Vicious Vessels - 40 new enemy ships

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Woona

Re: Vicious Vessels - 35 new enemy ships

Postby Woona » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:16 pm

PLIOU wrote:Hi ! Very cool artwork Woona ! I like it alot !
They look like the original colours and shadows but the design is new !
It's a very hard work and need alot detail . I never managed to keep it this disciplined !
That's alot work . Art and coding .
Well done !
Thanks for your kind words. Shading and colors are the easiest part: I just copied colors from vanilla ships and applied black blur filter near the edges. There are layered .xcf files in the first post.

FearTheBlaziken wrote:I found a few bugs with this mod. Occassionally when you fight a Lanius ship, a Rebel Rigger ("DEFAULT") spawns instead. I believe this is occuring as there are some ship tags on the blueprintList that don't actually have a assigned ship to them (or you forgot to remove them in an update).
Fixed. Thanks a lot for testing the mod and reporting bugs.

KingdomKrafters wrote:Yeah lol I noticed this too when I was integrating VV to PC. There was originally 3 versions for every hull, but it appears there is now only 2. This means there is a LOT of missing hull blueprints if any of the third types were left in
Nah I only forgot about the Lanius list because it's in the different file.
Spudozaurus

Postby Spudozaurus » Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 pm

So I've played the mod for a few hours now, it fits very well in the game and the designs are really cool. My personal fav are:

Couple notes on balance:

- there are a lot of ships with TP, which makes the game a bit harder, especially in no-pause, I got used to it in a few hours though and not sure it should be reduced

- some layouts are too easy in my taste because shields are close to weapons, making the fights easier with Flak/Beams etc. (see below)

Also this one just above looks off with the four big empty rooms, I'd change the layout to somehting similar you've done with this one:

Artillery on ennemies, oh I live it, I want more, I encountered this one in sector 8, but if I encountered some in 6-7 i would love it :

Overall I love the mod and it's one of my favorites ever, it looks good, fits well in the game, is well balanced, keep up the good work!
(and next time I provide feedback I'll make better/smaller screenshots, sorry for that)
Last edited by Spudozaurus on Sat May 04, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woona

Postby Woona » Sat May 04, 2019 5:42 am

Spudozaurus wrote:there are a lot of ships with TP, which makes the game a bit harder, especially in no-pause, I got used to it in a few hours though and not sure it should be reduced

Some thoughts on enemy balance: I think that fighting enemies with no auxiliary systems in late game when you already have 2-3 systems and a decent weapon layout is too easy and makes the game a bit boring. Also it creates a difficulty spike in the form of final boss. So which systems should the enemies use?
Hacking is too random. When the enemy hacks your weapons, the fight becomes too difficult, when the enemy hacks sensors/doors, it doesn't change a thing.
Cloaking is too frustrating. It just prolongs the battle without adding meaningful tactic choices.
Mind control is fine, but it's very easy to deal with as long as you have a big crew. So as an only system it doesn't affect battles much.
Artillery is not used in the base game with the exception of the flagship, so I hesitate to add too many enemies with artillery.
Drones and teleporter are by far the best auxiliary systems in my opinion.
Drones have a lot of variety. Boarding drones, defense drones, anti-ship drones, and shipboard drones all require planning and adapting to situation.
Teleporter is just something to keep you on your toes. When you get boarded, you can't just ignore it. It also synergizes well with mc, hacking and some drones.
Spudozaurus wrote:some layouts are too easy in my taste because shields are close to weapons, making the fights easier with Flak/Beams etc.

I agree. I will swap some rooms around for the next update.
Spudozaurus wrote:Also this one just above looks off with the four big empty rooms, I'd change the layout to somehting similar you've done with this one:

I wanted transport ships to stand out somehow, so I made these rooms to represent a cargo hold. Maybe it wasn't the best idea, but I don't have anything better right now.
Spudozaurus wrote:Overall I love the mod and it's one of my favorites ever, it looks good, fits well in the game, is well balanced, keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot for your post. Big spoilers with Tuco ship though :D .
Spudozaurus

Postby Spudozaurus » Sat May 04, 2019 11:55 am

Woona wrote:Some thoughts on enemy balance: I think that fighting enemies with no auxiliary systems in late game when you already have 2-3 systems and a decent weapon layout is too easy and makes the game a bit boring. Also it creates a difficulty spike in the form of final boss. So which systems should the enemies use?
Hacking is too random. When the enemy hacks your weapons, the fight becomes too difficult, when the enemy hacks sensors/doors, it doesn't change a thing.
Cloaking is too frustrating. It just prolongs the battle without adding meaningful tactic choices.
Mind control is fine, but it's very easy to deal with as long as you have a big crew. So as an only system it doesn't affect battles much.
Artillery is not used in the base game with the exception of the flagship, so I hesitate to add too many enemies with artillery.
Drones and teleporter are by far the best auxiliary systems in my opinion.
Drones have a lot of variety. Boarding drones, defense drones, anti-ship drones, and shipboard drones all require planning and adapting to situation.
Teleporter is just something to keep you on your toes. When you get boarded, you can't just ignore it. It also synergizes well with mc, hacking and some drones.

