[SHIPS][AE] Monster World

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
PLIOU

Re: [SHIPS][AE] Monster World

Postby PLIOU » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:36 am

Hello! I recently uploaded the Moth and the Fire Ant . I want to thank everyone for their nice comments! But feel free to give some strict judgement around anything you think I should change. At this stage I can only make ships and weapons . Any other ideas and help is welcome.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:55 pm

[shameless self-promotion]
If you want to take it to the next level, grab MTE2 and open it. Analyse its contents. Read how the code is used, and get a good understanding of what a person can do with event editing. In that mod there are examples of basically everything you can do with the tools we've got. (by tools i mean the actual XML elements) (...the only thing i didn't cover in MTE2 is the modifyPursuit tag, which behaves differently from the old FTL i think?)
[/shameless self-promotion]

Now, i'm promoting this thing because i really believe it's better than the old MTE, and because i think if people opened and looked at its code they could learn a lot. >_>

About the ships: I just really like the way you use existing things to make insect-looking ships. That moth... jesus fuck it's so cute!!! The major problem with your hulls, from a strictly artistic standpoint, is that the parts you use are often visibly resized. I mean, I accepted this fact and it's of course the thing that allows you to do such special designs, but if you want to you could... I don't know, re-trace the resized parts maybe?

Again, seeing the bicubic interpolation doesn't matter to me in your case because of how original and good your ship look, but if you want to make your ships look even better consider trying to make them pixel-perfect, so to say. (this term is misused in this context, but i mean like... redraw the lines and fix the fills so that in the end your hull doesn't look as if it came from a jpeg that has seen better days)

PS: also, i can't talk about balancing or anything because i have never played any of these ships. :( I have time to criticise but not to play, lol!
ImageImageImageImageImage
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:24 pm

I will check the database you recommend once I'm finished with ships , I will try to make a sector that the (not so) monsters I made attack you . The images uploaded here are not as good as the ones in game , I thought I shouldnt overload the page with png's. The previous mod I made with the 20 ships :lol: was a complete disaster because off the resizing and rotation of images . It had some good ideas though. I learned from that and the monster world ships (except from the octopus) have no resized or strange angle rotated ship parts . I cut copy paste pixels and draw new parts where needed . Those crystal clear pixels look really cool I know what you mean .

I'm really thankful for your feedback Taxi service good luck with what you do .
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:02 am

Frenzy updates :
A completely new hull for the spider and a shield . It's spider number 3 so far . I think it's a good one this time .
The octopus had a small boost on the background shadow . I don't know if I should remake this . It's a resized hull image but from bigger to smaller.
A completely new hull for The Crab with proper shadows and a repainted crab weapon , changed some weapon mount values .
The fly now has a cloak image that's on the correct spot , also the explosion gibs are the actual parts of the fly and not from an older version.
The stingray had some small mistakes on some shadows and some details . A small graphics improvement.
The moth's chainsaw had some changes on how and from where it shoots ,the missile weapon got slimmer . The weapon mount places changed .
The fire ant's gibs are now in place .
Mostly graphics corrections , that had to be done .

Also a new monster appeared , the Hippopotamus . It's a very dangerous animal !
Yizzzy

Postby Yizzzy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:23 am

This is awesome. The ships look even more polished than before. I'm definitely gonna try that hippo ship.
ImageClick the ship for more! With new ships updated frequently.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Oh man, I've not been keeping up to date with this. The Moth ship is stunningly beautiful!
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Yizzzy

Postby Yizzzy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:56 am

So I think my favorite is probably the Fire Ant. It's like Rock B, but with a teleporter and good fire chance. Pretty strong ;)
ImageClick the ship for more! With new ships updated frequently.
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:52 am

Hello everyone .

Reply to Gencool :
Thank you for your nice comment , I think the moth is a quite simple drawing and I did not make good shades , both sides are the same only one is darker , Its face is cute though . It could have been better .The moth is the most friendly and harmless creature off the mod.

Reply to Yizzzy :
I try to imitate the real life tactics and characteristics of the creatures , so a massive invasion attack is similar to the fire ant battle strategy . It's kind of weird that I used the rockmen in an ant but I like it for some reasons .
I don't want to compare ships , the original ones are kind of sacred but yes the fire ant is similar to the Rock B . I could have just used the Shivan with just adding a big teleporter but it's fun making ships .

The next two ships will be 2 classic awesome monsters . The Griffin made from the stealth fighter and the Cerberus guardian made from the Kestrel . I'm not sure yet about the second .

Have fun with your mods !!!
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:57 am

Just wanna say that the Hippopotamus and the Moth have nice art.
PLIOU

Postby PLIOU » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:10 am

Hello Narnkar and thank you . It's based on the original art of the game so it's not my art I'm just a name in here .