[SHIP] The Marauders

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
UltraMantis

Re: [SHIP] The Marauders

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 am

I was delayed a little due to last minute animation problems. The mod is 99% finished. The only issues still remaining are gib problems (they don't really work as they should) and one sound effect that i did not make yet. There are animation problems as well but it may take a long time to find the problem and fix it.

Fair warning to those eager to play, these ships will not be easy. My guess is that difficulty will be between NORMAL and EXTREME, depending on which ship you pick. Difficulty does not equal torture (at least i hope), i think you'll have fun.

The mod is now available for download. - Fixed HE-Laser shield piercing. Sort of...

Expect the weapons pack standalone in the next few days.

EDIT - Turns out i re-introduced the shield piercing bug regarding the High Energy Laser. It is unable to pierce 2 shields as is intended. I've attempted a quick fix.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Gibs are certainly the most hard thing to do when modding for ftl, they need a lot of patience and supervision, thats thre reason i always let em to the end, especially if we know gibs are not essential to the game, but they are just visual addons.

Very nice ships, that reminds me when i used to mod for gratuitous space battles, and i made a lot of ships, splicing the models xD. Its a nice idea that i didnt think of (and as i said i did the very same thing for GSB). I only wish this game was made for high resolutions and we could use ships far bigger and bigger (that will be really awesome).

Actually its very bad to see a ship image with all those tiny windows painted and then u can see a crew member as big as 20 windows... lol . Thats the reason i guess only a few people uses images instead of manual working on the ships.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4skLsI ... e=youtu.be

Well that was fun, I'll do the other ship in the next episode
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm

speedoflight wrote:Gibs are certainly the most hard thing to do when modding for ftl, they need a lot of patience and supervision, thats thre reason i always let em to the end, especially if we know gibs are not essential to the game, but they are just visual addons.

Pesky things they are indeed. When leaving them for last, don't make the same mistake that i made and leave unfinished and unpainted pieces. :lol: I hid the coloration mismatch as best i could. Actually the only issue i have is that several pieces fly in random directions while others comply with what's in the .xml

speedoflight wrote:Very nice ships, that reminds me when i used to mod for gratuitous space battles, and i made a lot of ships, splicing the models xD. Its a nice idea that i didnt think of (and as i said i did the very same thing for GSB). I only wish this game was made for high resolutions and we could use ships far bigger and bigger (that will be really awesome).

Splicing is slightly on the cheap side but as a bonus the look of FTLs own crystal ships is preserved. The one mod that is older than this one is still unreleased simply because i am not skilled enough to paint it. I think i will abuse the ship editor in GalCiv2. :D

speedoflight wrote:Actually its very bad to see a ship image with all those tiny windows painted and then u can see a crew member as big as 20 windows... lol . Thats the reason i guess only a few people uses images instead of manual working on the ships.

I thought at first you meant the system rooms. Well the size discrepancies can be forgiven somewhat, unless it's really very obvious. The room layout of the ship can be seen as a aproximation of the ships innards not neccesarily in realistic proportions. Otherwise we'd have very tiny cruisers.

BrenTenkage wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4skLsIExM&feature=youtu.be

Well that was fun, I'll do the other ship in the next episode

Thanks for the praise. I really tried to make the ship as awesome as possible but also give the FTL players a bigger hill to climb. RNG can be very cruel sometimes, but i particularly enjoy dancing with death and barely surviving. Still happens that a shot or two misses, or weapon replacements dont show up, or i just don't manage to escape in time. Image

Id like to point out that i'm not the only moderator on the forum. In fact, post count aside, i'm not even the most active.

(i dont have time to watch the whole video right now. I'll check it later tonite.)
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Well, the doors too.

Be need to think of ->

If we look at the crew ammount , the ships should be all of em fighter - types, cuz a maximum crew of 8 its really poor, even for a frigate.

If we look at the size of the rooms/doors in conjunction with the ship sizes, its obvious that the ships are not bigger than a frigate, a cruiser will never have 20 meters long, for example, it will be really really bigger than that lol. All the ships should be considered frigates in FTL, even fighters in some cases, even if some labels says "cruiser".

So unless u make a ship without visible windows or something like that, it will be very weird the vision of the ship, but of course, thats not really important, fortunately the game focuses on other things..
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

speedoflight wrote:Well, the doors too.

Be need to think of ->

If we look at the crew ammount , the ships should be all of em fighter - types, cuz a maximum crew of 8 its really poor, even for a frigate.

If we look at the size of the rooms/doors in conjunction with the ship sizes, its obvious that the ships are not bigger than a frigate, a cruiser will never have 20 meters long, for example, it will be really really bigger than that lol. All the ships should be considered frigates in FTL, even fighters in some cases, even if some labels says "cruiser".

So unless u make a ship without visible windows or something like that, it will be very weird the vision of the ship, but of course, thats not really important, fortunately the game focuses on other things..

True, but look at it like this, perhaps each crew member we are using are in fact the leader of a small squadron, under the orders of that one person.
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Bren, you want to depower the medbay at the start. You don't need it if no one is injured and you need the power.

On Normal difficulty those pesky Zoltan have supershields and you cant take 'em out with fire. They allways get a shot in at least, watch out. The good thing about Normal is that enemies have slightly more HP so you burn the crew and grab the ship intact. :)

A good early upgrade is the cloak. It's the only way to minimise damage taken. The is no shield on the Magma. Repair Arms and a Pre-igniter are augs to have. You got pretty damn far on only one level cloak.

Finally, never let fires burn idly, vent those rooms. Oh and speaking of fires, i never knew you liked them so
much :lol: On the enemy ship ofc.

And as you mentioned really really wanting the fire weaps on the Kestrel, i made a little mini-mod for you. It's the regular Kestrel but with Magma's weapons (and slightly slower engines). Enjoy.
Bren's Kestrel - minimod
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:24 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Bren, you want to depower the medbay at the start. You don't need it if no one is injured and you need the power.

On Normal difficulty those pesky Zoltan have supershields and you cant take 'em out with fire. They allways get a shot in at least, watch out. The good thing about Normal is that enemies have slightly more HP so you burn the crew and grab the ship intact. :)

A good early upgrade is the cloak. It's the only way to minimise damage taken. The is no shield on the Magma. Repair Arms and a Pre-igniter are augs to have. You got pretty damn far on only one level cloak.

Finally, never let fires burn idly, vent those rooms. Oh and speaking of fires, i never knew you liked them so
much :lol: On the enemy ship ofc.

And as you mentioned really really wanting the fire weaps on the Kestrel, i made a little mini-mod for you. It's the regular Kestrel but with Magma's weapons (and slightly slower engines). Enjoy.
Bren's Kestrel - minimod

*Grins like an evil maniac*
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 am

well that was fun, you'll have the link to the lets play in bout an hour
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 am