FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captains Edition 1.051

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 pm

More and more people seem to have problems with CE and GMM. You might want to try the new slipstream mod manager instead.

dalolorn wrote:I'm going to have to take a look at the code - once you release it - to figure out what are you doing... :|

It's done with negative <sysDamage> and <crewDamage> tags. I think some other mods did this already.

A <damage> value of 4 actually represents 4 hull damage, 4 sys damage and 4 crew damage. If you set the <damage> value to 4 and the <sysDamage> and <crewDamage> value to -2 you get a weapons that deals 4 damage to hull and only 2 to crew and systems. I tested that a little and it seems the game does the math before applying any of the damage (So this works also against systems that are completely destroyed). Fun fact: multiple damage tags in a weapon are also summed up before the weapon deals damage. A blueprint with two <damage> tags, one set to 3, one set to -2, produces a weapons that deals only one damage. A blueprint with an <ionDamage> tag set to 1 and another one set to -1 produces a weapon that deals no ion damage. Negative Ion damage does not work, unfortunately... I wanted a reverse ion field bomb to deionize your systems... Fun fact 2: Ion weapons with <sysDamage> assigned deal it to the shield system if they hit shields.

I checked this because I secretly hoped that the tags are applied independently after each other. I wanted a light ion weapon that deals <sysDamage>8</sysDamage> and then <sysDamage>-8</sysDamage> to destroy a system for a split-second and then restores it, which could be used to reset weapon cooldowns and for other stuff. Didn't work out. But that damage is summed up before it is dealt is actually better and allows for other stuff, mainly these scatter weapons that where created.
Last edited by Sleeper Service on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:More and more people seem to have CE and GMM. You might want to try the new slipstream mod manager instead.

dalolorn wrote:I'm going to have to take a look at the code - once you release it - to figure out what are you doing... :|

It's done with negative <sysDamage> and <crewDamage> tags. I think some other mods did this already.

A <damage> value of 4 actually represents 4 hull damage, 4 sys damage and 4 crew damage. If you set the <damage> value to 4 and the <sysDamage> and <crewDamage> value to -2 you get a weapons that deals 4 damage to hull and only 2 to crew and systems. I tested that a little and it seems the game does the math before applying any of the damage (So this works also against systems that are completely destroyed). Fun fact: multiple damage tags in a weapon are also summed up before the weapon deals damage. A blueprint with two <damage> tags, one set to 3, one set to -2, produces a weapons that deals only one damage. A blueprint with an <ionDamage> tag set to 1 and another one set to -1 produces a weapon that deals no ion damage. Negative Ion damage does not work, unfortunately... I wanted a reverse ion field bomb to deionize your systems... Fun fact 2: Ion weapons with <sysDamage> assigned deal it to the shield system if they hit shields.

I checked this because I secretly hoped that the tags are applied independently after each other. I wanted a light ion weapon that deals <sysDamage>8</sysDamage> and then <sysDamage>-8</sysDamage> to destroy a system for a split-second and then restores it, which could be used to reset weapon cooldowns and for other stuff. Didn't work out. But that damage is summed up before it is dealt is actually better and allows for other stuff, mainly these scatter weapons that where created.

I thought I read that negative damage only works with healing bombs. Of course, this is a bit different, but...

Also, I'm aware of fun fact 2 - I've actually seen it in action. :)

Don't really know why anybody would use several damage tags of the same kind if that's the case.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:55 pm

dalolorn wrote:I thought I read that negative damage only works with healing bombs. Of course, this is a bit different, but...

