FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
blueFTL

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.073

Postby blueFTL » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:49 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:I'm sorry mate but I think anyone will beg to differ that the current engi isn't under powered.

It was the first ship I went to sector 8 and first ship I manage to win the game in.

The Ion blast II is, from what I hear most of the time, a highly OP weapon, And the drone may not be as fancy as your burst lasers, but it fires rapidly compared to ship weapons.
The only 'Balance' you can do with this mod is only in the ship add on where it belongs, and that will only be switching to weapons equivalent to the first, nothing to much powerful or weaker then the other.

keep in mind I am talking about the vanilla one, the ship add on wasn't that bad when I left it, the effector + hull drone was a nice combo and lay down monster damage with ease.

Also how many other ships you got and how far you into the game? if my best bet is that your new, I do not think you're ready for mods yet. sorry.

I've been playing the game on and off for a year now. Unlocked all the ships + plans and finished the game on normal on most of the ships so no, I'm not a new player (though I'm new to modding and the forum, which is perhaps what gave you the impression that I'm a new player).

I apologise for not making it clear, but I'm using the Ship CE add-on. Contrary to what you suggest, with the add-on the Engi ship plan A starts with a Heavy Ion II (2 power/3 ion damage/1 system damage/16s recharge) and a Hull Drone, which functions like a vanilla laser drone but fires hull lasers.

In your reply I believe you're referring to the plan B ship instead, which comes with the Effector and an Old Laser (1 power/2 damage/ 10s recharge). I have no problems with the Plan B ship and have finished the game with it.

I do agree that maybe the ion blast II would be too OP. Maybe the ion blast 1 would be sufficient. My point is simply that the Heavy Ion II's 16s charge time is simply way too slow and makes early game more difficult than it should be. I just think that Instead of having such a powerful but slow weapon a quicker but less damaging weapon would be more suitable as a starting weapon.
rex4

Postby rex4 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Could it be that "Captain's Edition for Player Ships Addon 1.07" is not needed anymore ? patching with or without this still give weapons from CE to the ships.
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:10 pm

rex4 wrote:Could it be that "Captain's Edition for Player Ships Addon 1.07" is not needed anymore ? patching with or without this still give weapons from CE to the ships.

The reason that still exists as a separate download is that some people don't want new guns to the ships, but they still want the other new stuff. All of the new weapons given to the ships change their playstyles a little, and some people don't want that. It's like another layout for those ships.
OneLastBattle

Postby OneLastBattle » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:29 pm

So far as ships go, I've found that the add-on changes quite a lot.

Honestly, the most OP of the add-on ships is the Zoltan B by quite a lot. The weapon loadout (two burst ions, two hastas) is basically viable for the entire game and is easy to modify. It's quite trivial to breeze past the first sector or two with those shields, and once you've done that you're set for most problems. The only issues you're ever likely to face in the long run come from (A) Enemy ships with lots of firepower later on and (B) Asteroid fields before you have a shield. The Slug B, while not necessarily OP, is drastically improved from what I can tell, especially with the augments it starts with. The Rockman ships are also a bit better IMO, and the Engi B is better (but still not great from what I can tell).

Meanwhile, the Mantis B is capable, but seems a bit left behind, especially considering how many ships can get past two shields now. The Fed cruisers are a lot weaker, again, because enemy firepower is so much stronger earlier on that you need at least enough weaponry to disable their weapons while your artillery beam charges. Both Kestrels seem somewhat debuffed, especially the Kestrel B. Overall, most ships are a bit harder now because of the variety of enemies.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:09 am

blueFTL wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:I'm sorry mate but I think anyone will beg to differ that the current engi isn't under powered.

It was the first ship I went to sector 8 and first ship I manage to win the game in.

The Ion blast II is, from what I hear most of the time, a highly OP weapon, And the drone may not be as fancy as your burst lasers, but it fires rapidly compared to ship weapons.
The only 'Balance' you can do with this mod is only in the ship add on where it belongs, and that will only be switching to weapons equivalent to the first, nothing to much powerful or weaker then the other.

keep in mind I am talking about the vanilla one, the ship add on wasn't that bad when I left it, the effector + hull drone was a nice combo and lay down monster damage with ease.

Also how many other ships you got and how far you into the game? if my best bet is that your new, I do not think you're ready for mods yet. sorry.

I've been playing the game on and off for a year now. Unlocked all the ships + plans and finished the game on normal on most of the ships so no, I'm not a new player (though I'm new to modding and the forum, which is perhaps what gave you the impression that I'm a new player).

