[MOD]The None-Man Army (Sentient EngiB Mod)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

[MOD]The None-Man Army (Sentient EngiB Mod)

Postby slowriderxcorps » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:26 pm

In the various flaunts I've had in the creation of my personal combination of mods, I thought of what would happen if you were to make a player ship start with no crew. As it turns out, it makes things... very peculiar. Namely, it turns the ship into an Auto-Drone.

In Drone Mode, you cannot Game Over from losing all your crew, even if you then proceed to gain crew. All of your systems will have the default 'manned bonus' so long as the room is intact. All subsystems will self-repair at 25% of the base speed as long as there is no hull breach in that room. You can make FTL jumps even if there is nobody at the helm. It does, however, have a glitch where you cannot purchase crew members from slavers or stores, but you can still earn crew members from events that just give them to you outright.

And so, this little modification was made, that takes the insufferable Vortex and, while it doesn't fix the ship by any means, it makes it a very unique experience to play, a sentient ship. The starting event in Sector 1 has a Blue event triggered by its Drone Reactor Booster that will enable you to start with the initial Engi and play the game as normal, with the aforementioned points enabled.

Or alternatively, you can challenge yourself even further and play the game with no crew whatsoever the entire distance. It's a lot harder than you might think. Image

Download the None-Man Army mod from Mediafire
Download the None-Man Army mod from Dropbox

As of right now, my next work is likely to be the release of a balance and aesthetics mod that is most certainly inspired by the infamous Twinge Balance Mod. I've ensured that the only assets that it uses are from allowed places, namely graphics from liakad's diversityMod, ideas from the previously mentioned Balance Mod, as well as mods and little tweaks that I have made in the past, including the Vindicator Animated Artillery Beam Mod, and this mod right here. I think I should be able to release such a mod without getting into any trouble. Watch this space.
ImageImage
Alvarin

Re: [MOD]The None-Man Army (Sentient EngiB Mod)

Postby Alvarin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Will check it out!
The idea was used in the awesome conversion mod "Descent into darkness" and I remember seeing it in some more mods too.

Playing crew-less is fun against boarding Mantis' ships, with L3 doors and no O2 :)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:24 pm

Yeah the idea isn't new but it has produced interesting mods. The Amber Shard and Robotic Cruiser for example. I think there was an unmanned Vortex as well but i can't be arsed to look. ;)

As for sharing bits of other people's mods, it's polite to ask for permission. Usually authors don't mind sharing but some are less into open source and more into mine all mine... Personally, i dont get the point of sharing a mod but not with other modders.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:35 am

I just completed a LP of your ship. Had a good time!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... uVbC8pRq2H
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:03 pm

5thHorseman wrote:I just completed a LP of your ship. Had a good time!

Oh wow, that's pretty amazing, actually!

From seeing this, I realised that I accidentally left the name of the ship as what I have it as when playing with my personal mod compilation (to automatically distinguish that as a mod run on the score tables), so I should fix that. Secondly, you mention that when you take the blue option that it gives you the Engi and you play it as normal, which isn't exactly true. You're still playing with the drone rules, but with the sole Engi to gain skill levels with and such. You can even just sit him in Weapons the whole game and never even man the helm if you were so inclined!
ImageImage
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:I just completed a LP of your ship. Had a good time!

Oh wow, that's pretty amazing, actually!

From seeing this, I realised that I accidentally left the name of the ship as what I have it as when playing with my personal mod compilation (to automatically distinguish that as a mod run on the score tables), so I should fix that. Secondly, you mention that when you take the blue option that it gives you the Engi and you play it as normal, which isn't exactly true. You're still playing with the drone rules, but with the sole Engi to gain skill levels with and such. You can even just sit him in Weapons the whole game and never even man the helm if you were so inclined!

Actually I like the name, I say keep it :) It's pretty common I've found for ships to have 2 names. The Klingon one I'm posting now, for example, isn't named "Klingon Bird Of Prey" in the hangar. It's got a Klingon name and it adds some flavor to the experience.

Yeah, adding the Engi doesn't remove the auto-ship stuff, but that just means it makes the ship EASIER than the Vortex. Which, when it all comes down to it may not be a bad thing; the Vortex can be a real pain to play :) But I was looking for the best challenge I could find and I've already beaten the game with the Vortex so beating it with a ship that is exactly the same except unmanned stations work better doesn't pique my interest :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."