[SHIP] Obsidian Cruiser v1.3

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [MOD] Obsidian Cruiser v1.2

Postby Kieve » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm

daj327 wrote:I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but when I launch the mod with GMM, something weird happens. The actual main menu looks fine, but when I click new game, ever sprite is replaced by a caution sign. All the crew, weapons, and system bars. Same thing when I start the game.

That doesn't sound right at all. What other mods are you using? This doesn't mess with crew or UI at all, and the only weapons added have new sprites...
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:41 am

I'm sincerely hoping v1.3 should be the "final" version of this mod. It's perfectly functional now, of course, but 1.3 will round off the minor cosmetic issues:
-Custom Interior sprites (as I've been promising for the last week or so)
-Mini-ship image for score screen.

Once these are fixed, I'll probably upload a short gameplay / showcase video (one that doesn't involve my poor ship getting blown to scrap, sorry Zaffre!)

After a playthrough on Normal I've decided to keep the current room layout exactly as-is. Given how powerful the ship can be, I consider the tightly-packed rooms and weakness to beam weapons as a balancing factor. For all its firepower, a beam across the wrong systems can really screw up your day.
Roujin

Postby Roujin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello,
registered to say two things here:
Firstly, awesome mod, judging from the screens and video. I will definitely check it out once I have some time on my hands.

Secondly, I'm three days late for the discussion about sound effects, but maybe it will help you in the future (more weapon mods? 8-)):
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html
This tool was made for ludum dare, a game jam where game devs churn out games in 48 hours. Obviously they do not have much time to look for / record sound effects, so this is a quick-and-easy tool to generate all kinds of sound effects.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Roujin wrote:Hello,
registered to say two things here:
Firstly, awesome mod, judging from the screens and video. I will definitely check it out once I have some time on my hands.

Secondly, I'm three days late for the discussion about sound effects, but maybe it will help you in the future (more weapon mods? 8-)):
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html
This tool was made for ludum dare, a game jam where game devs churn out games in 48 hours. Obviously they do not have much time to look for / record sound effects, so this is a quick-and-easy tool to generate all kinds of sound effects.

That is an incredibly handy little tool. Might not do the job by itself, but layered into my other sound programs it could be just what I need! Thanks!
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:17 pm

To follow up on that, there's an even better version to called bfxr, which is also made in flash, at http://www.bfxr.net/
Same thing, with some extra options :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
Rivers

Postby Rivers » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Im curious, what program did you use to draw the ship and how did you make it look like the pixel art thats in the game...?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Darkfrost wrote:To follow up on that, there's an even better version to called bfxr, which is also made in flash, at http://www.bfxr.net/
Same thing, with some extra options :)

You realize you're practically begging me to make a weapons pack with this... :roll: Thanks! Will try it out when I get home from work.

Rivers wrote:Im curious, what program did you use to draw the ship and how did you make it look like the pixel art thats in the game...?

A combination of MSPaint for the base lineart and Photoshop for the 'everything else.' There was a great deal of marquee selection and bucket-fill, and all my selection tools were set to 0 tolerance to ensure flat colors. I think the last time I used MSPaint in any serious capacity was Win95... yikes. :?
Rivers

Postby Rivers » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 am

Kieve wrote:A combination of MSPaint for the base lineart and Photoshop for the 'everything else.' There was a great deal of marquee selection and bucket-fill, and all my selection tools were set to 0 tolerance to ensure flat colors. I think the last time I used MSPaint in any serious capacity was Win95... yikes. :?

That's good to know! Is there a way to have done the lineart in PS, and then make it pixellated and less smooth?

Also, what was the dimension of your ship when you drew it in PS? Was the same size as the pic you have of the ship in your OP or a little bigger/smaller?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:29 am

Rivers wrote:That's good to know! Is there a way to have done the lineart in PS, and then make it pixellated and less smooth?

Also, what was the dimension of your ship when you drew it in PS? Was the same size as the pic you have of the ship in your OP or a little bigger/smaller?

The pic is the actual resolution - the same ship_base that's used in the mod itself. And while I'm sure there's filters to pixelate lineart (or even some settings to keep solid-pixel lines without smoothing) I'm not actually sure what they are.
Zalkida

Postby Zalkida » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 am

Actually just joined the forum to tell you that this ship is great. A bit over powered, but really fun to play as. Great work!
Zalkida Mirnath - Fear the Assassian