[MOD] Stations Job 1.21

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stargateprovider

Re: [MOD][WIP] Stations Job 0.e

Postby stargateprovider » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:48 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:
stargateprovider wrote:
nightshark115 wrote:i have a idea! you should make the type c ship of the AI ships the AI satellite from captains edition! it's practically a station, and it looks like a great ship.

There are several AI ships in CE, but I couldn't find the one you mentioned. Which one did you mean exactly?

He meant the Auto Satellite, which I should mention right now and say it isn't the best idea as it is to small and have 0 chance of being inhabitable by any race besides ghost/ lanius... no medbay either can be fitted.

I eventually found it and I agree that it's a little too small. I kinda favour having lots of rooms in a station or a ship. Besides I had planed to set the Asteroid station as the type C.
Some of my FTL mods you may like, or hate, or... yeah:
Image Image
Mackchee

Postby Mackchee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 am

Hi. This mod is great but there is one problem, the augments. Augment problem 1) Because of having to wait once you get four augments you will not be able to ever actually drop any augment unless you get a fifth one. Augment problem 2) When you get four augments it is impossible to sell anything, either that or I'm blind. Thank you, this was some constructive criticism from Mackchee. Bye :D
He's not active, but he's not inactive, he's none other than the "Largely Obscure Fludders!"
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Mackchee wrote:Hi. This mod is great but there is one problem, the augments. Augment problem 1) Because of having to wait once you get four augments you will not be able to ever actually drop any augment unless you get a fifth one. Augment problem 2) When you get four augments it is impossible to sell anything, either that or I'm blind. Thank you, this was some constructive criticism from Mackchee. Bye :D

I'm glad You liked the mod. Some things do work a little differently due to the fact that you can't jump. To sell the fourth augment, go to the store menu and just click on the fourth augment, then it should get sold.
Image Image
Mackchee

Postby Mackchee » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:29 am

Ok, thanks. See ya.
He's not active, but he's not inactive, he's none other than the "Largely Obscure Fludders!"
stargateprovider

Re: [MOD][WIP] Stations Job 0.f

Postby stargateprovider » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Just updated the mod and added, among other things, an Infinite mode. You can choose it at the start of the game.
Changelog for version 0.f:

Code: Select all

- Fuel icons in the UI are now hidden
- Increased max. number of shield layers to 5
- Increased max. thrusters (engines) power to 3
- Added infinite mode
- Added Asteroid station (not finished)
- Improved floor images
- Added events
- Minor improvements and fixes
Image Image
nono333

Postby nono333 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Did you would make DLC to mod ? (package or kits) For example "Civil package" adding more civil stations, guns, augments..... And the "Packages" will be separated from the "Basic mod".
If you want I'm read to make Space Stations in a futur package :)
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:30 am

I joined this forum back in February and figured it's high time I actually posted something. Specifically, my thoughts on this mod:

Overall, I like it a lot. Although it is inevitably more repetitive than a standard run due to the lack of things like sun and asteroid field encounters, I still feel it provides a nice twist on the usual formula and the game balance doesn't feel too bad overall. Could use more events, but you're making good progress on that front.

However, it has a few problems:

1: It seems like the Lanius hacker event that normally turns off your oxygen instead turns off your shields when you're playing an AI or Lanius station. This makes the AI Stations damn-near unplayable (not as bad on the Lanius station since it's a lot more powerful) and the huge number of Lanius ships with teleporters that seem to spawn makes the AI Station A even harder to play (not so bad for AI Station B as it has an Anti-Pers drone).

2: The number of Waits until the rebel fleet arrives varies far too wildly between runs. I had one run with the Zoltan A where the fleet got to me when I was only just starting to see 3-bubble enemy ships. My weapons were just powerful enough to eek out a victory with a final score of 2,611, but it was still ridiculously too soon.

On the other hand, I had a run with the Kestral B (Civilian Station) that made me wait 300 times before the flagship finally turned up. My final score was 12,800 with a full suite of upgrades and 1,700 scrap in the bank and could have had far, far more score and scrap if I hadn't gotten so bored that I started dodging every encounter as best I could (including bribing people to make them piss off).

I don't mind having the number be randomized, but you need to restrict the possible range of rolls to reasonable limits.

