FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Captain Trek

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.281b/Inf 1.28/EL 1.28

Postby Captain Trek » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:39 pm

Welp, it's taking me way too long to get around to "completing" (that is, starting with a fresh save file with nothing but the Kestral A unlocked and going on to complete the game with all the ships on Normal. Note that there are a few RNG-based achievements such as Tactical Approach I'm not going to bother trying for) Captain's Edition, but I just got done with the Engi B. I'm actually really surprised that it only took two tries, but I'll freely admit I got kinda lucky scoring a free mantis crewmember fairly early on, meaning I ultimately wound up buying only one (human, from a store) crewmember the entire run.

What I was doing wrong when I played CE in the past definitely was trying to rely at all on the AI generator augment, which is kind of sad because it's supposed to provide the ship with something unique and interesting but in practice is just too risky to be worth using. Also just didn't have particularly good luck in general on those past attempts. This time I managed to find an anti-bio beam that let me decrew a bunch of ships in the mid sectors for extra crewmen and better rewards. Shockingly few weapons, though, with just a Burst Scatter I and a Burst II actually proving useful along with a handful of not-useful pickups, none of which I think were actually from decrewing ships.

Still, at the end of the game I had Burst Scatter I, Burst II, the starting Old Lasers, a Missile II drone, and an Ion I drone, and that was more than enough to smack down the flagship.

Incidentally, I'm getting graphical glitches as well, with certain textures and characters of text disappearing, but I've been ignoring it since it doesn't really effect gameplay all that much.
Epsilon Carinae

Postby Epsilon Carinae » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Bug: On the map, there can be beacons that say they have stores. When you jump to these beacons, you find out it is a trap.
But it brings you to the store first, rather than the battle.
I am an innocent ant in an unforgiving world.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 pm

That's how FTL works. If there's a Store, it'll be a Store, even if it turns out to be a trap.

Actually none of them seem to be traps but more like opportunities. Pirates decide they don't like your guts or some goons board you despite the Level 3 Doors, etc. Nothing really that shouts "trap" like Malcolm Reynolds and Inara not fighting.
alexplekhanov

Postby alexplekhanov » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Hello, in 1.281b i have got a bug, i can't aim any beam weapons, instead of red line ( when aiming) i 've got some kind of red dote, weapon shoots only in that sector of enemy's ship , when the dote is.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 pm

CE introduces 'focus beams' that can only hit a single room, so that behaviour is intended.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:'focus beams' that can only hit a single room

if you try hard enough and aim the beam between two rooms you can hit both of them. though, this is obviously unintended and falls down to the nature of rooms themselves
I'm guessing since they both share that side the beam hits both of them.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:00 pm

You are right, that was just discovered relative recently. Please stop telling everyone. :D

I'll just say that this is considered cheating and leave it at that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Noimnotagorilla

Postby Noimnotagorilla » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:54 am

For some reason after patching the mod in, in the correct order and everything, the game closes as soon as it finishes loading. I've gone through the troubleshooting, and reinstalled the mod patcher and game multiple times, and the patcher worked with other mods, but for some reason Captain's Edition won't work. Any suggestions?
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:02 am

Okay, so slow Trekkers finally re-beat CE with all the ships, including the updated version of the Stealth B. I still despise the Zoltan C...

Now, with the Stealth B, it actually took me several tries to beat the game with the new Maul-armed version, mostly due to some instances of appallingly bad luck, but overall I definitely approve of this configuration compared to the previous one. Unlike the Naginata version, it actually feels like the "glass cannon" it is described as now, with the high single-room damage making it quite possible to get through sectors 1 and 2 while barely taking any damage if you're lucky, but also making strategic target selection important throughout the game (provided you stick with the Maul. I actually swapped mine out for an Adapative Focus III I happened to find, which is a frankly epic weapon and possible even too good). It can be very annoying to have a ship start to run away after you hit them and jump out before your Maul can recharge, but I suppose everything has to have its pitfalls, especially a weapon as powerful as the Maul. Is it more "boring" than the previous loadout for the Stealth B? Maybe... I think that's a matter for personal opinion... but I do think it plays better and makes a helluva lot more sense this way. Still one of the hardest ships to fly, though, as is proper.

Overall, I believe CE has indeed improved for the changes 1.281 has made. I do think the AI Generator on the Engi B should be 100% reliable, but besides that I can't think of any more overt changes I'd still want the mod to make, since the Zoltan C being a damnably annoying micro-management black hole and the Rock A being a gigantic orange turd from start to finish are holdovers from the vanilla game design you can't really do much about. I would have suggested reducing the weapon load time on the Zoltan C to synergise better with the beam drone and battery, but I don't know how viable that would be since I know you want the various ships to have as diverse an array of weapons as possible.

I'll post up my file's metrics at some point...
Turbo_Scrooge

Postby Turbo_Scrooge » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 am

Can I use some of the enemy ship pictures for a mod? I will give credit.
I goof off on superluminal. If I make something cool, the I post it.