[OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: [MOD][WIP]Arsenal+ English Translation Attempt

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 pm

bamalf wrote:Your misc.xml file is encoded in utf-8 instead win-1251. Comment <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> in first string is irrelevant.

sorry, but I don't completely understand how this encoding thing works
from below: the encoding of the file from the version that works looks the same as the previously broken version.
when I open up the file with notepad++ and it's in utf-8 to begin with (or is it? not sure) or at least that's what it says then I go to encoding --> character sets --> cyrillic --> windows-1251. but then when I open it in another view it shows UTF-8 encoding so it only shows a character set over utf-8 or something. what troubles me more (as you see below) is that the file from the version that worked looks exactly the same and I did the same thing but it works and the previous version does not... ??? :? :?: I guess it doesn't save the windows-1251 encoding just for misc.xml

I am thoroughly confused about this now. when you said the first string is irrelevant what do you mean by that? I really don't understand any of this encoding business... I commented it out and in to no avail

for now, I guess I just won't touch that misc file and just translate the other stuff, because when I translated those new tips (somehow I got new tips into the misc file) it didn't work apparently.

maybe if I just translate all of the tips at once then save there won't be a problem. won't clear my confusion though :|

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hooray! I narrowed it down to the misc.xml file being wacky! EDIT: started comment before reply

apparently the misc.xml file was corrupted or something so I replaced it with the one from the version that worked. I tried changing the encoding style of the version that broke but that didn't do anything. I figured that I hadn't even done any alterations/translation to the events_zoltan.xml file and for that matter I've hardly touched events (starting beacons and end sector is what I have so far I think. also a bunch of "Continue..."'s that were previously in russian were changed to english because those were easy and the same.)

so here is a version with the new (old? heh) misc.xml file in place and it works fine.

Here is a changelog with what's in the mod so far

Code: Select all

Changelog:
v 0.51
- fixed the issues with the SMM patching failing
- state of misc.xml file unknown. tips about new weapon types are probably still in Russian

v 0.1 - v 0.4
- start sector beacons, some empty beacons, sector 8 main quest starting beacon events
- bunch of "Continue..." 's in place of the Russian ones
- weapons, drones, augs., etc. in blueprints.xml probably 45% done. still need some adjustments
- race types and abilites translated
- DLC ships file fully translated (except for weapons, drones, augs., etc. which are in the base mod)
- first dialog box with crew members while waiting for FTL to charge translated.

Here are the new download links:

Mediafire download for Arsenal+ base mod English Translation

Mediafire download for DLC ships English Translation

To-do:
- events... there are ... so many

- missiles, half of the drones, half of the weapons probably, in blueprints.xml

- I haven't touched the other blueprints files (autoBlueprints.xml, dlcBlueprints.xml, etc.) so there's probably stuff there.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:01 pm

updated the DLC ships with minor description changes

Mediafire download link:
Click here for the DLC ships English Translation v 0.21

also, some of the descriptions just don't translate correctly... for example
the Slug C description translates to
"Captain slugs saved on the entire row when collecting the ship. I wonder how long it will stretch a piece of plate?"

what does that mean?
maybe piece of plate is referring to the ship's hull? it is rusty after all...
EDIT: yes, that must be it. "I wonder how long this rust bucket will last?" fits well.

Russian for reference: Капитан слизней экономил на всём подряд, когда собирал этот корабль. Интересно, как долго протянет эта посудина?

also, for some reason the Rockmen sometimes translate as Prophets... this is probably not the intended name

the description on Rock A doesn't follow either.

I like how the Order Cruiser (Lanius type B) has implemented the roulette thing from the sM Polish Kit. people should use that more. it only works/makes sense if you have enough weapons to shift around in roulette.

Changelog:
v 0.21
- fixed a translation error

v 0.2
- Edited some of the descriptions
- some descriptions are still a little wacky

v 0.1
- Initial translation of DLC ships

bamalf

Postby bamalf » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:35 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:"I wonder how long this rust bucket will last?"
is the correct translation. You can mail me tricky suggestions on bamalf@mail.ru
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 pm

Completely translated the misc.xml file, which consists of the tips about the new types of weapons. needed to fully translate it otherwise the mod wouldn't patch so...

