[MOD] Rock Sunstrike version 1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
madhatter

[MOD] Rock Sunstrike version 1.0

Postby madhatter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 pm

The Sunstrike is a prototype rock cruiser and replaces the Bulwark.

The full layout looks like this (Note: Door system, cloaking and the teleporter have to be bought first):

right-click and "save-as" to download the .ftl file
Enjoy!

Don't play with another ship while you have this mod installed (it changes the maximum weapon system power to 4 and replaces the "weapon box" image for a 4 weapon slot ship, with the image for a single weapon slot).

This is my first mod, so constructive criticism is more then welcome.

A big thanks to Kieve, DryEagle, Alextfish. JLPH , VanguardofValor and many others for providing all the resources and inspiration you need to start making your own ships :)
Last edited by madhatter on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xGessx

Re: [MOD] Rock Sunstrike version 1.0

Postby xGessx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 pm

The ship looks pretty nice actually, I like it. Although the weapon looks very OP, but I will find out soon enough. Downloading.
slye20

Postby slye20 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:11 am

Just from what I'm seeing of the screenshots, this is a very nice looking ship :3
I'll try it out in-game and see how that plays out.
In reguards to the artwork; well done, and it fits in nicely to FTL's original style

I look forward to seeing any of your future mods :P
madhatter

Postby madhatter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Thank you for the comments.
The weapon is indeed very powerful, but it has an 18 second charge time, uses a missile each time you fire, occupies your only weapon slot and it is a weapon that does no hull damage. The idea is to make it a bit more of a tactical challenge (when do fire and what do I fire at).

As far as the artwork, the ship is made from bits from all different rock ships and the engines of the red-tail ;)

I'm not sure what my next mod is going to be, but I'll surely post it when it is playable :D
ImageImage
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 am

I am having doubts about the weaponry - it appears that this ship is unable to deal with automated enemies and having only 1 weapon slot you can't alternate with some other weapon you find/buy. You will have to rely on attacking drones only, having to rely exclusively on two expencive and scarce consumables (missiles and drones)...
The ship itself looks AWESOME!
slye20

Postby slye20 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:19 am

After playing with it in-game for a bit, I'd say it is indeed rather good.
As someone who's only been playing with the Infinite Space mod, however, I do see how playing with it in the vanilla gameworld would be an issue. I think maybe adding two more weapon slots (which could go on the outer bits of the two main bits, or whatever as a suggestion) would be a welcome improvement.
Maybe make an alternate version that only allows for the single weapon slot though?

Either way, well done.

EDIT: Oh, and in reguards to the artwork again; you did a fantastic job at making it not look Frankenstein'd together despite the fact that you used other ship bits. Keep up the good work ^-^
madhatter

Postby madhatter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Alvarin wrote:I am having doubts about the weaponry - it appears that this ship is unable to deal with automated enemies

Yeah, the Sunstrike is not too dissimilar from the Basilisk in that regard, so the best advice I can give you for an encounter with an automated ship is: "Run as fast as you can!"

Alvarin wrote:You will have to rely on attacking drones only, having to rely exclusively on two expencive and scarce consumables (missiles and drones)...

As wierd as this sounds, this was actually intended.
With the single weapon slot and the OP weapon you lose out on two game-play elements:
1) "Moar loot!", or in FTL terms: more and better coordinated weaponry
2) "XP and levelling", in this case: earning scrap and spending it to upgrade your reactor and weapon control.

So there is a definate downside to this setup, but in my opinion the advantage is that it enables a different kind of game, with a greater emphasis on resource conservation ("Do I need to fire a second shot, or will the drone be enough?") and tactical planning (less "how do I get to as many beacons as possible in this sector" and more "Can I afford that extra beacon, or do I need to go to the store immedeately? ").

Anyway, it's another challenge and while I like it, it probably is not everyone's cup of tea.

slye20 wrote:I think maybe adding two more weapon slots (which could go on the outer bits of the two main bits, or whatever as a suggestion) would be a welcome improvement.
Maybe make an alternate version that only allows for the single weapon slot though?

Thanks for the suggestion, I just made a version with 2 additional weapon slots (on the tip of both nacelles) and a new weapon in both of them: the Burner Beam (a 2 power mini beam with a slightly lower cooldown and a 100% fire chance).
The new version can be found here.
This version feels overpowered to me, mostly because I don't think the Solar Barrage Array is anywhere near balanced for a a ship with multiple weapons, but feel free to tweak it as you see fit :)
ImageImage
slye20

Postby slye20 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:11 pm

What I meant by the additional slots was just adding the slots with no weapons, so that way you can attache weapons you find in order to deal with drones and such.
Adding more firepower to it would seem to just make it a bit too powerful ^-^...

Get it? Firepower. Cuz... fire ship.. and.... yeah.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 am

This looks magnificent. I'll love trying it. Thanks for your contribution!
Rworqx

Postby Rworqx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:13 pm

best ship creation evar. can anyone tell where you can make your own flying pile of scrap?
please?