Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Ships

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Crusher

Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Ships

Postby Crusher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 am

Hello everyone,

I've decided to make a Type C version of every ship with an emphasis on making them generally more challenging than the vanilla ships. As with all mods, these ships will actually be replacing existing ships (the type Bs). They were primarily made for myself so that I could continue enjoying the game after beating it with every ship, but I figured someone else out there might be interested. I don't have a lot of experience/interest in the graphics aspect of the game, so any new ships and weapons just use vanilla images (but if someone is interested in making graphics for them, that would be cool, and I would do the small effort required to implement them). These ships are in various stages of development, so I'll post the rest as I finish them. Let me know what you think, questions, suggestions, etc.

Mantis Type C: The Sarcosuchus (No O2 Boarding! Replaces Mantis Type B)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?eoro5aw0fza320o
While extracting information from the Rebels, your ship sustained heavy damage, lowering shields to one bar and destroying sensors, doors and most importantly the life support (O2). Most of the crew has also died leaving you with just 1 Mantis and 1 Crystal. Though lacking several standard issue systems, it has many amenities to compensate: cloaking, drone control (system repair and antipersonel), a 4 crew teleporter, a 5 crew medbay, and level 2 piloting. The weapons system is limited to just a Heal Burst and a Minibeam essentially necessitating boarding. I suggest self enforcing a 5 crew limit. One can certainly manage more, but it becomes very tedious and it doesn't feel very thematic (I would've put the limit in myself if I could). The ship is challenging, but my win rate on normal is still >1/3 so it's certainly doable and I think quite fun. This .ftl file also modifies the starting event to include an optional, fleshed out story of The Sarcosuchus.

Warnings:
[*]When you load this ship in the hangar, you are advised to quickly start a game and move your crew to the medbay. They will be suffocating in the meanwhile (even in the hangar).
[*]All of these mods may or may not work in conjunction with other people's mods; however, 5thHorseman's Low O2 Icon mod (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14243) is compatible with them and may be aesthetically desirable for The Sarcosuchus due to the 2x3 medbay and constant lack of O2.

Engi Type C: The Singularity (Boarding Drones! Replaces Engi Type B)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?6w276uq0b4ony5b
Cornered by the Rebels, the Engi have brought back their fearsome boarding drones and radiation weapons, which were (and still are) banned by a galactic protocol. This ship comes with 2 boarding drones (only requiring 2 system power) and supports them with a "dirty bomb", a bomb that does only 1 system damage but does 4 additional personel damage (this damage does not affect the boarding drones). Boarding drones never seemed like a viable primary strategy in FTL, so I wanted to make a ship that could (and must) do it. My win rate is about 1/3 with this one. Running out of drone parts, despite starting with 25, is a serious concern. At some point you will probably have to transition into traditional weapons, but you should have several sectors of boarding drone fun. Tactically and efficiently using the dirty bombs is engaging even though the boarding drones are autonomously doing a lot of the heavy lifting. The starting event has been modified to have a short fleshed out story of The Singularity.

Zoltan Type C: The Annihilator (No Starting Reactor Power! Replaces Zoltan Type B)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?894eby8w7fn4x7q
The Annihilator has used an experimental Zoltan weapon, the phase beam, to extract key information about a Rebel attack planned against the Federation capital. Escaping from Rebel fighters, The Annihilator rushed into its FTL jump, overloading and ultimately destroying its reactor. The Annihilator comes with 4 Zoltan crew, the only source of power at the start of the game, but you are able to buy power bars like normal (thematically repairing the reactor). I wanted to increase the cost of the first 5 power bars, but unfortunately those costs are hard coded for some reason. The Annihilator's only weapon is a custom weapon I call the phase beam. It requires 3 power and is essentially a minibeam that has 2 shield piercing and a really long (20 second) recharge time. You will not be able to run all of your systems at the same time to begin with, but the Zoltan shield should help you survive long enough to use the phase beam despite not being able to use the usual defenses. The starting event includes a short story explaining The Annihilator.

Rock Type C: Krakatoa (Fire Boarding! Replaces Rock Type B)
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/17ehh ... akatoa.ftl
Krakatoa is a non-military ship manned by a Rock religious sect, the Fire Monks. In order to defend themselves as they race to warn the Federation, they must exploit the weakness of aliens (from the perspective of Rocks) to fire. Krakatoa comes with a pyrogenic missile, the Vulcan Missile that does only 1 damage but is highly likely to start a fire. It also has an artillery weapon, the Prometheus Ray, that continuously attempts to ignite fires at random on the opposing ship. It comes with three Rocks and a two personel teleporter, so that you can (and essentially must) begin fire boarding from the outset. Since it is not a military ship, it does not come with shields, but it does have heavily reinforced armor (triple rock armor). Additionally there are many empty rooms increasing the likelihood that hits do not damage critical systems. The Fire Monks believe that artificial intelligence is an offense to the gods, and so they refuse to use drones (Cannot have drone control). Fire boarding is a lot of fun, but it's very impractical in the game. Also, I found it very strange that the pyrogenic weapons in the game combined best with Rocks, but didn't feel very Rock-like (bombs and beams are the least Rock feeling weapon types in my opinion). Anyway, this may be the easiest of the challenge ships I've made so far, but it is still more difficult than vanilla ships (especially with the lack of shields) and it is a lot of fun. The starting event includes a short story for Krakatoa.

