FTL Developer Console

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
BFrizzleFoShizzle

FTL Developer Console

Postby BFrizzleFoShizzle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:15 am

Hey all.

Did you know FTL has a developer console? Probably not, since it's hard-coded as being disabled in FTL's code.
This "mod" re-enables it.
Currently, it's only compatible with the windows 1.6.9 steam release of the game. I'm happy to port it to other releases if anyone wants that.

Here's what it looks like in-game:

Download

Note: THIS MODIFIES YOUR FTLGame.exe. If it breaks, you may have to re-install FTL.
Installation
Download and unpack the .zip
Run install.bat and follow instructions

Uninstallation
Run uninstall.bat and follow instructions
If that doesn't work, go to your FTL directory and rename FTLGame-backup.exe to FTLGame.exe

Usage
When in-game, press "L" to open the console.

Console commands: (I haven't figured out all of them)
event [event ID]
Triggers event

index
???

load
???

ach
Achievement unlock?

sector [sector type]
Immediately jumps to a new sector with the type specified (sector types are in sector_data.xml)

scrap [number]
Gives player scrap equal to the number given

weapon [weapon ID]
Gives player the weapon specified

ship
Unlocks ship?
"ship all" unlocks all ships

drones [number]
Gives player the number of drone parts specified

drone [drone ID]
Gives player the drone specified

fuel [number]
Gives player the amount of fuel specified

missiles [number]
Gives player the amount of missiles specified

hull [number]
Changes the player's hull ingegrity by the amount specified

rich
Adds +80 fuel, missles, and drone parts, as well as +1999 scrap

god
Upgrades all of players' systems to max

sys [system ID]
Add system to player ship (case-sensitive)

exit
Set current location to be an exit beacon

aug
??? probably something to do with augments

crew [type]
Add crewmember of specified type (case-sensitive) to player ship

delete
Kill non-player ship

lang
Sets language?

loadtext
???

Credit where credit is due: I'm not the first one to find the developer console. I think TheSwiftTiger managed to enable it on an older version of FTL a year or two ago. Not sure if that ever got publicly released.

I'll release source code for this mod soon. It'll come as an update to the FTLAPI github repo I started years back.
bamalf

Re: FTL Developer Console

Postby bamalf » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Code: Select all

L to open

EVENT          Run an event.                           Usage: EVENT <event_id>        Example: EVENT FREE_AUG
LOAD           Loads a ship blueprint.                 Usage: LOAD <ship_id> <str>    Example: LOAD MANTIS_BOMBER 5 (with 5 sector strength)
ACH            Unlock achievement.                     Usage: ACH <achievement_id>    Example: ACH ACH_SECTOR_8
SECTOR         Go to sector type.                      Usage: SECTOR <sector_type>    Example: SECTOR PIRATE_SECTOR
SCRAP          Add scrap.                              Usage: SCRAP <num_to_add>      Example: SCRAP 500
WEAPON         Add a weapon blueprint.                 Usage: WEAPON <weapon_id>      Example: WEAPON LASER_BURST_1
SHIP           Unlock a ship.                          Usage: SHIP <ship_id>          Example: SHIP PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS
DRONES         Add drone parts.                        Usage: DRONES <num_to_add>     Example: DRONES 50
DRONE          Add a drone blueprint.                  Usage: DRONE <drone_id>        Example: DRONE COMBAT_2
FUEL           Add fuel.                               Usage: FUEL <num_to_add>       Example: FUEL 50
MISSILES       Add missiles.                           Usage: MISSILES <num_to_add>   Example: MISSILES 50
RICH           Add 80 of each resource and 1999 scrap. Usage: RICH
GOD            Fully upgrade every system and reactor. Usage: GOD
DELETE         Destroys enemy ship.                    Usage: DELETE
SYS            Add a system.                           Usage: SYS <system_name>       Example: SYS cloaking
AUG            Add an augmentation.                    Usage: AUG <augment_name>      Example: AUG O2_MASKS
CREW           Add a crew member.                      Usage: CREW [race_name]        Example: CREW slug
EXIT           Allows you to exit the sector           Usage: EXIT
Image Image Image
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:18 am

This is really interesting. Do you know if anyone tried to figure out enemy generation/sector in more detail either by code or experimentation? This could really make it much faster to try and note down data, but if there any existing info it would be nice to know first.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am

Just as a small heads-up, I tried to use this on an exe for FTL that was patched with Large Address Aware (since I'm 70% sure that's still a critical thing for running really big mod packs), and the Dev Console patch caused the game to crash in the menus.
Nescio

Postby Nescio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Could you create this for the GOG version of the game? I would really like to experiment with this, but I don't have the steam version.
kek

Postby kek » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:44 am

So uh, probably user error but it doesnt seem to work for me with the current version. It gives me 2 "done" reports from moving the files. The bspatch doesn't report anything back to me in the batch. I've tried the few things I know albeit very limited regarding this program/command. Any chance you could just upload the exe or help me trouble shoot?
please dont touch me

Postby please dont touch me » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 am

kek wrote:So uh, probably user error but it doesnt seem to work for me with the current version. It gives me 2 "done" reports from moving the files. The bspatch doesn't report anything back to me in the batch. I've tried the few things I know albeit very limited regarding this program/command. Any chance you could just upload the exe or help me trouble shoot?

Could you elaborate a bit more? During the install process, bspatch should only pop up for a moment, and it should be ready to go from there. Your cmd should look like Image
(with the ftl route dependent on whatever you're using.)
wow! its The Guy
Discord - microwave#0388. Contact if you need pirate paint done or just general shading work.
kek

Postby kek » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 pm

I think I did it right, it's just that I don't think it actually changed the file. It comes back successful but nothing is changed. The key to open the console doesnt do anything for me.

please dont touch me

Postby please dont touch me » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 am

kek wrote:I think I did it right, it's just that I don't think it actually changed the file. It comes back successful but nothing is changed. The key to open the console doesnt do anything for me.

i don't really know much regarding this type of problem, but perhaps it could be because it's on your D: drive? i'm not really sure what the problem is here either.like a fool
wow! its The Guy
Discord - microwave#0388. Contact if you need pirate paint done or just general shading work.
MantisManMike

Postby MantisManMike » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:58 pm

This dev console is incredibly useful for testing and demonstrations. Thanks for your effort making it available.

Unfortunately the latest FTL update broke it. Any chance of a fix?