Lambda Shuttle

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
JeKrillick

Lambda Shuttle

Postby JeKrillick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:04 am

So this is my first post sorry if its not up to par :/

I have modified the Red-Tail to a boarding/kill crew ship.
This ship is meant to be played without shields and drones, or any weapon that does hull damage. It is designed around kill enemy crew quickly and efficiently and is therefore shit against the boss (if you can get to him).

Some screen shots;

Those were in sector one when I did my second playthrough on that ship, unfortunately I got unlucky as there were no stores around so I couldn't repair. But should there be some stores this ship can be quite powerful.

Requirements;
GMM
Red-Tail

Download:
adfly to help me out all it takes is five more seconds on your part :D http://adf.ly/IGnXz
JeKrillick

Re: Lambda Shuttle

Postby JeKrillick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:48 am

Well in light of the screen shots being a bit large here is the link to the originals. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... creenshots
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 am

how about something other then fire bombs, or make it so they don't require missles to use, ya know to give us something new to play with
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 am

A couple of words on balance-
  • Avoiding Damage: Cloaking or Shields. Engines are decent against most attacks, but beams do not miss, and asking a player to rely purely on Engine/Pilot evade is... well, putting their fate in the hands of a RNG already known for its fickle and callous disregard for player wellbeing. It really should have either a Zoltan Shield or a Cloak to tip the scales towards long-term survivability. You've already decided on a no-shield design, which would make it roughly similar to a Stealth with boarding focus. Take notes on how the Stealth cruisers were balanced out: 4 Engines + Cloak 1 // 2 Engines + Cloak 2
    Alternately, consider a Defense II drone, or a pair of D1's, to at least give the player some options for survivability.
  • Eight Crew? Seriously? Unless your intent is to make Baby's First God-Ship, starting crew should be 4, maximum. That's not because of the hanger UI, mind you, but because it gives the game a sense of actual progression. Building up the crew is as much a part of the game as killing the other ships and beating the boss - not to mention a significant portion of events that give you the potential for more crew. You're undercutting as much as 1/4th of the game's content, making it all but worthless to people who play this ship.
  • Fire Bomb x4 / Weapons lvl 8. Your choice of weapon might not be significantly overpowered, but consider what those weapons actually do. Unlike the Red Tail's default Basic Laser x4, the fire-bombs bypass shielding entirely. Four of them as starting equipment is entirely ridiculous. And once again, giving the player Weapons 8 right from the word 'go' is throwing a healthy chunk of game progression to the wolves. Consider cutting your armaments and weapon level in half, and diversifying a bit.
  • 3x Augment (Casing). In light of the ship's shieldless design, it makes a certain amount of sense, but the most any original ship starts out with is 2 augments - most only have one, some none at all. I can't call it overpowered in this context, but factoring in my earlier advice about using the stealth ships as an example for balance, it should probably be reworked, and reduced.
  • Doors 3, Sensors 2, Teleporter 3, Oxygen 2, Medbay 3... Again, collectively this is wiping any sense of ship progression off the map. Give yourself 9 starting power - 10 if you're being generous - and distribute the points based on that. Any one of these might be reasonable, but as a package deal this just screams OP, even if your ship's offensive capabilities are somewhat nerfed by the choice in armaments and tactics.

I think there's a lot of potential for this to be a good design, but the ship you've put forward here is just kind of a mess. Overpowered in some respects, target-practice in others. The first ship is usually the hardest and I'll give you credit for not making it a complete murderous wreck, but you still need to give it a good hard look and consider what its focus is, how you think it should be played, but more importantly how the people using the mod are likely to build - then give them the room to progress.

Footnote: I hereby dub this ship the "SS Crematoria." Because let's face it, you're teleporting your own crew into an oven. :lol:
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Also, just to add to what kieve was saying:
- make sure all of your rooms are 2x1, 1x2 or 2x2. The game doesn't properly support other room sizes and your no-oxygen graphics will be messed up.
- if you want to have such a boarding-focused ship, give it a 4-slot medbay, so that you can heal your entire boarding crew at once. That is just being nice to the player, and would balance some of the other difficulty.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
JeKrillick

Postby JeKrillick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm

DryEagle wrote:Also, just to add to what kieve was saying:
- make sure all of your rooms are 2x1, 1x2 or 2x2. The game doesn't properly support other room sizes and your no-oxygen graphics will be messed up.
- if you want to have such a boarding-focused ship, give it a 4-slot medbay, so that you can heal your entire boarding crew at once. That is just being nice to the player, and would balance some of the other difficulty.

