, but may I ask one question?

Whenever I put the gibs, It always stays in one place, it just explodes and leaves the gibs there....
How am I to fix this???
SlipstreeeemREBEL

Postby SlipstreeeemREBEL » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:54 am

And by the way, I learned how to use superluminal by watching your tutorials :lol: :lol:
I downloaded everything...
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:46 pm

SlipstreeeemREBEL wrote:And by the way, I learned how to use superluminal by watching your tutorials :lol: :lol:
I downloaded everything...

Glad to hear! Guess that'll solve the issue you had with the gibs as well. ;)
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
SlipstreeeemREBEL

Postby SlipstreeeemREBEL » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:53 am

I finally was able to fix the gibs! The problem was that I forgot to put the velocity so it stayed in the same place :shock: :lol: