[SHIP] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Captain Rhonos

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.0

Postby Captain Rhonos » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Captain Rhonos wrote:After that I'm going to post the prologue to the story.

Finished and posted the prologue.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2872
Zoltan: Would you like to participate in some tests?

Me: Uh? No thank you. I'll be leaving now.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:22 am

froz wrote:Ok, I finished. It was normal difficulty (my first win not on easy), but I have to say it was very easy. Maybe I was lucky, but maybe the singularity weapon is just to good for starting weapon :/. Adding teleport, crystal crew and I was unbeatable by anything...

I just ran a quick test on normal to see if the weapons aligned. Was using 4 Singularity Projectors, to check placement.

...You were just lucky, at least early game.

The S.Proj by itself isn't OP at all - the long charging time is brutal early on. And Zoltan shields are impervious, as you well know. Got completely lacerated by an auto-assault with an ion + beam combo and beam drone. Restarted - Zoltan ship and solar flares. At least the weapon alignments work now. :roll: I'm pretty much done trying to align the gibs at this point, though I'll fix if someone else wants to take a crack at it.

In other news, I tweaked the weapon sprite a little. Will probably remove the "glow" effect since it doesn't seem to be working as I'd like. Will poke more at the interior sprites and layout tomorrow I think. Will release an updated version sometime this week, but in the mean time anyone that wants to fix the weapon-mount issue on their own, the code is thus:

Code: Select all

<weaponMounts>
   <mount x="510" y="420" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="529" y="248" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="right"/>
   <mount x="598" y="156" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
   <mount x="520" y="53" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
</weaponMounts>

Replace the weaponMounts section in circle_cruiser_2.xml with the above values and you're set.

/facedesk... Image
buzzyrecky

Postby buzzyrecky » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:34 am

Kieve wrote:Figured out the issue with Weaponanza. For now, just make sure GMM is loading the Obsidian Cruiser after Weaponanza - if you let it run alphabetically, Weaponanza overwrites all the changes I made to animations.xml, autoBlueprints, and Blueprints.

In the mean time, now that I'm home, I can iron out some of these kinks - fixing weapon mount issues, improving the SP's sprite animations, and probably more interior stuff. In particular, I want to see if it's possible to set custom interiors on rooms without a designated system in them. Would be nice for added flavor ;)

Just thought I'd let you know that I figured out how to append the files (turns out you cant just rename the file extension on macs, but you have to edit it manually), so any complications should be fixed with my 1.1 update.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44 am

buzzyrecky wrote:Just thought I'd let you know that I figured out how to append the files (turns out you cant just rename the file extension on macs, but you have to edit it manually), so any complications should be fixed with my 1.1 update.

Ah, great news! Mod conflicts are a terrible thing, it's never fun having a "one or the other" choice, particularly when they're very different mods :D I'll keep an eye out for the 1.1 update and adjust my own OP accordingly when it's ready.
Disc10

Postby Disc10 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:46 am

This ship design looks fantastic! I'm avoiding full on mods until I beat the game at least once "properly", but I'll be sure to try this out as soon as that happens. :D
mattimao

Postby mattimao » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Just wanted to give you a big thank you for this ship.

Thank You! :D

Very well done, with lots to like.
The ship texture and color are great.
I really like the color of the shields! Nice touch.
The weapon is very fun and I do not really think it is that over powered. :twisted:

Please make another ship, as this one was a winner. ;)

Thanks again!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Disc10 wrote:This ship design looks fantastic! I'm avoiding full on mods until I beat the game at least once "properly", but I'll be sure to try this out as soon as that happens. :D

mattimao wrote:Just wanted to give you a big thank you for this ship.

Thank You! :D

Very well done, with lots to like.
The ship texture and color are great.
I really like the color of the shields! Nice touch.
The weapon is very fun and I do not really think it is that over powered. :twisted:

Please make another ship, as this one was a winner. ;)

Thanks again!

And thank you both for the kind words. I'm glad you like it!
Update R2 is on the way, probably when I get home from work tonight. Still have to test this with Weaponanza 1.1 to make sure the conflicts are gone, but hopefully things should be ironed out now.
Improvements in R2:
-Better Singularity Projector sprite, and bigger scarier Black Hole sprites (both generation and vortex)
-Improved room layout (no more mysterious "dead ends" for locked systems)
-Fixed weapon alignments on slots 3 & 4

After lots of testing, mostly in Normal, I've decided to keep the Burst Laser as part of the standard armaments until it gets replaced with an "obsidian" weapon of similar design & purpose. Forcing the player to rely solely on a weapon with a 20s cooldown and only one layer of shielding is difficult at best and sadistic at worst. So, another new weapon, huzzah.
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.1

Postby Kieve » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:02 am

Download updated to v1.1.
Also a little bit of backstory for those who like that sort of thing, and a plug for Cap'n Rhonos' tale as well.

Tested this out and it's working fine with Weaponanza now, so that "known issues" blurb is gone. Thanks for fixing that up, Buzzy!

...guess I need to get to work on that other Obsidian weapon now... :?

EDIT: Got gibs fixed! YAY! The next update will include proper ship destruction, if you're of a mind to go around destroying the fruit of my labors. :lol:
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 am

God I'm tired. Why do I stay up this late?

I've fixed the "white border" FTL-drive issue too. Turns out it was stupidly easy to do, not sure why it never occurred to me before (taking the line-art and blurring it slightly, under the original base.png, gives a slight dark shadow and culls the white off the edges when the image is shrunk).
Also as per above, the gibs align properly now too. And with some fiddling, tweaking, trial, and error (mostly error), the cloak-image is aligned now too!

Which brings my to-do list down to "new interiors", "replacement for Burst Laser", and ideally custom sounds for both.
Anyone have good suggestions on sound? Because I'm at a complete loss, unfortunately.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Glad you found a fix for that- the white border drove me a little nutty. :P

As to sounds, try googling public domain sound effects. You might find something good there.