[MOD] The Vindicator (Animated Artillery Beam)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

[MOD] The Vindicator (Animated Artillery Beam)

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 am

Made an account so I could share this outside of the FTL subreddit.

Ever wondered what the Artillery Beam was going to look like initially? Well thanks to files that were left in the standard game after being scrapped, you can. This mod takes two unused files and makes a couple of minor graphical and textual tweaks in order to animate the nose of the Federation Cruiser to reflect the charge status of the Artillery Beam.

Video of a test of the graphics (odd-coloured pixels were fixed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA-tqjJQWLM

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z66yk5194agf7k0
Alternate Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrdjoiqrmnllcsj/The%20Vindicator.ftl

Side-note: I'd love to also put up the full collaboration of all the minor aesthetic tweaks I've done over the past month, but I'm not sure since it uses graphics from diversityMod, and even if the author of that mod (liakad) said it was okay to use them, I'm not so sure...
Last edited by slowriderxcorps on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNewbie

Re: [MOD] The Vindicator (Animated Artillery Beam)

Postby TheNewbie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:15 pm

I really don't understand why they removed those animations. They look so good.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:15 am

Ow, thats nice. I assume u can make custom animated artillery spots right? (but i am thinking.. it will be very tedious.. to place the weapon exactly in the firing point of the sprite..).
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 am

TheNewbie wrote:I really don't understand why they removed those animations. They look so good.

Well as I found out shortly after making the mod, I found out that weapons aren't rendered when you make an FTL jump. So as a result I put a semi-transparent graphic of the beam back atop where it appears so that the silhouette of the ship isn't blatantly broken when jumping.

As for why it was removed, here's Justin Ma's response to the subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ftlgame/comments/1d0tdq/something_i_noticed_in_the_game_files_but_not/c9m0prm
ImageImage
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Hey man, I never got around to telling you I really liked your mod.

How would one go around animating the Arty for a custom ship?
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:Hey man, I never got around to telling you I really liked your mod.

How would one go around animating the Arty for a custom ship?

Hmm.. It certainly wouldn't be easy, and would necessitate creating new weapon graphics that resemble the part of the ship you want to animate. The thing to remember is that the weapon graphics will appear below the ship in terms of layer order, so unless your ship graphics have some degree of transparency where the beam will be placed, you won't see it at all. At the same time though, just making that part of the ship graphic completely blank is bad as weapons aren't rendered when making FTL jumps, leaving your ship looking.. incomplete.
ImageImage
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Mind if I use your mod as a template? I think I've gotten this figured out : ]
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:27 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:Mind if I use your mod as a template? I think I've gotten this figured out : ]

Sure you can! In seeing this pop up, it reminded me that since its release, I made some slight tweaks to it in its integration with my main mod, the sM Polish Kit. A couple of minor touches to make it look a little smarter. This standalone mod has now been updated with the revised graphics.
ImageImage
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:09 pm

This nice little mod doesn't seem to work properly with AE:
http://s16.postimg.org/scmymn4sz/fed_b.jpg

Any chances for updated release?

Cheers,
/Estel
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Estel wrote:This nice little mod doesn't seem to work properly with AE:
http://s16.postimg.org/scmymn4sz/fed_b.jpg

Any chances for updated release?

Cheers,
/Estel

The animated Artillery Beam was integrated into the sM Polish Kit as well as my EngiB None Man Army mod. The mod has almost been fully readapted for AE, so if you want to get it working, give that a shot and tell me what you think (since nobody seems to be giving me any feedback.. :( )

Alternatively, you can find the lines that were added within the code for AE that defined where the Floor Layouts were placed and implement them in manually. Right now, I've gott too much on my hands to help immediately..
ImageImage