So normal mode, anyone finding it rough?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
cuthawolf

So normal mode, anyone finding it rough?

Postby cuthawolf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I've beaten the game a couple times on Easy now, so I thought I'd try it on normal. I've tried it a couple times and I just get systematically whomped every goddamn time. Most recently I ran into "The Dread Pirate Pico" who had a 2 shot burst weapon, hull missle and anti-ship drone...on my first jump. I had nothing, he just annihilated me.

I know it's supposed to be harder, but I'm feeling like it's ridiculous.
Sinriel

Re: So normal mode, anyone finding it rough?

Postby Sinriel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 pm

I played on Normal from the beginning, did not even try Easy. Now, I am far from even having a moderate knowledge of this game, but it's somehow intuitive. I managed to get to the final boss in my 4th run. Still in fight, waiting on some answers here on forums so I don't screw it up.

So, I guess you just picked up some bad habits on easy which are not working on Normal.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Once the enemies get 3 shields I get slaughtered because my weapons never seem to be able to go up against the shields I guess I need atleast a missile or ion
Maya

Postby Maya » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Moosicorn wrote:Once the enemies get 3 shields I get slaughtered because my weapons never seem to be able to go up against the shields I guess I need atleast a missile or ion

A Teleporter works great to when they dont have a Medbay and you should always remember that you can escape if you cant withstand the enemies power (expect if you're fighting the boss or your jump isn't ready^^).
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:28 pm

cuthawolf wrote:I've beaten the game a couple times on Easy now, so I thought I'd try it on normal. I've tried it a couple times and I just get systematically whomped every goddamn time. Most recently I ran into "The Dread Pirate Pico" who had a 2 shot burst weapon, hull missle and anti-ship drone...on my first jump. I had nothing, he just annihilated me.

I know it's supposed to be harder, but I'm feeling like it's ridiculous.

That enemy would have only had 1 shield, so target your first volley on their weapons. Bam, they can't hurt you any more. Sure, you'd have taken a bit of damage first, but it'd have been clean sailing from there.

Maya wrote:and you should always remember that you can escape if you cant withstand the enemies power (expect if you're fighting the boss or your jump isn't ready^^).

You can escape from the final boss, you just have to remember that you have to come back again. I've won a couple of times by jumping away and then coming back once my systems were repaired. (Though the boss repairs too, so it's not a viable tactic unless you got unlucky and think you can do better with a fresh start.)
Taskeen

Postby Taskeen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 am

Haha, I can't even beat this game on EASY. That's how sad my play-throughs have been. All unlucky things happen to me EVERY TIME. I can't even surpass my high score of 1300 on Normal, so frustrating.
Ottomic

Postby Ottomic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 am

I've done normal runs since launch and gotten utterly squashed on each one. I got to the 7th sector yesterday and almost couldn't stay ahead ofe the Rebels on a beeline to the next sector. Then, that 4-layer shielded, incendiary cannon-toting, 2 anti-ship owning son of a slug cut in, so I thought of doing an easy run to heal my ego a bit, and got run over on the 6th sector.

This game can get so patronizing it actually pisses me off sometimes.
Balanuir

Postby Balanuir » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 am

Yeah, the game is insanely difficult, but I actually like that. Too much handholding and "you can't fail no matter what" in modern games.
Ergil

Postby Ergil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:53 pm

I've just beaten the game on normal for the first time. I was actually just trying to get the Mantis cruiser. Started with the Engi cruiser, went for Teleporter and Mantis crew as soon as I could get them. Ended up killing everything I ran into. Found so much scrap I didn't know what to do with it. Boss was a cakewalk. Didn't find the Mantis cruiser though :(
Vaansinn

Postby Vaansinn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm

I managed to finish the game in normal only once so far (but haven't played "easy" yet") and I think it was more luck than anything else. Sometimes you fly through 1 system without even seeing a shop, sometimes you have all 3 at the same spot. It really depends on what shops offer and that you can find them.