FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.268/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby NarnKar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 am

Actually @Russian, I never saw any good use for Auto-Lasers (except the Light Auto Laser, which is my jam). I think three power for a weapon with low damage capability kind of sucks to be honest; it takes up a weapon slot and doesn't fire at the same rate the Vulcan does, and you could get the same effect with more flexibility from a Charge Laser set to autofire.
TheForerunner

Postby TheForerunner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:15 am

Alright, so I've been using this mod for quite some time, and before, all of the modded ships worked fine. But after i fixed it up when it started crashing at the loading screen, the modded ships stopped working. Thing is, when i uninstalled Captain's edition, the modded ship works fine.

Any idea on what's happening? :?:
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:39 am

NarnKar wrote:Actually @Russian, I never saw any good use for Auto-Lasers (except the Light Auto Laser, which is my jam). I think three power for a weapon with low damage capability kind of sucks to be honest; it takes up a weapon slot and doesn't fire at the same rate the Vulcan does, and you could get the same effect with more flexibility from a Charge Laser set to autofire.

Well I was using a Randtrel ship with ultimate shield destroying potential so when I got the Auto Laser II it was devastating. Once I got through the shields one time I set the thing to autofire on the shields and obviously the enemy could never recover. That is I guess the point of auto-lasers, use them in conjunction with other weapons and they can be devastating, but on their own they are useless. Sleeper has described them as "support" weapons.

But you have a good point they are not very good compared to other weapons. That is another reason why I am suggesting maybe they should be changed up a bit post-AE. Now that the Vulcan has been added they don't really have their own niche like they had pre-AE, they are no longer the fastest firing weapons. And like you mentioned also, the Charge Laser on auto fire is just flat out better than the Auto-Laser I in every respect for the same power cost since it has more flexibility. It also doesn't really make sense to me why an Auto II can fire so fast without need to spin up like the Vulcan (post-AE).

I think that making them slightly faster firing (by .5 seconds maybe?) or decreasing their power cost while taking away their system damaging capabilities would make them more unique. Since they couldn't do system damage there would really be no reason to aim them at all, so you could just set them on autofire and let them pelt the enemy's shields very much like combat drones do, making them more useful in multiple situations than they are now. And they would no longer have the ability to completely cripple the enemy's ship once the shields go down for a few seconds, the enemy's would have time to recover. This would in turn make the Vulcan more unique since it would be able to damage systems.

To sum up my point, if they are meant to be "suppression" weapons they should be only that "suppression" weapons. They should not be able to do anything else but suppress the enemy's shields. They should not be able to wreck a ship by actually destroying it's systems.

But whatever Sleeper wants to do, I am just making a proposal. ;) If he disagrees I'll never mention it again. He should have a look at some of those things I noticed though, I don't think some of those things are intentional or were overlooked. :?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:50 am

Just a quick headsu: I don't have full internet access right now and I probably won't be fully online till the end of January.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:16 pm

It appears that some people released their own russian version of CE without giving credit to the original mod. Thats kind of low considering how much work went into CE and how many people contributed to it. Then again I don't speak Russian and this might all be good, but CE is nowhere mentioned in the description or video title, so I have to assume someone slapped a new loading screen on our work and called it his own. Lame. :cry:

CE Resource Pack 1.269
- Crew sprites now longer have selection discs by default
- Vintage Slug slug croussant offset fixed

CE Update 1.269
- Light Chain Vulcan buffed
- Baton beam is cheaper now
- Hull Missile II has a stun effect now
- Slug Pleasure cruiser offset fixed
- Pirate Rebel Pusher layout fixed
- Some typos fixed
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:57 pm

I swear I had nothing to do with that Russian ripoff... :| :roll:

Thanks for the update Sleeper, and Merry Christmas everybody! :mrgreen:

Here are a just few more things for you to consider/have a look at for the next update:
  • Now that the Artillery crash has been fixed you should change the tooltip/description for it saying that you can install the Artillery crash fix or something...
  • The Stealth Cruiser Type B still has Advanced Proximity Navigation.
  • The Burst Laser II and III have the same cost
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:54 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Since when and how has the artillery crash been fixed?

Well I don't mean "fixed", but I am talking about the workaround. There is no longer true that you "have" to finish the run in one go, but if you do save + quit you need to install the workaround in order to load up your save. So you should change the tooltip to reflect that and let people know that there IS a workaround now.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:33 am

It would indeed be smart to change the artillery disclaimer to, say, "If you save and quit, you'll need to load the mod at goo.gl/BE02it in order to reload that save (you can disable it before a new game)".
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:20 am

How are the Planetary Defense Systems coded? I want to know because I made a change to the wiki's Hazards page, under PDS.

CE Wiki wrote:Note that Anti-Ship Batteries and Planetary Defence Systems are different hazards. The ASB is a genuine, hardcoded hazard already existing in-game; the PDS, however, is simulated through invisible dummy weapons attached to the spotter ship.

Also, upon cursory investigation, it seems that the wiki's vandal was the same guy who posted his "cute story" to the CE Sector Types article. I guess he got mad his story was removed, and lashed out at anything Russian Rockman related, seeing as how he targeted the weapons articles.

(Poor vandal, really. I wrote the Player Artillery article, not Rockman.)