[SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mr_easy_money

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Maybe you should add in a little lore to the backstory surrounding the mini beam?
Otherwise it feels like it appears out of nowhere
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:19 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:Maybe you should add in a little lore to the backstory surrounding the mini beam?

Holy crap! A weapon just floating in space!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:03 am

stylesrj wrote:Well the addition of the Mini Beam does make it a little easier. I just went on a Normal run and well, I thought I wouldn't make it past Sector 1. Shields got bombarded a lot, boarders always entered Weapons (so I had to initiate Emergency Vent Protocol 23 a lot) and well everything was a total fustercluck.

Yeah, I've found upgrading doors a really good early upgrade, after weapons, shields, and engines are upgraded. And yeah, "open all the doors but the medbay, and run there as fast as you can" is a huge tactic in this ship :)

stylesrj wrote:I don't know how I made it, but I did and with minimal damage too.

A LOT of the Flagship's bite is taken out by a teleporter on Normal and Easy modes. It's the primary reason I prefer Hard.

stylesrj wrote:Had fun, would try again but on CE Normal or something.

It would need a tailored FTL file, that removes any CE Ion storms and anything else weird that CE may do to the reactor (if anything). I likely won't do it, but if someone wants to I'll happily link to it in the first post, and have no problem with someone even putting up a new thread about it.

Speaking of that...

R4V3-0N wrote:I wanted to ask if you would be alright if I made the type B for the potential... I always thought of taking this ship to the complete other end of the spectrum. Still making it a 'potential' but not in terms of reactor power (I can also think of some ways how to take on a type C...), I know I do not really need to ask for permission for this as the hull isn't your work. [it's jefftheboardingdrones hull which was released for everyone] and there is no unique assets in the mod that I would need however I am still following the same line of idea as this ship as well as me producing a type B/ C for it.
(also wondering if I should link it here and then you update the OP if you like the ship designs, or should I simply make a new thread)

By all means go for it. I'd love to give it a try :) And yes, none of the art is mine and it was all freely given so as long as you link to the 3 places I linked to (depending on which hull/cloak you use of course) and keep your file's permissions as open, then you're all good. The Floor image I got from SuperLuminal (sweet little feature, that) so that's free to use as well.

As I said above, I'll happily link to it in the first post, or if you'd like your own post I'll happily link to that as well.

R4V3-0N wrote:Also I want to say now is that 'The pyro' you made way back in May 2013 was one of the first modded ships I have downloaded and by far the funnest one I still have ingrained in my memory also known as nostalgia - wanted to say that I did really enjoy that ship and such and in a way was my gate way into the forums. Thank you. (didn't want to necro that thread)

Yeah the Pyro's a fun one, if a bit one-trick-pony. Give the Asteroid a try if you've never tried the new version. The fire missile is a fun toy :)

mr_easy_money wrote:Maybe you should add in a little lore to the backstory surrounding the mini beam?

Oops. I totally forgot about that. I'll edit it in to the story somehow. Maybe it's the only functional weapon on the other ship... Or maybe ...

stylesrj wrote:Holy crap! A weapon just floating in space!

:lol:
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:23 am

A LOT of the Flagship's bite is taken out by a teleporter on Normal and Easy modes. It's the primary reason I prefer Hard.

It becomes all bark once you get Hacking though. Or Mind Control to help with abducting the enemy.

But in my Normal run I didn't have that kind of money and at the end, stores were not selling those systems. They were selling some weird system called "Drone Control."
Anyone know what that does? :P

It would need a tailored FTL file, that removes any CE Ion storms and anything else weird that CE may do to the reactor (if anything). I likely won't do it, but if someone wants to I'll happily link to it in the first post, and have no problem with someone even putting up a new thread about it.

Doh, I forgot about that part. Oh and now I can enter Nebula sectors without any qualms, knowing that an Ion Storm won't kill the game.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:33 am

stylesrj wrote:But in my Normal run I didn't have that kind of money and at the end, stores were not selling those systems. They were selling some weird system called "Drone Control."
Anyone know what that does? :P

Acutally drone control is great on this ship for one reason: You don't have to buy the power for them, or take down systems to power them up. Also you can simultaneously use up to 12 power (in theory) for your 3 drones. Some of my best Potential runs have included drone control, 3 good drones, and a drone recovery arm :)

stylesrj wrote:Oh and now I can enter Nebula sectors without any qualms, knowing that an Ion Storm won't kill the game.

