[Ship][AE] The Manticore

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
flamingo

[Ship][AE] The Manticore

Postby flamingo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:27 pm

I am working on a new, 'D' variation of all the original ships. My idea is in most cases to preserve the spirit of the original versions (even if only loosely) and, in some cases, to have access to certain weapons/equipment, allowing for specific playstiles from the start of a game. I'm trying to keep the ships at a reasonable power level.

I just want to share the mantis ship I made.

THE MANTICORE

Description:
The limitations of this mantis ship are offset by a great potential as a boarding vehicle.

Systems:
Shields IIII
Engines I
Life Support I
Drones II (initial drone parts: 5)
Piloting I
Sensors I
Doors I
Teleporting II

Reactor: 8

Equipment:
Reconstructive Teleport
Beam Drone

Crew:
1 Slug
2 Mantis

I wanted to build a typically mantis ship with a couple of twists to make it somewhat unique. The 2x2 teleport room, combined with the Reconstructive Teleport augment, makes it probably overpowered. Hopefuly the lack of weapons (and only two weapon slots when purchased) will compensate a little bit for that. The beam drone is there in a purely supporting role. It should only be activated to remove zoltan shields or to finish off AI ships once the regular shields have been dealt with.

Known bugs:
The lack of a weapons system misplaces the drones slots, which overlay with the teleportation buttons. This is not really a problem when it comes to play, but it can be a little awkward.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot80qk42bezb1 ... e.ftl?dl=0

Credits:
FTL Team, for the game and for the hull I edited.
kartoFlane, for the Superluminal ship creation tool I used.
sign1000

Re: [Ship][AE] The Manticore

Postby sign1000 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:07 pm

I find it kind of interesting that the only way to heal in this ship (at the start) is to go to the hostile ship :P
So if the ship's O2 goes down rapidly (to the point where there is no air) the slug can teleport to safety inside an enemy ship.
Of course... if you were facing an AI ship that has no O2... the only way to possibly survive is to keep teleporting (if you have 2 - 3 power bars in the teleporting system.) :twisted:
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Seeing that just like O2, the weapons are a system that come standard with each ship, does that mean you adjusted the value of it in stores? If not, you're not very likely to be out of weapon system for very long if it pops up for free. Unless you're going for a unique system combination like buying drones, mindcontroll, hack and cloak.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
flamingo

Postby flamingo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:09 pm

That's a fair point, I didn't adjust the weapon system value in stores. The lack of weapons was mostly an aesthetic choice, a way of saying 'See, I'm defeating your ship and I don't even have weapons!'.

The cost in stores is only 20 scrap, a real bargain for its actual value, but still worth something at the beginning of the game (at least in hard mode, in which the scrap is short). You are right in saying that usually the system will be purchased as soon as it is found, but it still has to appear, and it still takes a system slot. Thing is, it is not an essential system for the ship's playstile, even when it is at least a very good purchase in any situation.
flamingo

Postby flamingo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 pm

sign1000, regarding the broken O2, I hadn't really thought about it. I can see how it could lead to situations where you don't want to come back to your ship because you don't have the time to repair the O2 and come back to the teleporter. Obviously, the O2 should be repaired while there's still oxygen, but this may happen. It's quite a corner case and not exclusive to this ship (I once had a situation in which my crew couldn't leave the medbay to go repair the O2 because they'd die in the process), but I prefer to avoid favoring this kind of situations. I think this can be mitigated by simply placing the O2 system next to the teleporter, so at least the returning crew don't have to cross the ship to get to the O2. I've updated the file with this change.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:33 am

Nah, leave it like that, it makes it challenging.

Just upgrade your O2 room and you should be fine.
If you still have problems then make sure to buy an engi or a system repair drone.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
porcu93

Postby porcu93 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Another ship without a working link, another ship recreated. I didn't know where the missing system would end up, so I did my best to give sense to what I've decided on. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1am9Yr-LXmLsU5Y2qjG_t--JOilN8vflf/view?usp=sharing
Enjoy.