[Ship] Paragon Cruiser

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

[Ship] Paragon Cruiser

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 am

Paragon Cruiser - Smaragdos
» Story

The Zoltan and the Rocks have a long history with the Federation - the Zoltan as one of the first species to join it, and the Rocks as one of the species formerly opposing it. Despite any lingering animosities the two races are now allies, and enjoy civil, if cool, diplomatic relations.

However, the Rebel threat has forced the Federation members to work closer than ever before. As such, the Zoltan and Rock militaries have agreed to undertake a joint project to develop a powerful cruiser that would serve as an exemplar of everything the Federation stands for - unity, and the strength it provides.

The fruit of this cooperation is the Smaragdos.

» Description

Starting with two Zoltans, two Rockmen, and a 4-man teleporter, the ship instantly forces the player to use boarding gameplay. Sounds boring and overplayed, but there are several twists to it.

First of all, the ship starts with a slight shortage of reactor power supply - as such, you will have to shuffle your Zoltans around if you want to keep relevant systems powered.
Another thing is that the ship starts without door control and medbay - you are very vulnerable to boarding and fires, especially with your Rocks being busy over at the other ship.

For whatever reason, you will find that the Teleporter room is being targeted more often than it should -- it almost seems like the enemies know how to shut you down... Or just the RNG is stacked against you ;)

» Loadout

Non-standard armaments:
  • Zoltan Self-Powered Laser - A prototype weapon created by the Zoltans, this laser does not require an external power source.
    Deals 1 hull damage, but no system or personnel damage. 20 seconds charge time. Requires no power.

• Mending Cluster-Bomb - An advanced bomb launcher capable of teleporting three healing devices at once, thus achieving an overall better accuracy. Due to safety precautions, fires only 1 bomb on your ship.
    3 bombs, each healing 30hp. 10% fire chance. 16 seconds cooldown.

• Rupture Bomb - A fast-recharging, slow-detonating, frighteningly powerful, and missile-hungry bomb.
    Deals 2 hull damage and additional 4 personnel damage, totaling to 80 crew damage - capable of killing a Zoltan in a single blast.
    30% breach chance, 9 seconds cooldown, 3 seconds fuse time. Uses THREE missiles per shot.

• Reinforced System Casing - Prevents hit systems from taking damage (hull damage will still be inflicted).
    30% chance.

» Download

Paragon Cruiser.ftl - replaces Federation A

Thanks go to SleeperService for suggestions for this ship, and also for his amazing FTL Captains Edition, from which I have shamelessly copied the bomb fuse idea, and cluster bomb idea and graphics :oops:
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Re: [Ship] Paragon Cruiser

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 am

It looks good!

But it seems to much green sadly, would it be possible to have some of those light circle things zoltans have on the this ship?

Also the rooms seem odd to me but that may be just me.

I like it and the short story, I actually thought that the Rock have a closer relationship to the Federation before the Rebels, I mean you do see about 3-4 separate rocks in the hanger image walking carrying cargo and supplies (It is not the same guy because sometimes they appear in the same time/ to close at a time, but that is only if you are like me and stare at it like watching paint dry xD)

I doubt the federation would keep a rock slave to carry there explosives and weapons. :lol: :roll:
And who cares if you copied a weapon (at least with permission) from CE?
I picture this as a mod ship for a mod :)
People before copied enemy ships, eg the Rebel Destroyer and Cruiser.

Edit: Played the ship for a bit, it's pretty nice. Good job
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:56 am

Heh, I don't really like the solid green color either -- frankly, it would make more sense for it to be slightly glimmery, like the crystal ships (especially since smaragdos is latin for emerald) -- but it's primarily a Rock-Zoltan warship, so I wanted to have that roughness present in its graphical design.
And those Zoltan circles look too fancy and flimsy IMO, I didn't like how they looked on the ship :lol:

Room layout is the cross product of hull image I came up with giving me a somewhat limited space to work with, and the intention of not having all of the mannable systems clumped together, so that Zoltan shuffling isn't too easy.
I also liked the idea of people moving through the shield room to reach the front of the ship, for some reason *shrug*

Regarding the story, I came up with it completely on the fly, actually. I had the general idea behind the ship down, but the background story itself was pretty much winged :P
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Yea most people wing stories.

A lot of the time adopted from the Engi's Stealth Cruiser

"Mantis + Engi = Stealth"

My 'story' for my ship is pretty generic that gives the basic info and roll of the ship and also threw in some Battle Tech spice into it. I missed the days back when Microsoft didn't go bankrupt and fled to console games =c

Starlancer and MechWarrior were good games...

Any who, circle is out of the idea, I think you can give it crystal plates on some parts to give it contrast and make that foggy but shiney? maybe a different colour like the zoltan yellow?

And the reason I don't like the rooms is they are not symmetrical I think, I do not have issues with that on most ships, eg ones with offset items like the Rebel Rigger or Engi ships. But don't change that only because I said so.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 am

I really enjoyed Kieve's story. Which lead me to begin writing my own story.

Since I hated/loved (mostly hated) Star Trek, you can guess the tone of my story.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Any chance for AE update? :)
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm currently busy with updating the ship editor to AE -- however, I'll be updating both of my ships after that's done :)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed May 14, 2014 11:17 pm

updating SL would be a better thing then updating this ship I think.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu May 15, 2014 12:08 am

As it happens, the decision is completely mine to make, I may update this ship first if the mood strikes me... ;)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 am

Something tells me that you will use your beta SL2 to update this ship for a test run. :P
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.