Poor game design

General discussion about the game.
AzuredreamsXT

Poor game design

Postby AzuredreamsXT » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:56 am

Pulsar anomalies randomly ionize systems, they can hit your weapons array immediately and leave the enemies' intact.

Dead ship, gg, no chance to use skill in any way shape or form to get around the situation.

That's not just punishing difficulty, that's sloppy game design. I'd request a refund for this game from steam but I've owned it way too long, and the refund system wasn't around when this released :x
stylesrj

Re: Poor game design

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:00 am

What?
Seriously, what?

It's a rogue-like game. It's not supposed to be fair.
Some days you'll get all the good luck and find powerful weapons floating in space and on other days you'll be flying a Crystal B into a sun against an AI ship with missiles and Mind Control. Or a pirate ship with a Zoltan Shield.

Just suck it up and try again until you win.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:39 pm

There's a trick to making sector 1 pulsars less dangerous. Since shots take time to travel between your ship and the enemy ship, simply fire your weapons just before the pulsar goes off, so that the pulse occurs while your shots are in the air. That way, the enemy shields will be down by the time your shots arrive, your shots will most likely hit whatever you aimed them at (the drones and weapons), and then it doesn't matter as much if your weapons get ionized, since you've already fired your shots and their weapons are down.

Pulsars usually seem to go off somewhere between 14 and 17 seconds into the battle, and many weapons setups charge faster than that. Most ships slower than that have counter-measures (the Zoltan ships have Zoltans, Stealth B has long-range scanners to avoid the pulsar beacon).
precursormar

Postby precursormar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 pm

In what way is that event less fair than the random fires from a regular star? It seems to me that different ships and different builds are just going to naturally have a harder time with some events than others. Zoltans, for instance, would have no problem with the ion event.

If this weren't the case, the game would be unbalanced and some ships would be extremely easy while others were freakishly difficult (which might be true to some extent . . . but you get the point).
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:30 pm

precursormar wrote:In what way is that event less fair than the random fires from a regular star?

Well, to point out the obvious... the worst a star can do to you all by itself is damage a system by 1 bar, and set two fires in the same room. That's really awful, but can be dealt with - and sometimes you can put out the fire before it damages another bar.

Meanwhile, a sector 1 pulsar can put 3 ion damage on the same room, which doesn't permanently damage it but does shut off more stuff (e.g. all your weapons) and for even longer than the star does.
Hubnester

Postby Hubnester » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:21 am

Honestly, I don't think you have any right to complain about these things, based off your previous posts. You're just bad.
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Having looked at this guy's old posts, I don't think it's the same person using this account. The AzuredreamsXT of three years ago didn't seem to think the game was too hard, but was frustrated with how random it was to unlock ships.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:32 pm

Maybe their attitude changed in 3 years? I mean Advanced Edition might have been a shock.
Captain Trek

Postby Captain Trek » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:00 am

Possibly. Pulsars were new in AE...