FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
snowhusky5

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.073

Postby snowhusky5 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:If you want to know the naming conventions instead, take a look at the sector names thread in sleepy's signature.

ikeelyou300 wrote:Snowhusky, if you are really concerned with knowing which sector is which you could look in the actual code, but that might ruin the fun of it.

ArmedKevin117 wrote:
snowhusky5 wrote:The other thing, how are you supposed to tell which sector is a home sector, for ship quests and such? This is a fairly important question...

You'll pick that up with experience. That's supposed to be the fun of it.

wow, three people responding... Guess I should have phrased the question better, I wanted to make sure that a difference existed between 'controlled' sectors and home sectors, not necessarily what the difference was. Thanks anyways!

EDIT: I've noticed another problem, now that the graphics aren't messed up at the artillery zones. With better planets and backgrounds, only at the artillery zones is that mod working. Everywhere else it's the default, vanilla low-res planets. The only other major mod I'm using is advanced battle systems (with the fix)
DOUBLE EDIT: found the problem, works fine now
Last edited by snowhusky5 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:37 pm

There is a difference, but it can be subtle to figure it out by yourself. It's not a crime to look at the sector naming thread really, as it only says the naming guidelines, not the names themselves.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Industrial Sector is finished and tested. I had to create some ship wrecks as dummy enemies to get the radiation working as intended, but apart from that everything worked. Well, calling backgrounds in two consecutive events that come from lists which only have one entry crashes the game, but I really should have guessed this... #endlesstrialanderror

The whole concept of deeply changing how nebula work offers some interesting possibilities for other sectors as well. And Better Planets and Backgrounds offers some great material to work with:

ice field concept, no real idea of how it could effect the ship (disrupt life support and door control?)
Delphi

Postby Delphi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Perhaps Ice Fields could work a bit like sun beacons, in that they regularly spawn an "ice blast", which would randomly lock down rooms, like the crystal special ability does? Some aumentations on the other hand might be able to prevent this effect, like zoltan shields can stop some planetary weapons. That would be a cool effect, but I don´t know if such a thing is possible.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:08 pm

CE's minefields might make it look like everything is possible, but hazards that constantly fire things are currently still of the table. My dream would be that AE opens up how hazards work with giving them bluerprins in the xmls, but that is also highly unlikely. New nebula are probably condemned to only drain your systems or have other outcomes that are controlled via events.
Delphi

Postby Delphi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Too bad, but I guess you would have had this idea yourself already, if such things were possible. In fact I thought it might work similar like minefiels, with some kind of invisible cluster crystal lockdown bomb effect. But let´s hope that AE offers a lot of new possibilities for modding.

Strictly speaking it would(to a small extend) break game continuity, to add different effects than draining systems to nebulae, because draining sensors and reactor energy is their only function in vanilla FTL. But I think it would be ok to do different things with this nebulae, if AE supports such things.

For example, your radioation nebulae could even have a permanent, shipwide(but far less drastic) "suffocating" effect. It would even make sense, if AI Avatars would be immune against it, since they don´t normally suffocate :)
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Ice fields should partially disable engines for both you and your enemy. Bad combustion or something.

EDIT: you say calling backgrounds two times in a single event from lists with only one entry... what if the lists have duplicate entries or something similar?
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Ice fields should partially disable engines for both you and your enemy. Bad combustion or something.

Um, what? :? In space?

If the ice chunks are large enough, they might be like asteroids, except maybe they don't cause fires. Actually, I don't really know why asteroids cause fires. :?
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Ice fields are full of very cold microparticles or something, which get into the propulsor or something.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Yeah, right. Through what? You're not operating a ramjet* in space. I think the only intake there might be would be to the fuel tanks, and it would only open if you were scooping fuel out of a gas giant, but it's not fuel for your FTL drive, because if it were, that should be a possibility if you run out.

*Edit: I meant one using air. There is a Bussard ramjet, which pulls in hydrogen from space to use as fuel. I don't think you'd operate that in an ice field.