Hmm I think I agree on this, but I was mostly talking about early sectors, lategame is really well-balanced imo, but repeated teleports can be quite punishing in ships with a weak starting crew and/or bad venting. I'd need to play more of the mod to see if it is that big of a deal - but I don't think it is, I am mostly nitpicking on details because otherwise I wouldn't have anything to say apart from "wow great mod!" :D

Woona wrote:Thanks a lot for your post. Big spoilers with Tuco ship though :D .

You're welcome, I removed this one :)
Woona

Re: Vicious Vessels - 36 new enemies and more

Postby Woona » Sat May 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Since the interest in my mod is at its peak right now, I have decided to release an update. It's experimental. The mod is not just ships now: there are a lot of balance changes and new events. Also, I created a GitHub repo and restructured the mod to make it as easy as possible for other people to make changes and add things (if anyone wants to). Good luck. I hope I didn't break anything and your game does not crash.

New ship is a stealthy Mantis.

dizzy_xc

Re: Vicious Vessels - 38 new enemy ships

Postby dizzy_xc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:55 am

double post
Last edited by dizzy_xc on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizzy_xc

Postby dizzy_xc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 am

The Energy Aggressor keeps locking up FTL, using the ships and events version. I have to do taskmgr it closed. On one playthru it contributed to my save game being deleted. I'll try using the full version...

How do I excise this ship so it stops being used? I think there's a lot of pointers to this ship with events. And your Events is the reason I DLed this mod. i think its a great idea. Love playing against the new variety of enemy ships as well. TY.
dizzy_xc

Postby dizzy_xc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:44 am

I think it worked with the ships only version. Kinda sad about that... Ill keep playtesting.
Woona

Postby Woona » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm

dizzy_xc wrote:The Energy Aggressor keeps locking up FTL, using the ships and events version. I have to do taskmgr it closed. On one playthru it contributed to my save game being deleted. I'll try using the full version...

How do I excise this ship so it stops being used? I think there's a lot of pointers to this ship with events. And your Events is the reason I DLed this mod. i think its a great idea. Love playing against the new variety of enemy ships as well. TY.

I'm sorry that my mod caused crashes. I was working on a new version, but I was putting off posting it here. The new version should be more stable. I split one mod into 3 separate mods right now (having different versions was a mistake, because I couldn't possibly test all of them).

If you want to excise a ship from the mod, the easiest way to do that would be clone my github repo, delete the folder you don't want, run build.py, and copy the resulting .ftl file into slipstream folder.

Thanks for playing the mod. If you find more crashes, or have feedback, please post it here.
dizzy_xc

Postby dizzy_xc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:01 am

Woona wrote:
dizzy_xc wrote:The Energy Aggressor keeps locking up FTL, using the ships and events version. I have to do taskmgr it closed. On one playthru it contributed to my save game being deleted. I'll try using the full version...

I'm sorry that my mod caused crashes. I was working on a new version, but I was putting off posting it here. The new version should be more stable. I split one mod into 3 separate mods right now (having different versions was a mistake, because I couldn't possibly test all of them).

If you want to excise a ship from the mod, the easiest way to do that would be clone my github repo, delete the folder you don't want, run build.py, and copy the resulting .ftl file into slipstream folder.

Thanks for playing the mod. If you find more crashes, or have feedback, please post it here.

Thanks for the response, I'm enjoying the mod very much and it is playable as is. I can run from the Energy Aggressor, but can't engage it in combat or it locks up the game. I think manually deleting the Energy Aggressor, which btw is locking up my game anytime any of your three versions take damage, is the best path forward. My game is otherwise extremely stable.

So here's my question, what exactly do I need to delete to make sure the Energy Aggressor is safely deleted? I ask because I'm not sure if you have events that call for that ship. So if I delete the ship out of the data folder, I can open up the other event folders and line item delete anything that references the Energy Aggressor. But how many events are all tied into it? And is that step necessary? If I simply delete the ship out of the data folder would that work? Or do I need to go thru all events and line item delete stuff?