Warnings:
[*]Do not buy drone control at stores! It won't do anything.
[*]Rock armor was modified to cost less (so you can only sell it for 20 scrap) and be cumulative. This will affect other ships while the mod is in effect.
[*]The Federation cruisers will have the Prometheus Ray rather than the usual Vindicator Beam it comes with. This will probably make the Federation cruisers very strange to use...

Thanks go to Kartoflane for making Superluminal (used to mostly design these ships) and all sorts of other help in the modding process. Also thanks go to the game developers for a great game and benevolence towards the modders. Enjoy and let me know any questions/suggestions/comments!
Last edited by Crusher on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 am, edited 12 times in total.
Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Mod Ships containing:
Mantis Type C: The Sarcosuchus (No O2!)
Engi Type C: The Singularity (Boarding Drones!)
Zoltan Type C: The Annihilator (No Starting Reactor Power!)
Rock Type C: Krakatoa (Fire Boarding!)
5thHorseman

Re: Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Ships

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 am

Feel free to incorporate my O2 Icons mod in your ships, you just have to put the images into the folder in your .ftl zip file.

Interesting idea! I'll give it a spin and see how it runs. I'm curious how you handle ftl jumps and doing repairs. I like how the guys take damage in the hangar too. That's something I'd have not expected.

You should put some screenshots of the ship here so we can see what we're getting ourselves into!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Crusher

Postby Crusher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 am

I handled jumping by giving it a Crystal and having piloting near the medbay, nothing more elegant than that. The medbay exactly cancels with suffocation damage for normal crew members (so heal burst is necessary to actually heal them), but the Crystal can actually get health back, so he makes a good pilot.

And yeah, I should definitely do a couple screen shots. They'll be up sometime soon.
Last edited by Crusher on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 am

After 5 attempts, one of which I made it out of the first sector but lost my mantis shortly after, I gotta say this is just too hard for me. Good challenge, but the lack of shields AND dodge seems to mean that I am constantly spending all my scrap on repairing.

I got shields in my very last playthrough before my mantis choked to death running to the medbay from the teleporter. At that point I lost the will to go on.

Were I to fiddle with this ship I'd consider one or more of the following: 1 more weapon power so you can actually have the beam AND bomb charging at the same time. A defense drone to at least curb missiles. 2 in the shield, even if you have to pull power from somewhere else to get them running.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Crusher

Postby Crusher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:36 pm

I originally gave it a full layer of shields but was winning every game. Is there a good alternative way to lower the strength of the ship?

As for charging minibeam and heal burst at the same time, I feel like you rarely want both. If you are boarding with the Mantis you want the heal burst, but are trying to kill the crew so you don't need the minibeam, or you are trying to take out an autoship, but then don't really need the heal burst since your mantis is staying in your medbay.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Maybe the weapon thing wouldn't be so bad, but it was just a layer of incessant micromanagement that made the ship all that much harder to play. I frequently found that while juggling teleporter, cloak, engines, and who was where I forgot that I wanted the bomb (or the beam) and had the beam (or the bomb) half-charged simply due to the fact that I had to drop something from my mental checklist.

And do you ever record let's plays? I'd love to see how you manage to not get hit by 10 shots in every battle without shields. I'm not exaggerating, here. I was frequently under 10 hull by the 4th or 5th jump, because I had to choose between sending my mantis (without full health) to the enemy ship alone (aka suicide) so my Crystal dude could steer (giving me more than 5% dodge chance), or send both over (the only real viable choice) and allow my ship to be literally pummeled by enemy fire while my guys beat them in the slowest hand to hand combat battles I've ever seen.

I can see how a level 1 shield might help too much, but with how many bombs and missiles (and drones!) I encountered in my playthroughs, not having shields was simply the icing on a fiery, shrapnel-infused cake. Even when I got the 2nd notch in shield (took me all of sector 1 to save up the 100 scrap) I was still in a really bad way because my poor mantis could never keep at anywhere near full health, and the enemies I faced had no problem still dealing damage to the ship.

Don't take this the wrong way. I like a challenge and I'm not telling you to dial it down. I'm just stating my experience. This ship seems to be a razor's edge choice between dealing damage and taking damage, or avoiding (some) damage and escaping the battle with no reward. And neither choice allowed me to progress through the game very far. I could easily be overlooking some strategy that would allow me to win consistently with this, but I tried everything I could think of an they all failed, quickly and miserably.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Crusher

Postby Crusher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm

I've never recorded a playthrough before, but I'm not opposed to it. What's the best way to do that?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Crusher wrote:I've never recorded a playthrough before, but I'm not opposed to it. What's the best way to do that?

When I started, I used the free version of Bandicam which lets you record for 10 minutes, and the free version of VideoPad which lets you edit free-of-charge for 30 days. When my 30 days was up I bought VideoPad, and when I wanted to record more than 10 minutes I bought Bandicam, but I made dozens of videos before then. If you don't care about intros and outros and music and fancy stuff like that, you can just use Bandicam and upload the result.

And uploading to YouTube is one of the easiest things out there, though it takes time and bandwidth :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm

DXtory is a great recording software.
Teamspeak3 has built in video recording and is free.
Livestream procaster can do it too (and stream) and is also free.
Then there's always fraps, but honestly dxtory is straight-up better.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Crusher

Postby Crusher » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Just updated the initial post to include Engi Type C: The Singularity, a boarding drone focused ship. Enjoy! Still looking into doing play throughs for these two ships.