I should probably make that a bit more clear in the first post.

ATTENTION: YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CRASH THE GAME WITH THIS MOD. THAT INCLUDES ZOLTANS AND ION STORMS. HIRE ZOLTANS AT WILL AND FLY THROUGH ALL THE NEBULAE YOU WANT.
(note: Zoltans won't help much, except in keeping things from getting ioned. You'll never actually need their power though).
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:00 am

Just to show something for my progress I've made...

Boom ,type B in superluminal (will require some ironing out and testing).

Instead of 60 power, it starts with all systems with max level (capped at 4, so things like engines, weapons, shields, drones, etc is at 4 while all other things at 3). Slightly consistent with the first ship- this time around it only has 1 engi for crew. Only weapon will be a Hermes missile with 6 ammo to start with, and only drone is a system repair drone with 6 drone parts.
"How can this possibly be not OP!?" you may say, besides the rather limited ammo for the only weapon it has, it also has only 1 power to begin with- where the back up battery has to support the most of the power at the start and it's more of a game of chess and where to put your engi at the start of the game rather then a game of RNGesus giving you scrap and weapons for the type A. Survive sector 1-2, then I hope this ship can start sailing unless you barely crawled out with shear skill on a bad run. That and also you only get 2 weapon slots and 2 drone slots instead of the normal 3-4 weapons or 2-3 drones on some ships.

This ship is in a way a complete contrust to the first, the first has limited systems and gear with huge power, while this one has limited power and crew but huge starting systems.

as I said I will iron it out a little later after I finish the superluminal'ing. Oh and yes I am familiar with how that is a weird floorplan... where it's basicly 2 separate halves of rooms with the only connections being the polar ends. Just something I wanted to experiment with the huge space this ship provides as most ships I work with are small for some reason.

Hull so far.
Changed stripes because federation and rebels got different strip patterning.

What's the opinions on this thing so far? (I may allow you to have the battery up to level 3 or 4 after I raise the cap but personally i never have raised the caps of systems before personally. May give it the augment that'll give more time with battery... or was it reduced cooldown for battery... it's been awhile since I got that augment)

Edit:

huh... I just looked at the gibs... besides being a bit rough- there is a lot of gibs O_o, not 100% sure if I have the time today to recolour all of those gibs seeing it's 14 of them. perhaps I can leave it for tomorrow and the next day unless someone is an expert of photoshop and can do it in 20 minutes and prevent me hassling through gimp as a semi-hobbiest and spending hours on it :lol:

I wounder what would be quicker... remaking gibs or recolouring the existing ones... hmmm... I might make my own and make them more larger.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:22 am

That's awesome. I didn't know you could start with every single system without crashing the game. :D

The many small gibs was to make the ship look like it was collapsing into its own black hole. Totally unnecessary for you, as this ship probably shouldn't have the same storyline construction oddities.

Can't wait to playtest!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:38 am

5thHorseman wrote:That's awesome. I didn't know you could start with every single system without crashing the game. :D

I think it was mentioned many times you could have all the systems on one ship. The problem is just powering them all.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:52 am

5thHorseman wrote:That's awesome. I didn't know you could start with every single system without crashing the game. :D

The many small gibs was to make the ship look like it was collapsing into its own black hole. Totally unnecessary for you, as this ship probably shouldn't have the same storyline construction oddities.

Can't wait to playtest!

You can have as many systems as you want in game, the only problem is the UI for the systems get pushed more and more to the right that it overlaps with the subsystems. I am planning to try to minimalise this problem by having 2 weapon slots and 2 drone slots, maybe as a sign of love Justin Ma and Mathew added a 2 weapon slot UI for player ships for AE, even though no player ship uses it before or after AE, it can't be helped but to think it was for the player specifically for the modders. So with the new UI I will not get a 4 slot weapon system with only 2 weapons. This may help my problem a bit if it works.

I see what you did with the gibs, however I can think of a easy way and just have a big huge white square filling the entire screen as your ship ex/implodes. However that is the easy way out...

For me I guess I'll go simple and just go with 3 large chunks, have it break in a 2/3rd and then the engine falls off.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 am

stylesrj wrote:

I think it was mentioned many times you could have all the systems on one ship. The problem is just powering them all.

Not surprised, and not surprised I missed it. While I stayed on the forums all the past year, I didn't read 99% of the posts up until about a month ago. And then, I increased my reading frequency to "didn't read 95% of the posts" :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB