[OVERHAUL] Arsenal+ English Translation

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: [MOD][WIP]Arsenal+ English Translation Attempt

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:08 pm

yeah so I took the download link down for v 0.5 because I'm running into the same UnmappableCharacterException error which happened to misc.xml, and there is some funky stuff going on in the "STRANDED" chain of events in the events.xml file for whatever reason. It's strange because when I looked at the chain, there appeared to be an event tag, missing, but then I copied the Russian version verbatim, and it didn't work but the Russian version did, but more importantly when I validated the Russian version it was fine... I can't wrap my head around it because it looked like there were some closing event tags without being opened : </event>. Even stranger, when I commented out the code, SMM when validating it still put up the same error even though I COMMENTED it out... :? :? :?

there is also a duplicate hidden="true" expression is some line of code 1000 lines later. This is probably not the source of the problem though

so instead, like what I did with misc.xml, and with what @FearTheBlaziken found, Ive decided for the time being to get rid of all the russian in events.xml, then put it back in later. translating is going to take longer than simply getting rid of the russian. I can always refer back to the original Russian 1.21 by looking at the event codes. It sure isn't the best solution, or even a solution really, but at least the changes gameplay wise in terms of rewards are changed.

only problem with the above is that when you were reading the Russian you could have had some vague idea, but now you won't because those events won't tell you anything other than 1, 2, 3, etc. blue options

if this is a problem with SMM, then I'll find out once I get rid of all the text
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:05 am

okay so, with the help of @bamalf, the Arsenal+ 1.21 English Data file is working and patches fine now.

the problem was in 2 places:
1. events_nebula.xml was where at line 1572 there was an <event> tag in between <choice> tags which caused an issue.

2. the solution to the UnmappableCharacterException was that autoBlueprints was having issues because (probably) of characters that it couldn't support due to the encoding in utf-8. The fix to this is to create a blank file, copy everything from autoBlueprints.xml, replace "utf-8" with "windows-1251" (or "win-1251" which I think works fine as well), and save the newly made file as autoBlueprints.xml

I think the problem that happens is that once there is a character that doesn't work in utf-8 encoding, SMM has trouble patching due to an UnmappableCharacterException (can't map a character to an existing set of characters, so it doesn't know how to handle it (i.e. it doesn't know that character, and it isn't in the set, so it has no idea what to do, and subsequently fails to patch). (like asking you to tell me a character in Russian even though you've never seen that character ever before. what do you do? can't simply say: "No." and move on. must tell about such characters somehow by catching the exception, but that would be just plain tedious doing it for all cases where this happens)

the other thing is that once a file has been set to utf-8 in the first statement, the whole file is treated as utf-8 from then on and any attempts to change it don't do anything because the file has already been changed. (like a permanent stamp, stamped onto the file. you can place more stamps but only the first one counts. however, if you get a fresh sheet of paper and stamp it "windows-1251", now the first stamp "windows-1251" is the only one that counts).

disclaimer: those examples are my understanding of it. I could be wrong about those and I'm not even completely sure about them. however, I still have more events to translate! :!: :!: :!:
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 am

Hey! We have released a minor update with a new main menu image by Demisir! I hope you will enjoy :) . More pictures are here: http://joyreactor.cc/post/2811435
Image Image Image
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:14 am

You should rename this mod into "FTL - badass edition"! :mrgreen:

The Solid-Mantis and Mr.Slurp! are just awesome :D :D
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:40 pm

bamalf wrote:Hey! We have released a minor update with a new main menu image by Demisir! I hope you will enjoy :)

Looks cool! :D
Is there anything else changed in the update that I should know about? will get that image in there soon. will need to edit the metadata.xml in the same update, so I have to figure out how to word that.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:09 am

I left a mark 1.22 and 1.22.1 in the code for you ;)
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:06 pm

bamalf wrote:I left a mark 1.22 and 1.22.1 in the code for you ;)

ok thanks. will check them out when I get the chance. Those really make it easy to make changes. Will try to push out the next update within the week. :)

EDIT: Are there any other non-data changes (like stuff in the img folder changed other than the main menu cover)?
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:47 pm

All changes I wrote in comments near 1.22 tags, including img stuff
Image Image Image
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:46 am

bamalf wrote:All changes I wrote in comments near 1.22 tags, including img stuff

this wasn't necessary, just let me know that some of the weapons were changed, so that I can just replace the entire weapons folder. adding on to that, is there anything else changed in the img folder other than weapons?