I apologise for not making it clear, but I'm using the Ship CE add-on. Contrary to what you suggest, with the add-on the Engi ship plan A starts with a Heavy Ion II (2 power/3 ion damage/1 system damage/16s recharge) and a Hull Drone, which functions like a vanilla laser drone but fires hull lasers.

In your reply I believe you're referring to the plan B ship instead, which comes with the Effector and an Old Laser (1 power/2 damage/ 10s recharge). I have no problems with the Plan B ship and have finished the game with it.

I do agree that maybe the ion blast II would be too OP. Maybe the ion blast 1 would be sufficient. My point is simply that the Heavy Ion II's 16s charge time is simply way too slow and makes early game more difficult than it should be. I just think that Instead of having such a powerful but slow weapon a quicker but less damaging weapon would be more suitable as a starting weapon.

Okay, but the the heavy ion II is enough to get by, all you need to do is time it so your drone does damage when the shields are down, if you got anything more better so to say then your set for the whole game, all you need is to upgraded your systems and get a few more drones. I will go test out the engi ship asap.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
votekick

Postby votekick » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:56 am

Need to add something so that when you kill the whole crew, and then let fires rage, and the ship explodes... You should then get additional scrap from the wreckage.

Maybe even a commandeer a ship if you like it better than your current one.

I'm thinking you kill the crew on a mantis bomber for example.

Prolly a bit of work that second one.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:06 am

votekick wrote:Need to add something so that when you kill the whole crew, and then let fires rage, and the ship explodes... You should then get additional scrap from the wreckage.

Maybe even a commandeer a ship if you like it better than your current one.

I'm thinking you kill the crew on a mantis bomber for example.

Prolly a bit of work that second one.

That is hard coded, and it used to be that way but then it was possible to cheat and get 3 times more rewards, accepting surrender (1), fire killing whole crew (2), then ship explodes (3). so the devs removed it, this change is hard coded, you can unpatch the game if you want but then you may have other issues like crashing and bugs and mods won't work.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.08

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:11 pm

The new update is finally done. RannI has joined as a co-writer, supplying lots of great flavour texts for this version.
This update focuses on adding new sector types and various new hazards. The new Regions are all working as intended, but might still require some balancing. They all have a pretty extreme risk-reward range, caution is advised when travelling there, but great treasure can be found as well. The concept of the Quarantine Sector was originally drawn up by kartoFlane, I recycled some of his events into the mod, with permission of course.

Another big addition is the CE social component. You can now chat with any crew member, not just humans, so you have even more to do at empty beacons. Crew conversations differ depending on crew faction and sometimes sector type as well. Socializing with your crew can also have rare special outcomes and sometimes even give you hidden quests. If you have lore friendly ideas what crew could say, then feel free to send your suggestions to me or post it in the textlists suggestion thread.

I experienced some random crashes upon jumping to the Engi home-worlds, but almost nothing was changed in this sector, so I'm not sure where this came from. As always, please report if crashes occure.

- SE: Three new sector types added (Industrial, Quarantine, AI Controlled), all containing dozens of new events
- Hazard Sectors are now unique (can appear only once per run)
- Small industrial smog clouds can be found in some Rock sectors now
- HE: Five new hazards added, most of them are closely tied to the new sector types
- CE Social component added, enables full conversations with all crew members and offers rare special outcomes
- Some new events for various old sectors added
- Various enemies now can use combat augs against you
- The flagship will always use a random combat aug against you in phase one
- Several wrong combat aug texts fixed
- Crystal Vengeance has increased retaliation chance and lower scrap-cost now
- The start beacon of the final stand now counts as an empty beacon
- One lost civilian PDS event to the eventlist added
- All PDS artillery charges slightly faster now
- Oxygen System is now globally designated as Life Support System for greater coherency in radiation events
- Zoltan and Engi now usually have some AI Avatars on their ships
- Militia Crafts and Stations have a more diverse crews now
- Gang Ships are crewed by random locals now
- Energy Defenders weapon mounts fixed
- Some more typos fixed
- CE for Player Ships Addon updated
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Thought I should report this...

-I downloaded Slipstream because Grognak just wasn't compatible with FTL CE 1.08

-I removed the FTL resource folder

-I reinstalled the game to the fresh vanilla version

-The FTL Resource folder is still in my trash can, not deleted yet

-I currently am using Slipstream for 2 mods, FTL CE 1.08 and Advanced Battle Systems v1.2 in that order.

Sometimes when I press "START", the game crashes. Not all the time, just sometimes when I press start. The game also crashes every time I click "RESTART".

When I just use FTL CE 1.08 alone, it crashes anyway for the same reasons. Is this a bug or compatibility issue? :?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Torchwood202 wrote: Is this a bug or compatibility issue? :?

I don't know. Someone else experiencing this crashes?