[Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.3.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

[Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.3.0

Postby rannl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Following the work done on the Flagship randomizing tool, here's another variation of it's randomizing potential :

The Rantrel tool is a generator for randomized player ships - the original ships are modifed based on a random selection from a pool of images, layouts, systems, weapons and crew members.

The generated ships resource pools are based on the A/B/C ship configurations, with a few experimental configurations added in, just to make things a little more interesting (for example : a fast attack stealth ship build without shields or cloaking, a 2 weapon 4 drone slot engi build, a fire starting rock build, a no teleporter with boarding drone mantis build, and a no life support lanius build).

The tool supports randomization of all the player ships : a random ship for each of the ship build slots (3 varients for all ships with the exception of the crystal and the lanius ships which only have 2 varients).

The usage is simple : run the .exe file for windows or .sh for linux.
Mac OS users should make sure the .sh has executable permissions on their system.
The permissions can be changed using the OS terminal, as seen here

The tool requires a java version of 1.7 and above.
You can select via GUI a build type for the randomized ship, and where to store the generated .ftl file.

The tool supports either an AE vanilla FTL build or an AE Captain's Edition build (must have CE installed in order to use).

You can check out Biohazard063's playthroughs with Randtrel ships on youtube here (from episode 84 and onwards).

A review of this mod has been done by 5th Horseman, you can find it here.

Vanguard of Valor has also done a review of this mod, which you can view here.

CabbageJazzFunk's channel has several videos of Randtrel runs, including Captain's Edition, Endless Loot and the Flagship Randomizor. You can view it here.

Randtrel v1.3.0

You are also welcome to try this tool's sister mod : the flagship randomizing tool.
Flagship Randomizer

Here are some examples of the random ships you might get (a mix of AE and ACE builds):

Code: Select all

Changelog 1.3.0:
* Added support for CE's arti weapons for all random ships.

Changelog 1.2.0:
* Randomized hulls and layouts will be unique for each ship slot (A/B/C unique builds).
* Fixed bug in save path location, now sace path will be stored and used correctly.
* Fixed duplication in engi layouts (3 and 6 were the same layout, now they are different layouts).

Changelog 1.1.3:
* Fixed bug in fed arti weapons (fed arti weapons will not appear in shops).

Changelog 1.1.2:
* Fed ships no longer share the same random arti weapon (each fed ship randomizes its own arti weapon).
* Reduced number of files in mod (~25% size reduction).

Changelog 1.1.1:
* Fixed missing shields and cloaking images bug for B/C random ships.

Changelog 1.1.0:
* Added creation of randomized ships for the B and C slots of all the ships.

Changelog 1.0.0:
* Added a randomized crystal A cruiser, with assets based on B as well.
* Added some fine tuning to the weapon pools.

Changelog 0.14.1:
* Save path for .ftl generated file is stored and used during future Randtrel activations.
* Changed all ship names to derivatives of the 'Rand' prefix (Randtrel,Randorus, etc..).

Changelog 0.14.0:
* Added a randomized lanius A cruiser, with assets based on B as well.
* Fixed airlocks to some of the zoltan layouts.
* Replaced fed cruiser pink hull images.

Changelog 0.13.1:
* Fixed bug in zoltan layouts.

Changelog 0.13.0:
* Added a randomized zoltan A cruiser, with assets based on B and C as well.
* Fixed jar file name in .sh exec file for linux/mac.

Changelog 0.12.1:
* Fixed bug with fed random arti weapons (multishot weapons changed to burst type).

Changelog 0.12.0:
* Added a randomized slug A cruiser, with assets based on B and C as well.
* Added mini images (found in the hanger ship list and the scoreboard) for the random ships.

Changelog 0.11.0:
* Added specific floor layout images to all ships.
* Reduced size of tool and resources by half.
* Replaced .sh executable with a smaller version with better Mac OS compatability.

Changelog 0.10.1:
* Updated random arti weapons - shooting weapons fire at least twice, added more shots to weapons with fewer shots.

Changelog 0.10.0:
* Added a randomized fed A cruiser, with assets based on B and C as well.

Changelog 0.92:
* Fixed non working airlock issues with the kestral builds.

Changelog 0.91:
* Updated Randasio weapon pool.

Changelog 0.9:
* Added a randomized mantis cruiser, with assets based on B and (semi) C as well.
* Recolored the bright yellow kestral hull.
* Added cloaking images with the kestral 2 stripes (thanks to RR).

Changelog 0.8:
* Added a randomized rock A cruiser, with assets based on B and C as well.
* Some bug fixes.

Changelog 0.7:
* Added ship image pools for all ships.
* Added more weapon/system pools for the Randasio.
* Some bug fixes.

Changelog 0.6:
* Added a randomized stealth A cruiser, with assets based on B and C as well.
* Randomized stealth ship also has a fast attack build without cloaking, based on fast charging weapons.

Changelog 0.51:
* Added new layouts for the randtrel and randorus.
* Added supoort for using different images for rooms.
* Minor updates to randorus weapon pool.
* Added more system configurations for the randorus.

Changelog 0.5:
* Added a randomized engi A cruiser.
* Generated the .exe file via a better JVM recognizing tool.

Changelog 0.42:
* Fixed bug in weapon generation causing crashes.

Changelog 0.41:
* Fixed some layout bugs.
* A little rebalancing of weapon configurations.

Changelog 0.4:
* Added GUI for simpler usage.
* Added CE build for randomized ship (must have CE installed in order to use).
* Added the lanius to the crew random pool.

Changelog 0.32:
* Fixed randomization of starting drones amount.

Changelog 0.31:
* Layouts updated to use only 1x2,2x1 and 2x2 rooms.

Changelog 0.3:
* Added more ship layouts to the asset pools.
* Added more weapon configurations to the asset pools.
* Added more system configurations to the asset pools.
* Randomizing starting amount of drones, or no drones at all but with an augment.

Changelog 0.2:
* Added several random ship layouts to the asset pools.

Changelog 0.1:
* Fixed output name to Randtrel.ftl.
* Added more weapon configurations to the random asset pool.
* Added more crew configurations to the random asset pool.

I've included a guide for creating more randomized content for this tool :
Randtrel Asset Creation Guide

If wish to create more content and have it added to the tool, so that more ships can be randomly generated, you are more then welcome to do so :)

Big thanks to the following :
Sleeper Service for the inspiration, love of modding, magnificent Captain's Edition, and the Randtrel image.
Vhati for the remarkable SMM tool which makes all .ftl mods possible.
KartoFlane for the amazing Superluminal tool which allowed easy layout creation, and his good advice.
Russian Rockman, the Rockman and Gentleman, for his great and detailed comments, and for the kestral cloaking image.
stylesrj for kestral images used in the hull asset pool.
Biohazard063 for doing youtube gameplays of the Randtrel ships and his comments.
5th Horseman for his youtube review of this tool/mod.
VoV for his youtube review of this tool/mod.

So give it a try and have fun ;)
Last edited by rannl on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 55 times in total.
Russian Rockman

Re: [Alpha] The Randtrel

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:02 pm

A lot of people have been asking for something like this for a long time. This has as much potential as the flagship randomizer. Nice job, again. :)
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:43 am

Russian Rockman wrote:A lot of people have been asking for something like this for a long time. This has as much potential as the flagship randomizer. Nice job, again. :)

Thanks RR. I'm hoping to get some feedback so I can create a bigger asset pool for the kestrel randomization.

Please comment and add your thoughts and ideas, I'd love to know what the other modders think :)
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:34 am

This sounds amazing, I'll give it a try, but sadly I don't think immediately. Business and I'll wait 'till it's out of alpha.
I would love to see some sample screenshots on the page here.

I've been looking for something like this and a different way of boss battles since I first beat the game.