Click here for the download link for Arsenal+ base mod English Translation v0.55

Changelog:
v 0.55
- misc.xml file translated completely, consisting of tips about the new types of weapons
- still need to work out a couple of translation errors

v 0.51
- fixed the issues with the SMM patching failing
- state of misc.xml file unknown. tips about new weapon types are probably still in Russian

v 0.1 - v 0.4
- start sector beacons, some empty beacons, sector 8 main quest starting beacon events
- bunch of "Continue..." 's in place of the Russian ones
- weapons, drones, augs., etc. in blueprints.xml probably 45% done. still need some adjustments
- race types and abilites translated
- DLC ships file fully translated (except for weapons, drones, augs., etc. which are in the base mod)
- first dialog box with crew members while waiting for FTL to charge translated.

fixed a grammar issue in the DLC ships
EDIT: doesn't seem like I actually uploaded it and I provided the wrong link here it is, sorry about that
Click here for Mediafire download for DLC ships English Translation v 0.22

Changelog:
v 0.22
- fixed a grammar issue with the Mini Laser Artillery

v 0.21
- fixed a translation error

v 0.2
- Edited some of the descriptions
- some descriptions are still a little wacky

v 0.1
- Initial translation of DLC ships
Last edited by mr_easy_money on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:22 am

Added some events and words to events. At least for some events you will know which crew member is with that special blue option.
NOTE that there are a lot of events, and while I go through and translate what takes me hours to get right, in the grand scheme of all the events is like nothing. so maybe you're thinking why keep making new posts? you barely added anything... well I guess I just want to release the latest version and track my progress.

I think I should archive the .ftl file of the Arsenal base mod translation into a .rar file so that you only download the compressed file. that would make the download a lot easier to download -- more convenient, more portable. maybe even easier to update for yourself (not me :lol: )

anyways, I'll do that from the next one on. also, the top post is blank because I'm still waiting to see if it can be restored. wait a while I guess and if that doesn't work I'll just start anew. honestly I can't recall what exactly I added... :| so a changelog might not be needed for these kinds of updates. I guess when I finish altogether a significant portion I'll add that to the changelog

Click here for the download link for Arsenal+ base mod English Translation v0.6

I honestly do not think I will be able to finish this before my studies start, it is just that huge. even replacing all the vanilla events takes a lot of time, so I can't even begin to think about how long this will take. just keep going and adding so progress will be made
I think that events_civilian.xml is probably priority right now events-wise (since it is the starting sector every time). still there is a LOT to translate
FearTheBlaziken

Postby FearTheBlaziken » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:14 pm

bamalf wrote:Maybe you should contact with FearThe Blaziken, he also tried to translate arsenal + viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29385#p101125

mr_easy_money wrote:[size=125]
I also found out what an UnmappableCharacterException and here's the def:
Checked exception thrown when an input character (or byte) sequence is valid but cannot be mapped to an output byte (or character) sequence.
So basically when an input character can't be mapped to output

so I reinstalled everything, which didn't fix anything. so I looked at the log files of SMM. when I ran the version that worked fine at every file that ended in .xml.rawclobber worked. when I ran the version that keeps breaking, it broke right after events_zoltan.xml.rawclobber.

now I'm not exactly sure what a rawclobber file type is, just that it makes the text raw?? for SMM or something.

I have the feeling trying to fix this issue might take up more time than just trying to re-translate everything again with the version that works fine. but all that progress will go to waste...

thought I should include these:
version that breaks:

