FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
el Rago

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.266/Inf 1.264/EL 1.266

Postby el Rago » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks Sleeper.

as for the names, I will pinch in with a name, the Morgan Laser. Military laser version but with extra coils and heatsinks.

extra points if someone can identify where I got this from :)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:12 pm

EDIT: Also, I said I would be messing around with some of the new customization options for the crew. The humans are of course the hardest to get right because we know what humans are supposed to look like, unlike aliens. You opened up the possibilities a little bit more by making humans humanoids, so they are more like aliens, but still... a few layers look weird when paired with each other. For example, pink blue or grey people with normal hair colors, or even black people with blonde hair (That last one being the fault of the way the sprites are drawn, its hard tell the difference between their hair and their head with those colors). Would it be possible to add a separate layer for the alien humanoids that overrides the previous layer's both skin and hair to prevent weird combinations?

Wouldn't weird combinations of skin and hair colour be par the course for aliens?

Actually, don't some people do this in real life? They paint themselves and dye their hair in odd combinations of colour?
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:45 pm

stylesrj wrote:
EDIT: Also, I said I would be messing around with some of the new customization options for the crew. The humans are of course the hardest to get right because we know what humans are supposed to look like, unlike aliens. You opened up the possibilities a little bit more by making humans humanoids, so they are more like aliens, but still... a few layers look weird when paired with each other. For example, pink blue or grey people with normal hair colors, or even black people with blonde hair (That last one being the fault of the way the sprites are drawn, its hard tell the difference between their hair and their head with those colors). Would it be possible to add a separate layer for the alien humanoids that overrides the previous layer's both skin and hair to prevent weird combinations?

Wouldn't weird combinations of skin and hair colour be par the course for aliens?

Actually, don't some people do this in real life? They paint themselves and dye their hair in odd combinations of colour?

Yes, but some combinations still look weird. Like I was saying, pink aliens with brown hair or blonde hair, it just doesn't look quite right.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes, but some combinations still look weird. Like I was saying, pink aliens with brown hair or blonde hair, it just doesn't look quite right.

Isn't that what they also said about [racial group]? That because they looked weird or not quite right that [slavery/Apartheid/pogroms/genocide] was justified? :lol:

I think the people in FTL should have odd combinations. It might look weird for most Humans but par the course for pirates. Which apart from Rebels will be your main source of Human enemies. (Waypoint Junta, militia and Federation deserters are not main sources of Human enemies.)
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:50 am

Heh, pretty early on in Crew'D I decided that I should leave in the more random combinations as A) they add a little bit more flavour and B) trying to get rid of them as the current code stands would be a lote more limiting.

I always figured the humans should be at least as varied as they are in real life (although I followed FTL's default colours for the most part), and I think Star Trek is a pretty decent benchmark for futuristic diversity. Sure, occasionally the colour pairings arn't what you'd expect, but then you look at Gannondorf or Mistique and you realise that sometimes unusual stuff really works.

Plus, that's where FanArt comes in. Maybe someone gets a pink alien with blonde hair and finds it odd, or they find it inspiring and go draw the crew...
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:35 am

Guardians of the Galaxy had some different colored humanoids as well.

I don't really care that much about how the humans look, this is just my first time in... Well ever that I've messed around with and analyzed the new layering crew customization from AE. I'm really just interested to try and figure out how it works just for the sake of knowing.
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uem8LyD9rj0

CE was brought up when Justin Ma was talking about his opinions on mods. He didn't go to well in depth with CE but you can tell the majority of what he said he liked in the FTL modding community strongly relates to CE.

I am rewatching the video in 1.5 speed trying to find the time and quote for you guys as no body got time to filter through all of that. (however it is interesting!). it's a long video.

Edit: Leaving a transcript off any mentions of mods!

13:49
Justin Ma: "So their are a ton of questions hold on. Stuff like charge beam, chain fire beam, So I do not know how, how will like ,I like some of the mods how they like totally experiment with using with what we have and just coming up with weird stuff out of it, just as as many weird alliterations as possible but what we are trying to go for is really concise clean as few duplicate things as possible so I do not see what any of those weapons will provide which will provide something that is a different experience then say firing twice or firing or more stuff like that so. I don't know in my view it had to bring something new to the table. "

13:35
Justin Ma: Somebody just ask me if I played with mods and I, i like test them and I just see what they do but usually I find them really weird and I - it's really awkward
TheGameCreatorsVault: seeing what people do to your game?
Justin Ma: yea it's it's well some of it's awesome like seeing people who like making art that are still sorta trying to be in line with with the sorta style that I worked with or or just going all out on the limb and doing crazy stuff and both of that is really exciting but usually it's sort of weird gameplay wise then I... at least from my experience

44:35
Justin Ma: Alright ZippyDragon can you re-add the augment that will teleport crew back on your ship when your enemy ship jumps. there will - I do not remember there ever having an augment that is... maybe I- I don't know maybe it's a mod I don't think mods are be able to do that I don't know maybe there was. I do not recall there being such ...

-continued-

52:11
Justin Ma: "Oh yea ZippyDragon those things that he found was a list of potential augments that are in the code that are just. I just writ them down in the xml's to be like we are hoping to eventually to but those are one of the things that we never really had bothered with, there is a couple of those that there was never added that are in those old XML codes.
It's just funny that people can go back into those and find it.

TheGameCreatorsVault: yea it's interesting when people get back in to the code and see things that they are not meant to see or were just ideas but weren't

Justin Ma: yea initially it felt uh really awkward to have people go in there and dig around and break stuff it's just like , mess around. It's like someone going through your underwear draw. Not a lot of things to find. The scripting system is pretty garbage and so yea it's really awkward but it's our fault for not making it more mod friendly I suppose... never really anticipated the...

-continued-

58:59
Justin Ma: "yea maybe we should have just added that augment because we are talking about its samll enough huh but I do not know why we didn't but it didn't seem important.

TheGameCreatorsVaul: which one?

Justin Ma; They are talking about the uh the augment where you get your crew back if you jump or the enemy jumps and they are on the enemy ship. yea...

56:00 stuff about why FTL is in C++}

1:08:59

Justin Ma: huh yea, some guy is talking about mods. [starts talking about the situation withen the game in the stream]

1:10:25
Justin: "So yea they are talking about mods. I think it's awesome what people did and Captains Edition is crazy. I feel bad that we never structured the game for modding and it's actual, it's incredibly hard to mod the game. Their tools is actually better to make ships then the tools we use to make ships so it's inspiring to see how much they could do with so little frankly. Which is pretty fun and I love some of the crazy ideas which there has been a number of things I've seen and Matt seen that like want to emulate because it's so awesome or to make some semiofficial But I do not know what we will be doing along the. Like part of me wants to make tons and tons of weapons but frankly that will change the balance so much that I will be afraid do change things like how much you see in stores and changes that sort of stuff and generally taking..."

"theres probably no more big updates upcoming like advance edition unless it's a year from now where we are like "eh maybe I miss working on FTL..." but at the moment we are really burnt out."

"eh, multiplayer, someone was spending a lot of time to remake the entire game just to add multiplayer and I think that stopped and he gave up at some point but yea we would require to; not even counting balance changes..."

------------------------------------------/END/--------------

So yea. he complimented CE and it was the only mod he specifically mentioned.

Also he stated there is a possibility off something up coming after a year or so if they miss working on the game.

Keep in mind this is a lot more off a higher chance to work on FTL later then what they said in interviews upon FTL release when questioned about more content upcoming and stuff. = :)

1:14:0 - He mentions the android version coming soon.

This is important as AE was mainly sparked by the iPad version and stuff was added more and more off what they wanted ie hacking, firedrone, etc.

He did mention he wanted to make a lightning weapon in the game so it may be no big surprise if we find that being added on an expansion during android release. ;)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:23 am

sorry for the poor quality of the transcript. I tried removing words that were not really needed (the millions of ums, ers, hahas, huhs, etc) and then structured it to make a bit more sense. However I promise you it makes more sense then youtube captaions :lol:

Also this is a Imgur gallery of FTL baby photos that I made!

http://imgur.com/a/5g6VF
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:16 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Also this is a Imgur gallery of FTL baby photos that I made!

http://imgur.com/a/5g6VF

Some of that original concept art for the UI was what made me want to finish Shiny! I like the original look they were going for with the UI...
Also, you will notice things like hyperspace travel sequences which never made it into the game.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Where did you get that gallery of baby pics, Rave?