Playing without using pause (Normal Mode)

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Mapmaker

Playing without using pause (Normal Mode)

Postby Mapmaker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 am

From the start I've chosen to play without using the pause functionality within combat. As you may of guessed I've died a lot but over time I've gotten better at the style of play. I've focused solely on the kestrel and have managed to reach the final sector around 8 times or so. I'd quite like to hear about the successes and failures of anyone else who plays this style and if anyone has completed the game playing this way.

For me, this has led to the following observations:

1) You are fighting the AI on an 'even' level. You will have to use the auto-fire functionality.
2) Multiple weapons with identical cooldowns help tremendously.
3) Ion weapons are incredible as you can target the weapons and disable the shields at the same time.
4) Missiles/bombs should only be used in an emergency but should always be on the weapons bar.
5) System Repair & Anti-personal droids are a bargain as they reduce your workload.
6) Enemy borders are a deadly distraction. Don't expect to vent them into space reliably.
7) Keep the medi-bay powered at all times beyond sector 3.
8) Only red-shirts use a teleporter if your ship is firing. Nothing like friendly fire deaths.
9) The oxygen bay is a huge vulnerability. Burning or venting it is a death trap for your crew.
10) Enemy drone bay is the highest priority target if active. These things will carve you up in seconds.
DasRav

Re: Playing without using pause (Normal Mode)

Postby DasRav » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 am

People will always find ways to make a hard thing harder :)

Kudos to you for playing like that. I am too old to do it any more xD
jambonessy

Postby jambonessy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am

I would say that using the pause function pust you on a level playing field as the computer.

The only time I ever use pause really is if i've managed to get that item that means my weapons are instantly reloaded. Otherwise the game is easily slow paced enough to play it optimally without that.
Kalpa

Postby Kalpa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Mapmaker wrote:1) You are fighting the AI on an 'even' level.

I disagree, the AI doesn't have to move the mouse.
No matter which way you twist this, it's an (small) advantage to the AI.
Maya

Postby Maya » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Kalpa wrote:

It Depends on your Microskills, especially cause the enemy seems not to follow specific tactics when they attack, but attacking more or less randomly. And that's a big Advantage you got there, what the AI can't balance out with his fast decisions very well.
Kalpa

Postby Kalpa » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 am

Maya wrote:
Kalpa wrote:

It Depends on your Microskills, especially cause the enemy seems not to follow specific tactics when they attack, but attacking more or less randomly. And that's a big Advantage you got there, what the AI can't balance out with his fast decisions very well.

Fair point.
Knowitall

Postby Knowitall » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 am

I never started out with the intention of playing w/o pausing, but I've noticed that the more I play the game, the less I feel compelled to use it. I have to agree with the OP on all points here. I think there is a tremendous advantage to playing without pausing. I also have to agree that doing so requires a tremendous amount of micro-management. I'm a competent Starcraft 2 player, and this game absolutely puts my MM skills to the test. There are still many times, however, when I find myself in situations where just too many things are going wrong at the same time. In these cases I find that it's very nice to have the option to pause everything, take breather and a step back, and try to work out the best course of action.
Mottikhan

Postby Mottikhan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:58 pm

I just noticed the pause button. Been playing without it until last night.

It sure makes a difference, especially when trying to tell a crewmember to leave a fight and get to the med bay. Before, about 50% or more of the time, I'd click on the door instead of the crew and he/she would die.

It's also real handy when changing targets right after a solar flare lights you up while the enemy boarding party is hammering at your O2 room.

Pause = less frustration and more accuracy. :)
dyrewulf

Postby dyrewulf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm somebody who abuses the pause feature, but I like the idea of a game mode where it would be disabled for greater challenge. If they do this (or a mod is made) there should be some other enhancements done to the interface like being able to assign hotkeys to groups of your crew and individual autofire settings for the weapons, etc.. to make it more feasible. Without such changes I don't think I would ever be willing (or be disciplined enough) to go pauseless. Kudos to anybody who is though.
LexAckson

Postby LexAckson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:04 am

I started playing this way after beating the game for the fourth or fifth time. I was winning more than half of my games.

Now I have only won once in 16 games. No pause is way more fun, and I have not gone back since.

My winning ship was on my first try actually. I used kestral b and got 2 burst laser mark II a breach bomb and a halberd beam, set on autofire. The lasers and bomb would help get shields down, and i'd throw in an attack or defense drone when needed.

Two ships made it to the final boss and died. A mantis B and engi A.

I'm thinking of making youtube channel for realtime playthroughs if there is intereset.