Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
steamtex

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby steamtex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 pm

pirateandy37 wrote:ok so im almost finished i need a very big shield though and i dont have photoshop so i cant make also i need a very big floor (just make a giant invisible square for the floor)

Get GIMP 2.8.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Would it be possible to add two different themes in for the Last Stand sector?
One as combat and one as exploration as well?

It seems redundant, but I've recently just finished a mod that replaces the Last Stand's music with a combat theme of the Federation track. Which was made by a friend of mine, and I kind of prefer the Federation theme over the Last Stand track.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:02 am

95% Chance wrote:Would it be possible to add two different themes in for the Last Stand sector?

It seems redundant, but I've recently just finished a mod that replaces the Last Stand's music with a combat theme of the Federation track. Which was made by a friend of mine, and I kind of prefer the Federation theme over the Last Stand track.

It should be possible. You'll have to make a copy of the data\sounds.xml file, change it to an .append file (sounds.xml.append), and delete everything except for the following (OR, just make an .append file called sounds.xml, and add this code to it, if you want to keep it simple):

Code: Select all

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <explore>bp_MUS_LastStand.ogg</explore>
   </track>
</music>

Then, you can add a <combat></combat> entry, with the name of your song's file between the ><s. Like so:

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <combat>bp_MUS_LastStand_battle.ogg</combat>
   </track>
</music>

Accordingly, you'll put your song files in an audio\music folder within your mod, as that's where the game looks for music. Somewhere along the line I probably screwed this up, but that's my understanding of it.

Assuming I follow the above guide and the above guide is correct, here's an example that should work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wyxfp95ggw1i ... e.ftl?dl=0
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 am

steamtex wrote:
95% Chance wrote:Would it be possible to add two different themes in for the Last Stand sector?

It should be possible. You'll have to make a copy of the data\sounds.xml file, change it to an .append file (sounds.xml.append), and delete everything except for the following (OR, just make an .append file called sounds.xml, and add this code to it, if you want to keep it simple):

<track>
      <name>laststand</name>
   </track>

Then, you can add a <combat></combat> entry, with the name of your song's file between the ><s. Like so:

<track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <explore>YOURSONGNAME1.ogg</explore>
      <combat>YOURSONGNAME2.ogg</combat>
   </track>

Accordingly, you'll put your song files in an audio\music folder within your mod, as that's where the game looks for music.

The mod had already been completed and I ended up finding out all this through trial and error. Unfortunately it seems like the .append file did not work when I tried it, as it still played the Last Stand track instead. I ended up having to go a roundabout way and pretty much replace the entire audio/music folder with that tiny change.

Any suggestions?
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 am

95% Chance wrote:The mod had already been completed and I ended up finding out all this through trial and error. Unfortunately it seems like the .append file did not work when I tried it, as it still played the Last Stand track instead. I ended up having to go a roundabout way and pretty much replace the entire audio/music folder with that tiny change.

Any suggestions?

Check the updated post I made. I screwed up the code.

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand</name>
      <combat>bp_MUS_LastStand_battle.ogg</combat>
   </track>
</music>

Otherwise, here's a thought:

In sounds.xml.append:

<music>
   <track>
      <name>laststand_mod</name>
      <explore>bp_MUS_LastStand_mod.ogg</explore>
      <combat>bp_MUS_LastStand_mod_battle.ogg</combat>
   </track>
</music>

In sector_data.xml.append:

<mod:findName type="sectorDescription" name="FINAL">
   <mod-replace:trackList>
      <track>laststand_mod</track>
   </mod-replace:trackList>
</mod:findName>
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:46 am

pirateandy37 wrote:ok so im almost finished i need a very big shield though and i dont have photoshop so i cant make also i need a very big floor (just make a giant invisible square for the floor)

I just copy the hull image to the floor image. I think you need to move it a bit to make it fit perfect now.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:03 am

How exactly would I go about making a pirate brush stroke?

I've been searching the forum to try and find the pattern used for the pirate paint splatter brush stroke things, but APPARENTLY pirate is far too common a word for the search function to do its job.

EDIT: Nevermind, there's an extremely roundabout way to do it by selecting a color range in photoshop, but I do wish there was a dedicated brush. Ah well.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 am

95% Chance wrote:How exactly would I go about making a pirate brush stroke?

I've been searching the forum to try and find the pattern used for the pirate paint splatter brush stroke things, but APPARENTLY pirate is far too common a word for the search function to do its job.

EDIT: Nevermind, there's an extremely roundabout way to do it by selecting a color range in photoshop, but I do wish there was a dedicated brush. Ah well.

I just use gimp and do it manually all the way with the normal pencil tool, first I apply all the markings, then the shading/ light.
Works for me.

R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
JustImprovise

Postby JustImprovise » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:10 pm

How do I unpack the data.dat file or th resources file (which one do I need to access?) in order to see the ship graphs I can splice them/ rotate the enemy ships to be ud as player ships
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:11 pm

All images and sounds, etc. are located in the resources.dat file. Slipstream Mod Manager -- the tool you need to install mods -- has an unpacking functionality (File > Extract Dats...), so you can use that.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL