Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 03/05/16 - Steamrunner WIP images)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Crazybat

Re: Star Trek Sovereign/Akira Classes

Postby Crazybat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:13 pm

As the mod is now finished, I've opened a topic in the Working Mods subforum. You should be able to get there by clicking the icon in my signature.
Crazybat

Re: Star Trek Sovereign/Akira Classes

Postby Crazybat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Work has now begun on the Akira Class! Below, I have the three hull layout images.
Layout A - The Akira as she's commonly depicted.
Layout B - The Akira, now given a classical, Original Series coat of paint.
Layout C - A layout that will be something of a challenge to play...and yes, the hull is solid gold.
Abs

Re: Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 30/06/15 - Akira)

Postby Abs » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:42 am

A hull of solid gold? I hope that translates into higher evasion of incoming shots due to the reflective surface. Looking good, as always! :)

Abs
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
Crazybat

Postby Crazybat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Hey! Sorry I've been gone for a bit, got distracted. However, I do have something new for you guys - another Akira layout. Now, before I created this, I was originally intent on making Layout C something of a ridiculous ship, with the backstory of some rich idiot or whatever commissioning the equivalent of a space-faring sports car - all looks and speed, and nothing else - meaning no doors, no sensors, but max engines, piloting, underpowered weapons, etc.

However, now I've been able to create another unique image - one styled after the mirror-universe Terran Empire.
I've taken some cues from community mods which depict TNG Terran craft, and added my own touches. However, since I now have four layout images, I'd like any interested to choose which of the four they want, and which one to leave out. Hopefully I can get this mod finished soon!
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:57 am

Have you considered adding custom art and sounds for the weapons? Well, the art would be difficult considering there's no references, but it would be really fun to have the missile launcher make the torpedo launching sound and the beams make the phaser firing sound.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Crazybat

Re: Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 10/07/15 - Akira A and C WIP posted)

Postby Crazybat » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Hey!

Just updating with a few new developments.
WIP builds of the USS Thunderchild, replacing Kestrel A, and the ISS Phobos, replacing Kestrel C, are available to download.

USS Thunderchild
ISS Phobos
Crazybat

Re: Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 10/07/15 - Akira WIPS Available)

Postby Crazybat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Updating with a WIP build of the USS Tapestry, replacing Kestrel B. Expect a completed mod pack by the end of the weekend.

USS Tapestry
Crazybat

Re: Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 10/07/15 - Akira A, B, and C now available)

Postby Crazybat » Sun May 01, 2016 1:44 am

Fully completed Akira pack has been posted in the Working Mods section. Click the ship in my signature to go there. Apologies for the immense delay.
Crazybat

Re: Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 03/05/16 - Steamrunner WIP images)

Postby Crazybat » Tue May 03, 2016 12:28 am

I've spent the last two days agonising over this design - the Steamrunner.
It's taken me ages to draw this thing to scale from a photo-realistic orthographic and bring it in line with my previous ships. The unfortunate thing about the Steamrunner is that there are two different designs for it. One has impulse engines at the rear of the saucer, the other doesn't, and has a different bridge module as well. Pictured below are two versions of the first design, feedback would be appreciated. I am considering modifying the design for one of the layouts to better represent the alternative version of the Steamrunner, but FTL's layouts are always just recolours. To change that up might feel...wrong. But anyhow, feedback on both the images below and this matter would be appreciated.

Steamrunner "Appalachia"
Steamrunner "Ironclad"

I also don't know if this ship will be large enough. I'm OCD enough to keep all these ships to scale with one another - it's why smaller ships like the Intrepid and the Defiant are unfortunately off the table, if not relegated to enemy ships for an idea I'm kicking around. I had difficulty with room distribution on the Akira and fitting room for every system, and this Steamrunner is even smaller...need to wait and see if I can manage this.
NarnKar

Re: Star Trek WIP Hulls (Updated 03/05/16 - Steamrunner WIP images)

Postby NarnKar » Wed May 04, 2016 4:54 am

Crazybat wrote:I am considering modifying the design for one of the layouts to better represent the alternative version of the Steamrunner, but FTL's layouts are always just recolours. To change that up might feel...wrong.

I'd say go for it! I don't think it would feel wrong. You'd have a good justification for it, and that particular FTL convention needn't always apply.

The sprite art, as always, is gorgeous. How do you shade your ship hulls?