Yeah this works a little different. In the end there is no negative damage applied to the crew at all, the damage from the <damage> tag dealt to crew and systems is just reduced by the negative <sysDamage> and <creDamage> tag.
eevpix

Postby eevpix » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:49 pm

So I was playing with the Captain's Mod, both the standard and for the player, as well as the expanded enemy window (not sure what it does exactly though) and I ran into this http://gyazo.com/f42a4e3257c0b0291717bbfd71e4dbf2 in one of the Zoltan sectors, Border Zone"Sisterhood" if I recall. After engaging me, the enemy ship became http://gyazo.com/7bea20bc8928b67c03311bf31016096e this. So while I can at least see the rooms, there is no ship there. Was this intentional? Because it doesn't look like it.
abyssion425

Postby abyssion425 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:07 am

ah you were playing an outdated version of the CE as this ship was removed from the pirate ship list.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14 am

Sleeper Service, I'm curious what your thoughts on The sM Polish Kit are and its CE compatibility patch. Have you thought about including any of the graphical or balance changes? If nothing else, the rotating barrels on the dual lasers are really cool.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:34 am

Yes, I'm already talked with slowriderxchorps about that. Some of the Polish Kit's visual and code changes will definitely be directly integrated into CE soon.

eevpix wrote:So I was playing with the Captain's Mod, both the standard and for the player, as well as the expanded enemy window (not sure what it does exactly though) and I ran into this http://gyazo.com/f42a4e3257c0b0291717bbfd71e4dbf2 in one of the Zoltan sectors, Border Zone"Sisterhood" if I recall. After engaging me, the enemy ship became http://gyazo.com/7bea20bc8928b67c03311bf31016096e this. So while I can at least see the rooms, there is no ship there. Was this intentional? Because it doesn't look like it.

I checked again, that should indeed be fixed in the current version...
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Finally, I had time for few longer playthroughs with latest CE version (real life prevented it, earlier) - I must say, that results are magnificent! I really like all the new UI things using impact effects - they add to immersion, and furthermore, are really useful. Love new events, too.
---

As for Polish kit - it have many nice ideas, but there are some things, that I would *not* like to see in CE:

1. "player exclusive" version of weapons (hermes missile, defense drone, boarding drone) - It adds to confusion (when I see certain things on enemy, I should know how it works +- random interference from crew's skill), and feels like "cheating" for or against AI (depending on if player version is stronger or weaker). IMO, it's heading into wrong way.

2. decrease in price for startup ship-specific augments (like mantis pheromones, drone reactor, titanium casing) - even when buffed like now, they're still useless - at least, they were worth as scrap buff, when sold on first shop. Now, ships having those got nerfed even more.

3. Stealth Corvette weapon's slot increase from 3 to 4 - WTF?! It throw balance out of the window, totally, considering startup weapon's and system layout on those ships (having random generator in mind, Glaive or good laser/beam, combo is no small starting feat). I have never felt that those 2 were underpowered - just required different approach.

4. Auto-scouts always with shields - why so? there are player ship variants without shields, I don't see reason why we shouldn't have some shieldless drone, from time to time. Usually, their weapons load/layout compensated for this.

5. Auto-assault with doors - why? Apart from not being logical (why they would design something like that - it nerfes anti-boarding characteristic of those auto drones), before, it required some initiative with boarding (using rock members or teleport lvl 2). Now, boarding, which was always OP, becomes even more effective.

6. Reducing max shields on all enemy ships from 5 to 4 - why so? Those ships were rare enough, on late sectors only (mostly, Last Stand), and/or on big ships like cruisers. There seemed like some bigger challenge, but never felt OP. No reason to nerf them like that.

7. Many ships becoming unable to spawn in sector 1 - nice, now sector 1 will become *much* more boring. I really don't mind Mantis boarders or zoltan bombers ships in sector 1, it provides interesting challenge (or reason to RUN, which already happens rarely enough in FTL, don't need to make us even more never-running-bersekers.).
---

As for other changes, either I'm neutral to them, or very optimistic :) Especially changes to always-under-powered Vortex and things like new names, fixes for graphical glitches, or rest of balance adjustment.

Cheers,
/Estel
abyssion425

Postby abyssion425 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:20 am

The Polish kit basically to me sounds like an unofficial easier mode then easy mode.
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi. Could you upload the images for the hulls of the new ships you added? i like to make mods for myself and i like the ships/stations in the mod.