INFO  ModPatchThread - Installing mod: Arsenal+1.20 English-G v0.45.ftl
INFO  ModsScanThread - Background hashing finished.
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/achievements.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/animations.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/autoBlueprints.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/bosses.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcAnimations.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcBlueprints.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcEvents.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcEventsOverwrite.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcEvents_anaerobic.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/dlcPirateBlueprints.xml
WARN  ModPatchThread - Copying xml as raw text: data/events_zoltan.xml
ERROR ModPatchThread - Patching failed. java.nio.charset.UnmappableCharacterException: Input length = 1
        at java.nio.charset.CoderResult.throwException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implWrite(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.write(Unknown Source)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.EOLWriter.write(EOLWriter.java:75)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.EOLWriter.write(EOLWriter.java:81)
        at java.io.Writer.write(Unknown Source)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.write(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:342)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printComment(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:711)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printContent(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:940)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.printElement(SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.java:113)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.printDocument(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:533)
        at org.jdom2.output.support.AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.process(AbstractXMLOutputProcessor.java:191)
        at org.jdom2.output.XMLOutputter.output(XMLOutputter.java:822)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.sloppyPrint(SloppyXMLOutputProcessor.java:165)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModUtilities.rebuildXMLFile(ModUtilities.java:297)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModPatchThread.patch(ModPatchThread.java:310)
        at net.vhati.modmanager.core.ModPatchThread.run(ModPatchThread.java:88)

INFO  ModsScanThread - Background metadata caching finished.

so there's a problem between events_zoltan and nameEvents.xml? or am I just reading this all wrong.

So far, I have also encountered the same issue as mr_easy_money did with his translation, but I decided to just focus on translating everything properly and get rid of the Russian Text to solve the problem. (I have also tried copying and pasting the text onto another xml document with little success)

The issue with using Google Translate rather than consulting an actual Russian translator is that it replaces some words and rearranges the sentence in a unusual manner, leading to a completely different event/description. I looked into mr_easy_money's translation and ended up finding an (admittedly) hilarious description for the Zoltan Shield Bypass Augment.

<title>Bypass super shield</title>
   <desc>It allows you to work through the super shield teleportation crew bong bang and Mind Control.</desc>

Original Description for Comparison
   <title>Zoltan Shield Bypass</title>
   <desc>Allows crew/bomb teleportation and mind control to work through Super Shields.</desc>

What I am doing is rewriting bamalf's own events and blueprints using FTL Insurrection and CE (Arsenal+ contains equipment from both mods) as a reference, so that they still fit in the event and also make sense in a grammatical way.
(bamalf, don't take this seriously., but did you translate the Original FTL Events on your own or used a online translator?)

Here is an example of a Confused Engi responding to your hails.

Example of Original Text ruined due to Google Translate (See what I mean?):

The connection goes inzhi [Engi] with black bandage on his head. He occasionally shudders and hangs a little, but you parse his words: "We - the soothsayers [Mantis], the most warlike race in the universe. We leave you alive, but you ship us all that there is.

Rewritten Text:

An Engi bearing a Black Bandana for unknown reasons responds to your hail. He stutters while talking but you're able to grasp his words, "Foolish Meatsack! You stand no chance against us, surrender your goods if you want to live."

Given what I've done while others were not active, I can now say that I've polished the Polish Kit. Release coming soon, but not from me.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:51 pm

FearTheBlaziken wrote:(bamalf, don't take this seriously., but did you translate the Original FTL Events on your own or used a online translator?)
Translation team into the Russian language consisted of about 20 people :) translation polished for months
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:22 pm

FearTheBlaziken wrote:So far, I have also encountered the same issue as mr_easy_money did with his translation, but I decided to just focus on translating everything properly and get rid of the Russian Text to solve the problem. (I have also tried copying and pasting the text onto another xml document with little success)

For some reason I have only encountered that it happens with misc.xml. not sure why it's like that though.
FearTheBlaziken wrote:The issue with using Google Translate rather than consulting an actual Russian translator is that it replaces some words and rearranges the sentence in a unusual manner, leading to a completely different event/description. I looked into mr_easy_money's translation and ended up finding an (admittedly) hilarious description for the Zoltan Shield Bypass Augment.

bamalf wrote:Translation team into the Russian language consisted of about 20 people :) translation polished for months

:o I don't have that kind of resource... which is why I'm relying on Google Translate (which is mostly better than other translators) but also leads to false translations like you described
FearTheBlaziken wrote:What I am doing is rewriting bamalf's own events and blueprints using FTL Insurrection and CE (Arsenal+ contains equipment from both mods) as a reference, so that they still fit in the event and also make sense in a grammatical way.

I noticed this, and also to note is that there are vanilla events in there that are unchanged.
FearTheBlaziken wrote:Here is an example of a Confused Engi responding to your hails.