I'd like to note that there were some weapons (and some events, still in the process of going through them) I found because certain parts of them were changed, but I didn't even know they were there to begin with :roll: (that is, I didn't even put them in because I didn't know they were there, as they weren't specified as a change in v1.21, for example the hal prototype)

also, thank you for showing me http://www.ftlarsenalwiki.com is a website that exists. google translate lets you translate an entire site. sure, you can't fiddle around with the text, but this will be helpful nonetheless.

last thing is that there is a problem with "HEAVY_MINIGUN" that was never fixed. This weapon is the Heavy Chain Vulcan laser. let's see:

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="HEAVY_MINIGUN"> <!--  shouldn't this be 2 damage instead of 2 shots??  flagged -->
   <type>LASER</type>
   <title>Heavy Chain Vulcan</title>
   <short>H. Vulcan</short>
   <tip>tip_chain_vulkan</tip>
   <desc>This modification of the chain vulcan deals extra crew damage.</desc>
   <tooltip>Время перезарядки сокращается с каждым выстрелом.</tooltip>
   <persDamage>1</persDamage>
   <damage>1</damage>
   <shots>2</shots>
   <sp>0</sp>
   <fireChance>1</fireChance>
   <breachChance>0</breachChance>
   <cooldown>13</cooldown>
   <power>4</power>
   <cost>125</cost><!--originally 95-->
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>5</rarity>
   <image>laser_minigun_brust</image> <!-- 1.22 --> <!-- changed .png -->
   <boost>
      <type>cooldown</type>
      <amount>2</amount>
      <count>5</count>
   </boost>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>laser_minigun</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>hitHull2</sound>
      <sound>hitHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>
      <sound>hitShield1</sound>
      <sound>hitShield2</sound>
      <sound>hitShield3</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>laser_minigun</weaponArt>
   <iconImage>laser_chain</iconImage>
</weaponBlueprint>

something looks a little off... huh what's this?

Code: Select all

<damage>1</damage>
   <shots>2</shots>

how come the Vulcan fires 2 shots instead of doing double damage?

so, like I said, I'll try to push an update soon. note that this update will not be a translation update, but a content update. there will ofc be various grammar fixes and possible translation of some events, but that is not the main goal of this update

on a side note, ending in .rawappend vs .rawclobber seems to mess up the cyrillic font

EDIT: another side note. have the DLC ships been updated recently?
a different side note. I have yet to dig into the Arsenal+ Infinite mod, as I have never actually known what's in that mod (as in what gets changed). another thing for the to-do list

EDIT 2: Is the Lilith missile launcher supposed to have a guaranteed stun? I think there's an error there were instead of a 1 second stun there should be a stun chance of 1
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 am

mr_easy_money wrote:is there anything else changed in the img folder other than weapons?

changes were also in main_menus, stars, people folders (see their change date)
mr_easy_money wrote:how come the Vulcan fires 2 shots instead of doing double damage?

it works better in this case - hit the shields often, totally misses less. You can call it "assault vulcan" instead "heavy"
mr_easy_money wrote:have the DLC ships been updated recently?

Nope.
mr_easy_money wrote:I have yet to dig into the Arsenal+ Infinite mod

It has not been updated to the latest version yet.
mr_easy_money wrote:Is the Lilith missile launcher supposed to have a guaranteed stun? I think there's an error there were instead of a 1 second stun there should be a stun chance of 1

It is not an error.
Image Image Image