Absolutely delicious.
rannl

Postby rannl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Updated tool, see OP.
rannl

Re: [Ship Alpha] The Randtrel v0.2

Postby rannl » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Updated tool, added ship layout randomization.

rannl

Re: [Ship Alpha] The Randtrel v0.3

Postby rannl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Released update :

Changelog 0.3:
* Added more ship layouts to the asset pools.
* Added more weapon configurations to the asset pools.
* Added more system configurations to the asset pools.
* Randomizing starting amount of drones, or no drones at all but with an augment.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Finally got a chance to test this out, here's some quick thoughts:

-You should avoid layouts with one tile rooms, I know we can use the O2 icons, but I think it would be best just to stick with 1x2, 2x1, & 2x2.
-You could randomize the number of drone and weapon "Slots" available 3 drones & 3 weapons, or 4 weapons & 2 drones (Unless, when this is expanded to all ships, you want the Engi's to exclusively have 3 drones still)
-You should add a lanius into the crew pool
-Also, haven't seen any potential layouts with a clonebay, maybe you can somehow randomize it to be 50/50 clonebay or medbay (or nothing at all :twisted: )
-For potential augment randomization, a small chance of an additional augment that isn't too overpowered such as a Reverse Ion Field, artificial respirators, shield recharger, etc...
  • I see potential to tie augments to many other things, for example a ship with hacking or lots of drones could have a defense scrambler, a ship with onboard drones could have a drone reactor booster, a ship manned by a lone crystal could have crystal vengeance (expand that to all ships manned entirely by other races), a ship with cloaking could have long range scanners or titanium system casing... You get the point.

I looked at some of the weapon stuff and saw things like droneList amount=7!!! Do you intend to allow up to 7 drones on the Randrel? :? While that would be awesome the UI messes up real bad if you have anything more than a combination of 6 drones & weapons.

Thanks for all your work on this and the flagship randomizer! I can see this tool going two ways, 1.) a crazy kestrel with hundreds of potential layouts OR 2.) a randomization of every ship at once where each ship has a lot of potential slight variations.

The kestrel is my favorite ship so making it really completely random so I can play it over and over again slightly differently would be great. But I would also like to see the other ships get some slight randomization. I'm not sure if you would have to have each ship pull from a random pool in that case, because they should still keep most of the things that made them unique orgininally... :? Like a mantis ship would have more mantises generally, and the stealth cruiser would have a higher chance of starting with cloaking... I know you wont be able o do all that by yourself, but if you lay the groundwork for that then eventually we could hav different pools for each ship made by other people.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
rannl

Postby rannl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Hey RR, thanks for the comments! I'm happy you like this mod :)

Is a 1x1 room problematic in some way ? I though it might be nice to have some variation, and I didn't wan't to change the internal images of the different rooms (keeping the same "feeling" to the Kestrel rooms). So using 1x1 rooms helped me make more layest that didn't have doors where room system imagery was present.

I'm not sure about randomizing the 4 weapons / 2 drones configuration. It's a defining feature for the kestrel, and didn't use a drone system with the system random asset pool. It might be a good idea when considering the engi cruiser, but somehow it didn't feel right to me doing it with the Kestrel.

Good point on the Lanius, it's a part of AE and is should be present in the random crew pool.

I actually added a system layout with a clonebay instead of the medbay. I can certanly add a few more. I'm not sure about having a system set without any way of healing the crew. The slug B has a healing bomb in order to compensate for the squishiness of the crew. Then again, this could be a challenging random ship to play..... I'll give it some thought.

Augments can appear in a random ship. Some weapon configurations get the auto loader, and the drone amount randomization gives an augment if the random ship starts without any drone parts.
I don't want to add too many possible augments to the Kestrel, so it won't become too OPed.

The amount attribute of the droneList tag determines the amount of starting drone parts to the best of my knowledge.... am I mistaken ? The number of weapons/drones slots is determined by the weaponSlots/droneSlots tags, right ?

As for the future of the Randtrel, that is entirely up to the comments I get here. I see no reason not to have both options - a fully randomized Kestrel and a partially randomized player fleet.
If you'd like to help create more randomly generated player ships, I'd be happy to provide a guide for adding more content to the Randtrel tool.

I'll keep up the good work, you keep up the good comments ;)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:07 pm

rannl wrote:Is a 1x1 room problematic in some way ?

The game only has no-oxygen overlays for 1x2 or 2x2 rooms. This mod can be used to fix that, but like Rockman I personally favor vanilla room size. Keeping it real and stuff.