Example of Original Text ruined due to Google Translate (See what I mean?):

The connection goes inzhi [Engi] with black bandage on his head. He occasionally shudders and hangs a little, but you parse his words: "We - the soothsayers [Mantis], the most warlike race in the universe. We leave you alive, but you ship us all that there is.

Rewritten Text:

An Engi bearing a Black Bandana for unknown reasons responds to your hail. He stutters while talking but you're able to grasp his words, "Foolish Meatsack! You stand no chance against us, surrender your goods if you want to live."

yes, foolish meatsack is something that the Mantis would say, but is that what was intended? Isn't it more like you dropped the first part of the quote and replaced it with Mantis attitude toward humans?

on another note, I have been notified that my original post has not only been deleted, but is unable to be restored. Which is a shame really, but it was a mistake, and there's no reason to get angry at others, because that leads nowhere. So instead, just be more careful for those who have that kind of power. I figured there was too much space taken up by text anyways. I'm a rambler if you haven't already realized...

good thing I've been keeping a changelog to document my progress. update the main post with links and changelog soon.

@FearTheBlaziken uh, how far are you with the translation? you've been at it since May, whereas I only started a couple days ago. you gotta be way ahead of me...
FearTheBlaziken

Postby FearTheBlaziken » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:
FearTheBlaziken wrote:

yes, foolish meatsack is something that the Mantis would say, but is that what was intended? Isn't it more like you dropped the first part of the quote and replaced it with Mantis attitude toward humans?

This event (according to Google Translate) is about an Engi that mistakes itself as a Mantis due to its ship colliding with a Mantis ship, essentially the reverse role of the Robert Smith Event.

mr_easy_money wrote:
FearTheBlaziken wrote:What I am doing is rewriting bamalf's own events and blueprints using FTL Insurrection and CE (Arsenal+ contains equipment from both mods) as a reference, so that they still fit in the event and also make sense in a grammatical way.

I noticed this, and also to note is that there are vanilla events in there that are unchanged.

I am only rewriting the Events and Blueprints of Arsenal+, not the vanilla game itself. For that I am simply copying text from the Original Game into the Translated vanilla events. I am still using Google Translate to get a clue on what an event is about, but all Vanilla Events should have the same text as normal.

bamalf wrote:Translation team into the Russian language consisted of about 20 people :) translation polished for months

@bamalf I see, Maybe I also should get a proper translator to assist in the added Events once the Vanilla events are translated.

mr_easy_money wrote:@FearTheBlaziken uh, how far are you with the translation? you've been at it since May, whereas I only started a couple days ago. you gotta be way ahead of me...

Well I was quite busy with School Work as well, and I also have faced the UnmappableCharacterException issue that you have faced.

Currently I translated most of the Ships in 'autoBlueprints.xml', the Augments and Player ship descriptions, some parts of the crew interaction event, and the Vanilla events of Sector 8 and the Crystal Homeworlds (Excluding external events from 'events.xml').

I have also recreated the Credits in 'misc.xml' as well as a new title screen (If I edit the old title screen to credit the translations, It would look extremely jarring), but I have done no work on the DLC addon whatsoever.

Given what I've done while others were not active, I can now say that I've polished the Polish Kit. Release coming soon, but not from me.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:05 pm

FearTheBlaziken wrote:Currently I translated most of the Ships in 'autoBlueprints.xml', the Augments and Player ship descriptions, some parts of the crew interaction event, and the Vanilla events of Sector 8 and the Crystal Homeworlds (Excluding external events from 'events.xml').

I have also recreated the Credits in 'misc.xml' as well as a new title screen (If I edit the old title screen to credit the translations, It would look extremely jarring), but I have done no work on the DLC addon whatsoever.

okay, so maybe we can combine our efforts? the best thing about it is if someone has an incorrect translation you can always go back to the non-translated version and search by tag/name of the blueprint/event which are in all caps (e.g. DE_DRONE_MISSILES_LIGHT_FIRE). I've got a number of the weapons and drones translated. Sure it might not be perfect translations, they can be corrected. I'd rather focus on getting as much of it translated okay, then polishing it up, but maybe that's not the right way to think about it. it's quite a killer mod :D

even though it's a good deal you have done, when compared to the entire thing there is still a lot left to do.