FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.096b

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Oohhhh... so chaff is an actual English word... yeah, that makes sense now. Me like.

Also, Sleepy, I was suggesting this in the sMPK thread, but let's hear your opinion: what would you think about reducing the Fire and Breach missile launchers' damage to 3? They would gain in two ways: They would have a shorter cooldown, and their signature characteristic would not get eclipsed by their damage (this goes specially for the Fire missile, which will have more opportunities to inflict 4 hull damage anyway with fire). Consider also reducing the burst cloak-missile launcher to 3 missiles per shot so it's in the same league as the other two, and the single-shot cloak-missile launcher to 2 damage (with a lower cooldown like everything else) so the cloak-mine has an edge in raw hull damage.

This will also have the secondary effect of reducing the amount of missiles with 4 hull damage to the normal one (should have about same cooldown as the special 3-damage collection), the Poseidon, the 4-shot one and the Titan, each one having their own advantages and disadvantages.. You'll have more freedom to play with cooldown times among only those 4.

Part of CEs philosophy is not to fiddle with vanilla stuff unless really necessary. A lot of CEs stuff is adjusted towards certain vanilla stuff being there (reload times of defence drones for example). If you want a rebalance of vanilla gear, than the rebalance mods are probably the right address for you. I'm currently considering doing Mark one versions of the breach and fire missiles, but CE got kind of swamped with missile launchers so I don't know if that’s really necessary.

IMO the amount of four damage missiles is cool. Long cooldowns paired with high damage is what characterizes the high tier missiles. Looking at vanilla, I think that is what they are supposed to be. Big, slow, scary missiles that make holes in your ship.

The Ifrit is kind of designed to be the pinnacle of missile tech, featuring reliable, hard to stop flat damage with a decent cooldown compared to other high tier launchers. The Oni already does two damage, leaving the Baal cloak mine launcher with a slight edge (three damage).

Related: I did work on some more defence drones lately. The Heavy MK I will provide a fairly low tier way to deal with swarms. Feels like most players fear these missiles more then they deserve, but never the less, another drone that can handle them might come in handy.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 pm

You have more 4-damage than 3-damage missiles though. But I guess you're right, I forgot that in default CE swarm missiles have full shield piercing ability, so the projectyles themselves are no different from cloaked missiles and mines.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:You have more 4-damage than 3-damage missiles though.

Yep, just like in vanilla: There are two missiles, Breach and Pegasus, that deal four damage, with the Hull missile kind of in between. All other damage tiers have just one missile. ;) Apart from that the enemies have access to similar amounts of missile weapons of each damage tier like they would had with their vanilla list. Enemies that would have access to, lets say a breach missile, get access to new four damage missiles as well. But not all of them. Some factions get the high tier swarms, some the raw damage ones and so on...
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 pm

From 1.095d, but just in case ....

"The Rock don't really patrol their boarders*, but passage through ... their territory is forbidden for** all "foreigners".*** - 1) borders; 2) to; 3) period inside quote, but why are there quotes in the first place? I don't think they're needed.

"You encounter a small craft with minimal propulsion. Its Rock crew member explains that the Rock home-world* is run on lies...." - homeworld (or should that be "homewords are"?).

"The Slugs here use a tactic you hoped you'd never see;* they sabotage your oxygen ... and then charge fire-weapons**." - 1) colon instead of semicolon; 2) fire weapons.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Just wanted to let you know that two of these are vanilla texts. ;) Happened before a few times already. Can correct that anyway of course.
abyssion425

Postby abyssion425 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:19 am

It's been awhile since i last saw engi stations, wonder what happen to them?
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am

abyssion425 wrote:It's been awhile since i last saw engi stations, wonder what happen to them?

They're in Engi space, and are usually either captured by Mantises, infected, or conducting war simulations.

Here's a thing to do when you have the time,. sleepy: try and adjunt the appropiate neutral ship (which will most of the time be a station) to each store event. Just for added flavor, and to emphasize thigns like it being a slug dealer in a non-slug sector, etc.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:49 am

Another piece from the lovely bug jar:

1. Ion Defense Drone *can* shot all types of missiles. And does it GODDAMNIT well. In fact, he is now most effective drone in Galaxy, he is able to shot down any random number of rockets one after another. Due to having slow projectile, he shot very early (to intercept target properly), so have long time for another shot - as a result, he is much less prone to get confused by many missiles. In fact, only shotting 2 rockets at the very same time guarantees that one will pass.

*Tested only on Ion defense drones used by enemies

2. After you encounter a small shuttle heading toward you, and decide to *not* shot it down, you may detec "multi life signs" and get boarded by rebels. Killing them doesn't give any benefits (one would suspect that commando designed to board our ship would have some valuable equipment - if not scrap, maybe handguns trade cargo?)

3. If you accept surrender of smugglers in nebula (the ones that try to hide from you), you can't break truce and attack them again.

Cheers,
/Estel
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 am

Seems like you want to buff only the enemy version (or outright create one to do so) of the minesweeper then, as the player version is indeeed only effective against mines, and I've had some close calls on the double mine with it. It would only hit one out of six ordinary missiles, but all mines.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 am

Wow, yeah this might be related to projectiles being spawned further away from the ship on the enemy window than on the player screen. I'll look into that.