[SHIP] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
SinragnokOfThirteen

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.0

Postby SinragnokOfThirteen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:35 am

Captain Rhonos wrote:
SinragnokOfThirteen wrote:You had my problem then, it's probably conflicting with another mod if you're using GMM. Which ones do you have installed?

I have Weaponanza and the Obsidian Cruiser.
Maybe the download hasn't been changed? I don't know.

By the way, I've finished a small prologue for the story. Again, it may take awhile for me to finish it.

Yea, it seems Weaponanza and Obsidian Cruiser has some conflicts. I haven't found out why yet as I don't know the parameters of modding for this but I'll keep searching. For now, it's probably best not to use Weaponzanza in conjunction with Obsidian Cruiser.

Edit: I just noticed something with the Obisidan Cruiser, the third and fourth weapons appear to be floating off the upper shard of the ship. I found it really funny so here's a picture. Sorry, I don't use photobucket or the such, but feel free to recommend me one so I don't scare anyone when uploading a picture.
Give me advice!

Mind if I board your ship? No? Alright, now everyone dies. -Madman
FML
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:59 am

Mmm... maybe you should echange the position of weapons control and the teleporter rooom, cloacking with shields, and put the sensors equipment in the room at the top-right. This way, with the default systems only, it won't look like there's any "dead end" of empty rooms, nor will there be any empty square room that's used just as a hallway (that goes for the empty cloacking room).

Otherwise, great textures!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Mmm... maybe you should echange the position of weapons control and the teleporter rooom, cloacking with shields, and put the sensors equipment in the room at the top-right. This way, with the default systems only, it won't look like there's any "dead end" of empty rooms, nor will there be any empty square room that's used just as a hallway (that goes for the empty cloacking room).

Otherwise, great textures!

I may rearrange some things, since I do agree about the empty space. The trick is, I wanted a layout that was not only functional but made sense within the confines of the ship itself. Will look into how I can shuffle some things around though.
As for the floating weapons in slots 3 & 4, I was a dummy and forgot to check those over during my testing. :roll: Sorry about that, will fix when I get home from work today. Also, if anyone knows how to fix the misaligned cloak overlay, please tell me. Been beating my head off the wall trying to sort that one out and nothing seems to do it.

On a lighter note, thoughts on the Singularity Projector? Too powerful, or balanced against its charge time? Does the "black hole" sprite need to be bigger? (I think it could be bigger 8-)) Any advice on where I can look for some decent soundFX for it? Suggestions on other weapons to compliment the cruiser's look?

Feedback is always welcome!
hobo0077

Postby hobo0077 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:08 pm

The ship is great and this mod is a must for anyone. love the special weapon by the way is there any chance of you making additional weapons or even drones. Good Job
Captain Rhonos

Postby Captain Rhonos » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:32 pm

SinragnokOfThirteen wrote:Yea, it seems Weaponanza and Obsidian Cruiser has some conflicts. I haven't found out why yet as I don't know the parameters of modding for this but I'll keep searching. For now, it's probably best not to use Weaponzanza in conjunction with Obsidian Cruiser.

Yup. Just took it out and now it works fine.

SinragnokOfThirteen wrote:I just noticed something with the Obisidan Cruiser, the third and fourth weapons appear to be floating off the upper shard of the ship.

Not doing that for me. Everything is fine.
Zoltan: Would you like to participate in some tests?

Me: Uh? No thank you. I'll be leaving now.
froz

Postby froz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:43 pm

I am in the middle of the game with this ship. It feels quite easy, but to be honest, I'm not sure what difficulty I chose at start...

Anyway, I like the ship. I have some comments if you care to read them.

1. Graphics.
I like it, the ship is very detailed and looks very nice. I haven't seen the crystal ship, but comparing to other ships that I saw, it doesn't look similar. I recall you wrote that you wanted to add a new ship that would be in the same style as the vanilla ships. Well, I'm sorry to say that, but for me it didn't work. However, I like your style more then vanilla :). It's more detailed and doesn't seem rushed like some of vanilla designs (though this may be just personal preference).

2. Balance.
Well, the ship is obviously OP, but I guess crystal ship is OP too. Not only it starts with a great weapon, very good crew, 4 weapon level, but later the teleporter room is for 4 crew. Nothing bad here.

3. The singularity projector
Hmm. I like it, it's very powerfull, but it needs 4 power bars and has quite long reload time. It is also very good in later sectors too, scaling very well with your ship. Another thing is that it doesn't consume missiles to shot, which is maybe too good. You don't have any weapon in-game that can bypass all shields and is not missile based. Overall I think it's ok, though it may need more testing. It's definitelly fun.

I have one idea for a weapon - obsidian shards launcher (yeah, needs a better name). Basically a missile launcher that launches 3 missiles, but each one deals only 1 damage. Energy requirement - 3 power bars, 1 missile used per shot and reload time a little longer then burst laser Mk 2.

Why this? Because it would mix well with the singularity projector. Thanks to 3 shots it would be more reliable (missing wouldn't be so painfull) and both weapons won't be blocked by shields, so you could just ignore them.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Well to address the comments in order...
1. I know the Obsidian doesn't fit in perfectly with stock graphics. Some of that is intentional, some of it's just a failure on my part to emulate FTL's aesthetic as well as I'd wanted to. Either way, I'm glad you like it. I just wish I knew how to get rid of that damned white border :cry:

2. I don't want it to feel OP, but it is intended to be pretty powerful, particularly in late game. The four-man teleporter might be overkill though - 4-man boarding party is pretty OP by itself if you have at least one Crystal in the group (Lockdown itself is devestating in a boarding group).

3. The lack of missile cost might feel overpowered and cheat-y but I'm not willing to change that bit - it's an energy weapon and consuming any kind of material explosive just doesn't make sense. Bypassing shields is a product of the Bomb type though, so I could probably change it to, say "Laser" and have it fire some kind of black-hole projectile, instead of "generating" one at the target.

I do want to create more weapons to compliment the Projector, so a shard-launcher (with missile cost) sounds reasonable enough. Definitely worth thinking about at any rate. :)
Thank you for the detailed feedback!

And to everyone, I'm glad you're enjoying the ship. I'm sure there'll be more to come in the future ;)
froz

Postby froz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Ok, I finished. It was normal difficulty (my first win not on easy), but I have to say it was very easy. Maybe I was lucky, but maybe the singularity weapon is just to good for starting weapon :/. Adding teleport, crystal crew and I was unbeatable by anything...
Captain Rhonos

Postby Captain Rhonos » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Time to play FTL with this. After that I'm going to post the prologue to the story. Great mod!
Zoltan: Would you like to participate in some tests?

Me: Uh? No thank you. I'll be leaving now.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Figured out the issue with Weaponanza. For now, just make sure GMM is loading the Obsidian Cruiser after Weaponanza - if you let it run alphabetically, Weaponanza overwrites all the changes I made to animations.xml, autoBlueprints, and Blueprints.

In the mean time, now that I'm home, I can iron out some of these kinks - fixing weapon mount issues, improving the SP's sprite animations, and probably more interior stuff. In particular, I want to see if it's possible to set custom interiors on rooms without a designated system in them. Would be nice for added flavor ;)