[Ship] A-10 Thunderbolt

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: [Ship] A-10 Thunderbolt

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 am

Whited wrote:If anyone knows why i have a little visual bug near the weapons system, i would be happy to fix it :)

That looks like the _floor image to me. Are you missing a _floor image, or do you have a blank _floor image?

In 1.5.13, a missing _floor image would result in a little black box for some people, while a blank _floor image would get rid of the box. I don't know how 1.6.x reacts to either of those situations, but it looks like a yellow caution sign in your screenshot.

I haven't examined the resources of 1.6.3 yet, but I have tested the last ship I've made which included a blank image for something, and that blank image isn't working anymore, instead giving me a red warning sign. I don't know yet if it is because of a different file location, or the new FTL version doesn't like the blank image.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:17 am

RAD-82 wrote:I don't know yet if it is because of a different file location, or the new FTL version doesn't like the blank image.

I doubt it's inspecting pixels to complain about 100% transparency.
But FTL 1.6.1-1.6.2 didn't like interlaced pngs, which 1.5.13 had accepted. Something to (un)check when saving.
Whited

Postby Whited » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 am

I confim what RAS-82 said, not including a floor image of some sort was causing the yellow exclamation point to appear.

Thanks for the help.
Whited

Postby Whited » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:35 pm

I made two variants of the A-10 but i think i would only keep the B Version because of the Auto-fire bug in the first one, and i don't want to have like 4 weapons just for the sake of not having the same number of weapons on each wings.

What do you think?
Whited

Postby Whited » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm

V8 is out!

GAU-8 now needs 3 power units (instead of 2)
GAU-8 no longer takes the place of the vanilla chaingun
Custom animations for the GAU-8 & bullets added

Enjoy.
Squishybrick

Postby Squishybrick » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:25 am

My personal take on the ship, having played it.

The modified chaingun weapon it starts with is what I call a "Doomsday weapon". In other words, a weapon capable of single-handedly
destroying the flagship by itself, if left to fire uninterrupted. Your win is guaranteed the moment you start playing as this ship.

The only thing to decide afterwards is how quickly you're going to win.

I don't mind it being that way, honestly. If I were to recommend some kind of realistic nerf to balance the chain gun, I would
make it not able to hit shields (meaning shields aren't taken down a blob from it hitting them), or deal system/crew damage,
since it's basically just firing heavy lumps of copper that would otherwise plink off of a ship's hull, let alone somehow pierce it
in any meaningful way.

With such a balance, the chaingun still has potential to utterly destroy an enemy ship, but only with supporting fire from additional
weapons, to chip away the shields, making it a more strategic weapon.

Or you could go the other route, and UP its fire-rate even further, but make it fire like a flak cannon, where bullets aren't even guaranteed
to hit the ship, balancing out the ridiculous fire rate with low accuracy.