[SHIP] The Kraken

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Lemmonade
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:45 am

[SHIP] The Kraken

Postby Lemmonade » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 am

So i decided to make a slug pirate cruiser. As it came along it started becoming shaped like a giant squid, figured it fit with the slugs deadly squishy sea creature mantra. This one has an anti bio beam that looks like its built into the front, which comes at the cost of other weapons sort of looking weird and off center when they are placed there, oh well. Also since it preys on crews passing through uncharted nebulas, I gave it a pretty interesting cloak with nightsky camouflage that I think looks pretty neat. Replaces Type B Slug Cruisers, The Type A alternative for this ship will be coming soon

    The Kraken
    Slug Stealth Corvette

Image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Few will ever see this vessel and live to tell the tale. The Kraken, as some call it, is said to reside in the depths of some uncharted nebula, preying on voyaging ships in some faraway land. This slug pirate vessel finds its home in these nebulas, lurking and stalking cruisers for their cargo. Once it can sense your presence nearby, it will appear out of the clouds and grip you, by this time it is already too late, or so you've been told. It is just one of many reasons to keep your wits about you when you venture through these oceans of clouds...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Image

Starting Equipment:
    Anti Bio Beam
    Heavy Pierce Cannon
    Reverse Ion Field
    FTL Jammer


Starting Systems:
    Pilot: II
    Sensors: I
    Doors: II
    Weapons: IIII
    Engines: III
    Shields: II
    Life Support: I
    Medbay: I
    Cloak: I
    Reactor: 9

Starting Crew
    2 Slug
    1 Engi

Download Link
Slug Stealth Cruiser "The Kraken"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image
ClockALock
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby ClockALock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:16 am

This ship was very nice, and I did especially like the cloak image. It provided one of the most interesting playthroughs I've ever done, in which after sector 4 I basically ran on a pair of swarm missile drones from CE. I did win, and your ships are as always very cool. I have no idea how you churn them out this, quickly though.
Lemmonade
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:45 am

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby Lemmonade » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:52 am

ClockALock wrote:This ship was very nice, and I did especially like the cloak image. It provided one of the most interesting playthroughs I've ever done, in which after sector 4 I basically ran on a pair of swarm missile drones from CE. I did win, and your ships are as always very cool. I have no idea how you churn them out this, quickly though.


I had no idea it was possible for me to make these mods this easily, I've been doodling space ships forever, since before I played ftl. Had a lot of ideas floating around, once I found this forum and super luminal it was game over.

Thanks for the feedback glad you enjoy
Image
MrHoody
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby MrHoody » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Awesome ship, great job! Although may I make a suggestion to switch out the reverse ion field for the slug repair gel? Would be nice since it it looks and plays like a slug ship!
User avatar
R4V3-0N
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Last Federation Fleet
Contact:

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:48 am

Lemmonade wrote:
ClockALock wrote:This ship was very nice, and I did especially like the cloak image. It provided one of the most interesting playthroughs I've ever done, in which after sector 4 I basically ran on a pair of swarm missile drones from CE. I did win, and your ships are as always very cool. I have no idea how you churn them out this, quickly though.


I had no idea it was possible for me to make these mods this easily, I've been doodling space ships forever, since before I played ftl. Had a lot of ideas floating around, once I found this forum and super luminal it was game over.

Thanks for the feedback glad you enjoy


it gets harder when you start to want new drones and weapons and such, then it is 10+ testing (at times) to see if said stuff work and is it fixed yet. There are some great ship mods I just gave up due to constant issues with weapons. But that's just me.

Edit: also yet again, great ship, can't wait to see you dabble in the arts of weapons and drones, (drones are easier), really want to see what new things you can make. New ships are fun, but near the end it all plays into the same ship unless some new weapons are in.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 am

Another great ship lemonade. Sea-monster shaped spaceships are a pretty cool concept.


Some thoughts on hull design (it's great already, so this is mostly just about my personal taste):

IMO, this ship, as well as the Administrator, could do with some more contrast. The Administrator has this great light dots on the dar parts of the hull, but apart from this the rest of the ship is just yellow tinted, even the darker parts. If you recolour hulls you can use colour select to recoulour specific parts, for example just the grey or blue hull panels of the Engi/Slug parts. This way you could leave the blackish parts and outlines intact and provide some contrasting colours in the ship.

Top part of the Kraken gives the splicing away, mostly because the top head structure is tinted slightly lighter then the lower body. You can get around this with deciding a main colour and colour fill the rest of the hull with it. To some extend this also works with gradients. Player and Enemy ships generally seem tinted slightly different, so usually that something to watch out for.

Again, this are just minor ideas in case you want some feedback on details. Keep up the great work!
UltraMantis
Posts: 2141
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Another top-notch job. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
CorrosionX
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby CorrosionX » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm new to modding ftl, were exactly am I meant to put the ships files?
User avatar
R4V3-0N
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Last Federation Fleet
Contact:

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:25 am

put it in the 'mods' folder in the superluminal mod managers folder and then patch it in game with it.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
CorrosionX
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: [SHIP] The Kraken

Postby CorrosionX » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:41 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:put it in the 'mods' folder in the superluminal mod managers folder and then patch it in game with it.

I put the files in but when I run modman they don't appear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests