FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.277b/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:56 pm

So, since this thread gracefully glossed over my one-line comment I'll try that again. First of all: I do realize that I suck a whole lot at communicating with this thread. Given that literally ten thousands of people play this thing I maybe should comment on things a little more. Then again there doesn't seem to be so much to say these days, the mod is basically done and If you have problems there is this great troubleshooting section. :D However I still try to fix any bugs reported here and try to track down those weird crashes that now and then happen.

On the note of feedback and fixes: I do totally appreciate that there are people sticking around here that answer questions and help other CE users out. CE has some cool supporters here and I'm very happy about that.

What I tried to announce the other day is the following:
So I worked on CE for three years now. During the last phase of it's development I joined up with Rann and we did some interesting things with external programs. And then we basically got to the point where we felt that we exhausted FTL modding and that few things remain to be done here. At this point, making game content had already become a pretty big part of my life. I don't know how aware you are of this but making CE actually took a ridiculousness amount of time. However as I said before, it was great! Making this mod was both super interesting and fun. Rann felt the same, he actually wanted to support FTL since the start and was really happy to become part of the CE modding crew later. So basically we had a great time with making content and we didn't want to stop. That's why at the beginning of this year we started to make our own game. It is called Hyperspace Admirals and has been officially announced this week.

So I'm not going to use this thread to advertise our game excessively, because the FTL forum obviously isn't really the place for this. But I still wanted you to know what we are doing now. If you had fun with CE, chances are you might be interested in seeing how Hyperspace Admirals turns out. Our plan is to iterate upon the space-exploration roguelike genre in a cool way, taking stuff from FTL that works and trying new things at the same time. If you wonder how Hyperspace Admirals will compare to FTL and how our modding history relates to the game: We did address this in our first dev blog post. The blog is part of the games micro site that describes our ides for the game. More dev updates will follow in the next months and I occasionally tweet about the game as Stefan @Sleeper_Games. Rann and kartoFlane are also aboard for the game's development. So if this is of any interest to you, check out our site. Maybe we can welcome some of you in the HA community one day, it would be great to have some familiar faces around.

I'll close with the games banner and some never before seen alpha concept pieces and our studio logo:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:So, since this thread gracefully glossed over my one-line comment I'll try that again

I had a look at Hyperspace Admirals when you posted it. An FTl-like game with more customisation options, open-world gameplay and friendly modding capabilities? Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see the results.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:59 pm

I don't read every thread here these days but I've been thinking about booting up CE for a let's play and I come across this. Now I'll do the LP *and* talk about this new game, which looks awesome.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:06 pm

Well I just saw the Hyperspace Admirals announcement and I have to say I am very excited!!! It looks like you and Rann took the variety of playstyles, weapons, and experiences CE tried to offer and are now improving them even more by going beyond the limits of FTL. Well Done. I'll be watching your development closely.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words. We are super exited to see how it turns out as well. It's still a long way ahead of course.
Irateshadow

Postby Irateshadow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:29 pm

I am having issues with the Lanius Cruiser and this mod.It won't let me do most of the empty beacon options and even with the Requestion License I lost crew members when I pirated. is this a known thing or what?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Irateshadow wrote:I am having issues with the Lanius Cruiser and this mod.It won't let me do most of the empty beacon options and even with the Requestion License I lost crew members when I pirated. is this a known thing or what?

First question: What mods are you running? Anything with custom events? If so, that's probably causing issues with empty beacons.

Secondly, when you pirated ships, did you remember to use the blue options when available?
Also, it's best you read what the license actually allows you to do.

I'm assuming you boarded an enemy ship and killed the crew. You're not a pirate or a bandit, you're just a highwayman. You hit the mark until they give up the goods. You don't stab them in a dark alley and take everything off their corpse.

The Requisition License is the weakest piracy choice in CE. You might get a few free things but overall, it kinda sucks, especially if you're flying a boarding ship.
I once flew a Crystal B with the License. Then I realised that it was a terrible idea and got rid of it ASAP after I boarded a cargo ship and killed everyone. Luckily no one left but yeah... not a good idea.
Zellator

Postby Zellator » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13 am

What has happened to this mod?

I mean, I used to play the 1.205b version and I tried this new one.
Now it is horribly unbalanced and annoying, even on Easy.

I used to beat the vanilla FTL without much problem, but this mod makes it impossible to pass the 2nd zone.

The Infinity Mode only delays the fleet by 5 jumps, like that is a lot, but still makes it pursue you.
Besides, it makes everything so much more expensive it actually makes the game harder, when it should be the opposite.

Any balance fix coming soon?
Anyone else having problems with this?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:38 am

Zellator wrote:What has happened to this mod?

I mean, I used to play the 1.205b version and I tried this new one.
Now it is horribly unbalanced and annoying, even on Easy.

I used to beat the vanilla FTL without much problem, but this mod makes it impossible to pass the 2nd zone.

Captain's Edition is meant to make Hard Mode look Easy. Keep trying.

The Infinity Mode only delays the fleet by 5 jumps, like that is a lot, but still makes it pursue you.
Besides, it makes everything so much more expensive it actually makes the game harder, when it should be the opposite.

I agree on some parts there. The early sectors should have much cheaper shields. Like it should cost the same in Vanilla FTL to get 2 layers of shield. Although this would turn Infinite from a desperate clinging of life in Sector(s) 1 to a relative cakewalk... up until those bloody Mine Drones pop in.

I also say cheaper shields because for some reason the game sees fit to equip enemy ships with the completely unblockable Pernahce Beam (or whatever that 2HP focus beam is called) as early as Sector 1 and if your firepower sucks, like it would, means you'll take a lot of damage, just like those Mine Drones.

So I'd like to have 2 layers before going anywhere, even for a repeat of Sector 1.

Any balance fix coming soon?
Anyone else having problems with this?

Nope, I take the defeats as all part of the mod and punishing me for thinking I can still play it like vanilla (In Vanilla, you can jump from fight to fight without much worry about your Scrap spending. In CE, you might encounter BS boarders, a heavy dual missile and a mine drone. Be prepared and don't save up too much Scrap.)
Zellator

Postby Zellator » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:56 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Captain's Edition is meant to make Hard Mode look Easy. Keep trying.

I agree on some parts there. The early sectors should have much cheaper shields. Like it should cost the same in Vanilla FTL to get 2 layers of shield. Although this would turn Infinite from a desperate clinging of life in Sector(s) 1 to a relative cakewalk... up until those bloody Mine Drones pop in.

I also say cheaper shields because for some reason the game sees fit to equip enemy ships with the completely unblockable Pernahce Beam (or whatever that 2HP focus beam is called) as early as Sector 1 and if your firepower sucks, like it would, means you'll take a lot of damage, just like those Mine Drones.

So I'd like to have 2 layers before going anywhere, even for a repeat of Sector 1.

Nope, I take the defeats as all part of the mod and punishing me for thinking I can still play it like vanilla (In Vanilla, you can jump from fight to fight without much worry about your Scrap spending. In CE, you might encounter BS boarders, a heavy dual missile and a mine drone. Be prepared and don't save up too much Scrap.)

I see,

I'll try to see some people playing on Youtube, because I must be doing something wrong.
Just like you said, I may be playing this like Vanilla (so yeah, frustration and rage quits are not rare)

I tried to play the earlier version of the mod (the one I said was easier), and yes, the development has been coherent to say the least. (oh the rage quitting...)
So yeah, this brings me to the conclusion that I was better at it, it's all.

Thanks for the reply! :)
I'd love to see one you veterans play this.