[SHIPS/WEAPONS] Star Trek Universe - Final update!.

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
BrenTenkage

Re: [SHIP/S] Star Trek Universe (Wip)

Postby BrenTenkage » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Ah, its ok, I'm sure you will fix everything, the ship itself is good, I mean the weapons really are awesome. Ever think of asking for the guy who made the Klingon ship permission to use his ships?
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:52 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:Ah, its ok, I'm sure you will fix everything, the ship itself is good, I mean the weapons really are awesome. Ever think of asking for the guy who made the Klingon ship permission to use his ships?

Nah, i have my own sprites :), and i like to make my own stuff from scratch. The problem with star trek mods is that there are always 2 or 3 classic ships of every side, and there be always coincidence in some of em. There is no way someone will not include the bird of prey as a classic klingon ship, for example. But instead of the vorcha as a second choice, i will include the negh'var.

Thx, the weapons, in my opinion are one of the most important tings to make someone "feel" the mod hes playing. Including the sounds. A weapon without the proper sound will not look even closer than another one with a good fited sound. If i put the photon torpedoes with the sound of a missile... u will think (wtf? that weapon is horrible). But with the classic photon torpedo sound, the weapon improves 100% ^^.

I realized that modding for ftl is more complicated (and it takes more time) than modding for other games, because u are always fixing things here and there, and improving other ones. For example, i am not very happy with the weapon graphics (i only recolored em, added minor details and i did a bit bigger the missile launcher) for the Starfleet, but since i did em as a test, now i can improve it in future updates. But since that is less important, it will take time.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi guys, im trying to fix 1 problem im having before i can update the link on the first post.

I have issues with the firing point of the proyectiles. When i change the position of the firing point to the right place, i test the enterprise, everything is ok., but when i test it on the defiant, the firing point is again missplaced. I thought the firing point was only related to weapons, so the firing point is always the same, no matter where u put the weapon. But obviously im wrong, anyone knows how to fix this?

Im thinking that is something related to the weapon being mirrored or not.. but... how to fix it? maybe making weapons that only slide to the right ?
ImageImage
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 pm

I like how you have tuned the Defiant for assault, but the current assault abilities are OP. I would consider to downscale the weapons systems to two power bars, meaning that the player would have to choose which weapon to preignite. Otherwise it's too easy to hoard scrap and divert it in time for shields and repairs. With it's ready-to-fire armament, the ship didn't create enough suspension in the beginning of the game. The run is all about making it into a rampant beast, not starting off with one. It would be best to leave the Defiant without teleport ability in order to maintain its unique assault class quality throughout the run.

I think this mod has great potential since you build a lot of depth into the ship design to make it emulate the inspiration source. It's a solid concept, and I will enjoy to follow the development all the way!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 am

thx greetingsfromoslo, yea my idea was to give only 3 power bars to the defiant on weapon systems, but in the end i used 3 for the player to be allowed to use the 2 weapons and keeping in mind the defiant has an extensive use of weapons. But yeah, maybe u are right and its a bit op in the beginning. I will change it to 3, then.

About the teleport, i dunno wat to do, since in this case, the teleport is just a ship addon, in the tv shows and the movies the teleportation is something usual, in every ship, so i will keep it in every ship but of course in cases like the defiant, only available through buying it on a shop. But, the ships designed for assault, for example like the defiant will have only small teleport rooms, so u can only teleport 2 guys at a time (i dunno if i can make a 1x1 teleport room, xDD, but i think not). Besides, i changed the initial layout of the defiant, and it will have only 2 crew members. In the case of the enterprise, the crew will raise to 5, and i will raise the sensors subsystem by 1 (since its supossed the enterprise is mostly designed for exploration), it will have a bigger teleport room (just watch the tv shows and the "partys" that are continously part of the plot lol), but no cloak. And in this case, the cloak will not be available on the enterprise, since Starfleet ships (to the defiant exception) never had cloak. Sorry if some guys will miss the cloak on some ships, but it is for keeping the trek universe intact :p

Unfortunately, until i fix the issue with the firing points or someone gives me some tips, i cant advance too much. I am trying to re-design the weapon graphics in a way that they will not have mirrored versions (they will "open" only to the right side), i hope that way the firing point will be always the same. The bad thing, i will not be allowed to keep the actual weapon mount points and i will need to move em. This will cause the weapons to appear on wrong places if we talk about the ships in the tv shows, and where they have the weapons mounted..
ImageImage
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 am

speedoflight wrote:Unfortunately, until i fix the issue with the firing points or someone gives me some tips, i cant advance too much.

Perhaps you should make a separate thread for this issue, as it could be of interest to other modders as well? Or include it in the progress section of the OP. Either way, it's easier for the right person to spot the issue and give you their feedback. Unfortunately I'm a red shirt when it comes to modding matters: I'm not worth a damn thing! :lol:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 am

The firing point you mention. It is allways the same regardless of mirroring. If you open the weapont art strip in MS Paint and move the cursor over the 1st frame, you can find the co-ordinates where you wish the projectile to spawn at.
I can't imagine why it's acting weird. Go over the blueprints and animations slowly, maybe there's an error there.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 pm

UltraMantis wrote:The firing point you mention. It is allways the same regardless of mirroring. If you open the weapont art strip in MS Paint and move the cursor over the 1st frame, you can find the co-ordinates where you wish the projectile to spawn at.
I can't imagine why it's acting weird. Go over the blueprints and animations slowly, maybe there's an error there.

Hmm, but it isnt. I tried 4 weapons mounted on the defiant, all 4 quantum torpedos, and only in 2 of em, the firing point is correct. In the other 2 its displaced. I already know how the coordinates works, thats the reason im posting this issue. I tried to change the x value of the firing point to 23, since the sprite width is 46. So i put it in all the middle, but it doesnt work. In 2 of em, the firing point is perfect, in the other 2, one of em has the firing point slighty to the right (showed slighty down in-game), and the other one has the firing point totally displaced.

So, im wondering, nobody has suffered these bugs?
Last edited by speedoflight on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Also I noticed Photon torpedos dont get shot down from def drones mk 1. Is that intended?
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Metzelmax wrote:Also I noticed Photon torpedos dont get shot down from def drones mk 1. Is that intended?

Photon Warheads are not missiles, they are laser type weapons, so unless u are talking about the advanced defense drone, that can fire at lasers as well (i think), level 1 defense drones cant do anything with photon,quantum or transphasic torpedos.
ImageImage