3: The only possible way to play the Crystal B is to keep restarting until you get a Flak I in the initial store. If this was intentional I'd consider it poor design and if it wasn't intentional, I'd have to question what the sam-hell you were thinking making a station's only offensive capability be Crystal Vengeance, because even if you were to mod the augment to make it proc. 100% of the time, that's still reducing your scrap income from early enemies down to almost nothing after you factor in repairs.

4: The Zoltan B is missing its Zoltan Shield for some reason. This doesn't seem like it's intentional, especially with its hideously under-powered initial weapons suite.

Now for some balancing and other comments. These are just my thoughts and should not be taken as gospel, since none of them are outright serious problems like the current situation with the Crystal B is:

1: The Kestral C (Pirate Station) might be slightly overpowered. I'd advise removing the mind control system.
2: The combination of a laser and a beam drone on the Engi B means you have to micro the fuck out of the beam drone (constantly turning it on and off in order for it to be just about in position to fire whenever your laser brings the shield down) to make it useful. This isn't really fun in the slightest. You might want to replace the hull laser with a Basic Laser and an Ion Blast I or something.
3: I like the Engi C. It poses a unique challenge with its arty ion and feels balanced.
4: The Rebel Station seems slightly OP. Could lose the mini-beam. Also, you really should put the Rebel Station back where it was. It made sense for it to be where the Red-Tail used to be and it doesn't make any sense for the pirate stations to be split up.
5: Is it a good idea to start the Fed B (Pirate Station) off with a Scarp Arm (Extractor 2.3)? This has a tendency to throw scrap income all out of whack.
6: Though the Lanius A is OP (albeit less so with the new Lanius events that strip it of its shields), I don't think you should change it. Having an OP Lanius ship is kind of a tradition, to the point where the already OP Lanius B ship was actually buffed and not nerfed in Captain's Edition. Unless you eventually make a Lanius B station and make that one OP, keep the current Lanius A station the way it is. : 3
7: Already mentioned, but the AI Station A feels overly hard to play, getting constantly screwed in the rear by Lanius boarders and shield-removing events.
8: Similar to the Crystal B, the Rock A's initial suite of weapons is basically unplayable in its current form, making it reliant on what's in its initial shop. Effectively all you have is an Artemis and 9 missiles. You'll run out almost immediately, so I had to play my Rock A run by selling everything immediately (weapons and Rock Plating) and buying myself a teleporter.
9: I like the dynamic the Rock B has, wherein you missile out the shields then pick them apart with the heavy laser. This is one of the better ways of making an initially missile-reliant ship actually viable.
10: The Slug A is very under-powered. The artillery Anti-Bio Beam it has almost always misses the enemy crew, making it essentially useless, which leaves nothing but a weedy two-shot peashooter. You'd really be better off replacing the arty weapon with just a regular Anti-Bio Beam in the ship's regular weapon slots.
11: This has nothing to do with anything, but it kind of amuses me how the station versions of the Mantis A and Mantis B have effectively traded places in the hanger.
12: How on Earth do you build a system out of relevant augments? I've never been able to get it to work.
13: Also irrelevant, but being able to effectively use the vanilla ships you haven't replaced yet as stations gives me chuckles.
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:43 pm

nono333 wrote:Did you would make DLC to mod ? (package or kits) For example "Civil package" adding more civil stations, guns, augments..... And the "Packages" will be separated from the "Basic mod".
If you want I'm read to make Space Stations in a futur package :)

I'm probably not going to do extra packages to this mod, sorry.

Captain Trek wrote:I joined this forum back in February and figured it's high time I actually posted something. Specifically, my thoughts on this mod:

Overall, I like it a lot. Although it is inevitably more repetitive than a standard run due to the lack of things like sun and asteroid field encounters, I still feel it provides a nice twist on the usual formula and the game balance doesn't feel too bad overall. Could use more events, but you're making good progress on that front.

First of all, thanks for the informative letter.

To clear some things up now; the number of times you can wait isn't supposed to be randomised at all and if it is.. well... As far as I know, I set the fleet back about 65 jumps and it should always be that way. If it's not then that means problems.
Captain Trek wrote:...3: The only possible way to play the Crystal B is to keep restarting until you get a Flak I in the initial store. If this was intentional I'd consider it poor design and if it wasn't intentional, I'd have to question what the sam-hell you were thinking making a station's only offensive capability be Crystal Vengeance, because even if you were to mod the augment to make it proc. 100% of the time, that's still reducing your scrap income from early enemies down to almost nothing after you factor in repairs.

