UP (Under Powered) Ship Challenge!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
EchoesofOld

Re: UP (Under Powered) Ship Challenge!

Postby EchoesofOld » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:55 am

shark wrote:Everyone has a different feeling of balance... Some people like it in their favor, some others - against their favor. Then there's the group who enjoys level field as long as the new content is within some 'bounds' - again, of their own subjective feeling.

My MO was always to make something exactly as I envisioned it, and let people love/hate it. Taking suggestions is fine, but taking orders isn't - this comes down to pretty much taking suggestions you were already thinking about. Listening and trying to cater to too many people will double backfire on you - your work will be dilluted and some of your loyal fanbase will break off due to that very fact.

For example, look at the history of world religion. Look at history of starcraft - patch 1.08f and Brood War were the great schisms. I could draw this parallel from 1.0 to the latest 1.13.1 but the point remains that - once people get what they wanted, you're not gonna be allowed to change it even if at the cost of permanently losing that user. Because that's what users do, they pack up and leave (I wish, they will give you shitstorms about how "a perfectly good idea" / "their game" / "this mod that was once a classic" was ruined by you)

Yeah, I know all about "Ya cant please everyone." But thanks for the advice nonetheless! :mrgreen:
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm

So what ships was the original idea here meant to be done with? The 18 base ships? But then why is this in the mods forum?

A modded ship? But the points system seems to benefit starting with more on your ship, not less.

What behaviour are you trying to encourage in an UP ship challenge? Presumably, making a mod ship that seems very weak but manages to travel a long way. In which case I think the points ought to be based on the starting ship configuration, plus perhaps some amount for each sector travelled. Something like: 50 points for no shields, 10 points for 1 shield bubble, 0 points for 2+ shield bubbles. 50 points for <2 weapon power, 30 points for <4 weapon power. -25 points for an offensive drone or a starting teleporter. -25 points for cloak. Reactor points: 100, minus 10 for each bar of power you start with. 20 points for <3 starting engines. And so on.

I imagine some of the Zerg ships in my sig ought to be worth a look for an UP ship challenge ;) Starting with neither shields nor cloak is very tough, although in the more general case I suppose starting with some OP weaponry could make up for it.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm

alextfish wrote:So what ships was the original idea here meant to be done with? The 18 base ships? But then why is this in the mods forum?

A modded ship? But the points system seems to benefit starting with more on your ship, not less.

What behaviour are you trying to encourage in an UP ship challenge? Presumably, making a mod ship that seems very weak but manages to travel a long way. In which case I think the points ought to be based on the starting ship configuration, plus perhaps some amount for each sector travelled. Something like: 50 points for no shields, 10 points for 1 shield bubble, 0 points for 2+ shield bubbles. 50 points for <2 weapon power, 30 points for <4 weapon power. -25 points for an offensive drone or a starting teleporter. -25 points for cloak. Reactor points: 100, minus 10 for each bar of power you start with. 20 points for <3 starting engines. And so on.

I imagine some of the Zerg ships in my sig ought to be worth a look for an UP ship challenge ;) Starting with neither shields nor cloak is very tough, although in the more general case I suppose starting with some OP weaponry could make up for it.

Those were actually the very ships I had in mind. (As well as any other ships people might make) I do plan to overhaul this at a later date. (Maybe this weekend, if real-life is kind enough)
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...