I gave the player a 2x2 Medbay but the ship this uses takes up one slot and I don't know how to make a 4 person med bay. Also the extra door in the shield room just kinda appeared there, I can't delete it as it doesn't technically exist. However it does not hinder oxygen depletion and does not hinder enemy movement. If that isn't what you mean then I apologize but I don't understand your room comment.
JeKrillick

Postby JeKrillick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Kieve wrote:A couple of words on balance-
  • Avoiding Damage: Cloaking or Shields. Engines are decent against most attacks, but beams do not miss, and asking a player to rely purely on Engine/Pilot evade is... well, putting their fate in the hands of a RNG already known for its fickle and callous disregard for player wellbeing. It really should have either a Zoltan Shield or a Cloak to tip the scales towards long-term survivability. You've already decided on a no-shield design, which would make it roughly similar to a Stealth with boarding focus. Take notes on how the Stealth cruisers were balanced out: 4 Engines + Cloak 1 // 2 Engines + Cloak 2
    Alternately, consider a Defense II drone, or a pair of D1's, to at least give the player some options for survivability.
  • Eight Crew? Seriously? Unless your intent is to make Baby's First God-Ship, starting crew should be 4, maximum. That's not because of the hanger UI, mind you, but because it gives the game a sense of actual progression. Building up the crew is as much a part of the game as killing the other ships and beating the boss - not to mention a significant portion of events that give you the potential for more crew. You're undercutting as much as 1/4th of the game's content, making it all but worthless to people who play this ship.
  • Fire Bomb x4 / Weapons lvl 8. Your choice of weapon might not be significantly overpowered, but consider what those weapons actually do. Unlike the Red Tail's default Basic Laser x4, the fire-bombs bypass shielding entirely. Four of them as starting equipment is entirely ridiculous. And once again, giving the player Weapons 8 right from the word 'go' is throwing a healthy chunk of game progression to the wolves. Consider cutting your armaments and weapon level in half, and diversifying a bit.
  • 3x Augment (Casing). In light of the ship's shieldless design, it makes a certain amount of sense, but the most any original ship starts out with is 2 augments - most only have one, some none at all. I can't call it overpowered in this context, but factoring in my earlier advice about using the stealth ships as an example for balance, it should probably be reworked, and reduced.
  • Doors 3, Sensors 2, Teleporter 3, Oxygen 2, Medbay 3... Again, collectively this is wiping any sense of ship progression off the map. Give yourself 9 starting power - 10 if you're being generous - and distribute the points based on that. Any one of these might be reasonable, but as a package deal this just screams OP, even if your ship's offensive capabilities are somewhat nerfed by the choice in armaments and tactics.

I think there's a lot of potential for this to be a good design, but the ship you've put forward here is just kind of a mess. Overpowered in some respects, target-practice in others. The first ship is usually the hardest and I'll give you credit for not making it a complete murderous wreck, but you still need to give it a good hard look and consider what its focus is, how you think it should be played, but more importantly how the people using the mod are likely to build - then give them the room to progress.

Footnote: I hereby dub this ship the "SS Crematoria." Because let's face it, you're teleporting your own crew into an oven. :lol:

Thank you for your comments :) One reason I didn't add cloaking is because of the black rectangle around the ship, it completely blacks out the ship and I don't know how to fix that.
JeKrillick

Postby JeKrillick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:56 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:how about something other then fire bombs, or make it so they don't require missles to use, ya know to give us something new to play with

I gave you forty missiles but I suppose I could up that to like 999 or something, but the bombs are supposed to be secondary where the boarding is the main focus
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:58 pm

JeKrillick wrote:
BrenTenkage wrote:how about something other then fire bombs, or make it so they don't require missles to use, ya know to give us something new to play with

I gave you forty missiles but I suppose I could up that to like 999 or something, but the bombs are supposed to be secondary where the boarding is the main focus

No no no, how about this, how about instead of fire bombs, how about a gun that can perce shields, and only can does damage from the fire it creates. see, and plus it only has a charge time of 10 seconds. See this might work
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
JeKrillick

Postby JeKrillick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:
JeKrillick wrote:

No no no, how about this, how about instead of fire bombs, how about a gun that can perce shields, and only can does damage from the fire it creates. see, and plus it only has a charge time of 10 seconds. See this might work

Because I don't know how to do that :/