4: The Zoltan B is missing its Zoltan Shield for some reason. This doesn't seem like it's intentional, especially with its hideously under-powered initial weapons suite...
...4: The Rebel Station seems slightly OP. Could lose the mini-beam. Also, you really should put the Rebel Station back where it was. It made sense for it to be where the Red-Tail used to be and it doesn't make any sense for the pirate stations to be split up.

I haven't tried all the stations through yet, so yeah, everything's not quite ready. It's good that you noticed those things though. Expect some balancing in the next update.
I moved the Rebel station because there's going to be a type B for it. I intend to remove the Pirate station A, when R4V3-0N finishes the type B Rebel station.

Captain Trek wrote:...12: How on Earth do you build a system out of relevant augments? I've never been able to get it to work.

You need two augments, for most systems the first part is the "System Parts" augment, the second varies depending on the system. And you need an empty beacon to build anything, similar to CE.
You can check the code in events_fuel.xml if something remained unclear.

EDIT: Just a question to everyone, any suggestions for the Asteroid station, should it keep the ASB augment, that could be activated before battle or the ASB-like drone?
Image Image
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:13 am

stargateprovider wrote:To clear some things up now; the number of times you can wait isn't supposed to be randomised at all and if it is.. well... As far as I know, I set the fleet back about 65 jumps and it should always be that way. If it's not then that means problems.

Huh. That is a... really, really weird bug, then...

stargateprovider wrote:I haven't tried all the stations through yet, so yeah, everything's not quite ready. It's good that you noticed those things though. Expect some balancing in the next update.
I moved the Rebel station because there's going to be a type B for it. I intend to remove the Pirate station A, when R4V3-0N finishes the type B Rebel station.

I see. I'll be sorry to see one of the Pirate stations go (they're both cool), but OK.

stargateprovider wrote:You need two augments, for most systems the first part is the "System Parts" augment, the second varies depending on the system. And you need an empty beacon to build anything, similar to CE.
You can check the code in events_fuel.xml if something remained unclear.

OK, I'll see what I can do then.

EDIT:
stargateprovider wrote:EDIT: Just a question to everyone, any suggestions for the Asteroid station, should it keep the ASB augment, that could be activated before battle or the ASB-like drone?

I haven't downloaded the update yet, but the way CE does it is make the ASB an augment that you have to choose whether to activate at the start of the battle and costs 4 missiles and lowers your power bars by 1 for the duration of the battle if you do. ASB is quite powerful, so you could do something similar.

EDIT 2:

I had an idea for preserving the second Pirate Station layout. We've seen plenty of Rebel ships in the hands of pirates in FTL, so how about a Pirate rebel station using the loadout that one of the two existing pirate stations already has? That way, you could have Fed Station, Civilian Station, and Pirate (Fed) Station in the three Kestral slots, and Rebel Station A, Rebel Station B , and Pirate (Rebel) Station in the three Fed. Cruiser slots. Sound good?
stargateprovider

Postby stargateprovider » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Captain Trek wrote:EDIT:
stargateprovider wrote:EDIT: Just a question to everyone, any suggestions for the Asteroid station, should it keep the ASB augment, that could be activated before battle or the ASB-like drone?

I haven't downloaded the update yet, but the way CE does it is make the ASB an augment that you have to choose whether to activate at the start of the battle and costs 4 missiles and lowers your power bars by 1 for the duration of the battle if you do. ASB is quite powerful, so you could do something similar.

Yes, but my main issue with this was that If I'll keep the ASB as an augment, then I'll have to add a pre-fight text like in CE before every fight to provide the option for activating the ASB. I kinda don't like having extra text before batte, but I don't want this station to start with the drone system either.

Captain Trek wrote:I had an idea for preserving the second Pirate Station layout. We've seen plenty of Rebel ships in the hands of pirates in FTL, so how about a Pirate rebel station using the loadout that one of the two existing pirate stations already has? That way, you could have Fed Station, Civilian Station, and Pirate (Fed) Station in the three Kestral slots, and Rebel Station A, Rebel Station B , and Pirate (Rebel) Station in the three Fed. Cruiser slots. Sound good?

Yep, I had the same idea which I suggested to R4V3-0N, because I didn't really want to lose the other pirate station.
Image Image