FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Klokinator

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Klokinator » Thu May 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Alright, actually all crew is supposed to be more expensive with CE Infinite. I suspect that CrewD_v001.ftl or
CE Vanilla Portrait Patch V2.ftl reverts the prices chances that Infinite makes, but they leave the Lanius untouched, which is why they are more expensive in the end. You could ask the authors of those mods to make a Infinite compatible version with higher crew prices I guess...

Oh, gotcha. Actually I prefer the lower prices. My big issue with infinite is that it makes everything super expensive and tedious to obtain. I like infinite because it lets me max my ship out and get an interesting ship, not because I want to spend three days prepping for a final boss, haha. Regular CE prices + infinite space is my preferred ideal.
Metatronic

Postby Metatronic » Fri May 29, 2015 3:37 pm

So I have been having a problem. I've recently just come back to FTL and its mods-seeing this overhaul i naturally wanted to install it. anyway, I had installed everything correctly, with the mod order as suggested by you (with better planets, Randtrel and EL). I pressed the launch button and the game crashed before fully loading up. After disabling mods one by one to discover the problem I concluded that The EL texture pack seemed to be interfering with something. I then only used the resource pack, CE and endless with EL and the texture pack was still causing the crashes. I've un-installed FTL, verified the cache and repeatedly checked SSM's mod order. Any ideas?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri May 29, 2015 3:55 pm

I recommend your read through the troubleshooting section in the first post:

Game crashes/freezes after or during the loading screen when having the Endless Loot Addon installed:
Your FTL does not have access to enough memory in order to cache all the images EL adds. The solution is to allocate more memory to FTL. You can do this in various ways depending on your OS and personall preferences. Some ways might involve using third party software. Use a search engine to find out how to allocate more memory to FTL and EL might work. If that is too much trouble, then consider not using EL.
Metatronic

Postby Metatronic » Fri May 29, 2015 4:16 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I recommend your read through the troubleshooting section in the first post:

Game crashes/freezes after or during the loading screen when having the Endless Loot Addon installed:
Your FTL does not have access to enough memory in order to cache all the images EL adds. The solution is to allocate more memory to FTL. You can do this in various ways depending on your OS and personall preferences. Some ways might involve using third party software. Use a search engine to find out how to allocate more memory to FTL and EL might work. If that is too much trouble, then consider not using EL.

This Worked: thanks! i didn't expect to have to need 4GB of RAM allocated for it to work!
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat May 30, 2015 5:42 am

Hello there!

I'm back from the silent and absent land, just finished reading the 58 pages that appeared since my last visit ;) While getting here again took me longer than I expected, I must say that reading all those CE-related discussion was a pleasure (apart from some trolling attacks and people not bothering to read troubleshooting, obviously). You guys are really an high-standards example amongst game's mods word, and Sleeper rocks as always!

It's really nice to see CE being updated, even if no really big new features appeared (still no Federation cruiser wingmen, *sniff, sniff*, but I imagine that it would take muuuch work). It really feel complete, and those polish touches are making it shining brilliant. When it will end? (hint: never!! I hope...).

And "yay!", there is finally a way to support Sleeper's work by a way of donating! I can't count the number of times I asked for it ;) Ironically, at the moment I'm not able to pledge more than lowest monthly support, but man, I'll try to squeeze some more when possible, you really deserve it for your continuous work. Congratulations on choosing a platform, too - considering that CE is maintained and updated all the time for literally years, Patreon seems to be fitting best, and I see it as more friendly for long-standing creators than things like kickstart&co. I wish you getting your milestone at some point!

// Edit
And the mandatory "OMG1!1!1!!!11!, the CE/Patreon explaining video is awesome!". No, seriously, it is. Great quality, good sense of humor and, while kept warm/informal, it is actually very informative. Heck, the quality of putting it together is so good, that before the first FTL:CE related bits kicked in, I was in doubt if I'm watching some general Patreon (friendly made) usage instruction. Kudos!

Now, as for few things that I noticed during long read:

Russian Rockman wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:But you can't just change singular to plural in most instances...

Yeah those words are not only plural. Also, I've never heard of the use of them, they, or their to refer to a singular individual of non specified sex being arguably invalid karto. Though, I'm not an English professor.

"Pay the ransom or I'm going to kill him" ---> "Pay the ransom or I'm going to kill them"
"Your crewmember is in his personal quarters" --> "Your crewmember is in their personal quarters"
"He defeats the Mantis with a mighty blow" ---> "They defeat the Mantis with one mighty blow"
All of these are perfectly proper sentences, as long as you've identified who "they" are previously, which the texts always do. Your crewman, crewmember, crew, etc...

I really appreciate your spell-checking efforts Rockman (and I'm glad that Sleepy opted for git, after all!), but as for this specific dillema, I feel replacing her/his by they/them really awkard, in most situations. I know that you're right that it's formally legit language-wise, but things like "Your crewmember is in their personal quarters" instantly rises the "whose quarters?" question in my head. Well, the "wrong gender" thing wasn't ideal either, maybe the new one just need getting used to...

Sleeper Service wrote:Playing on easy works just as good in CE as it works with the vanilla game. The "Designed to be played on normal difficulty" hint below the download mostly means that the mod wasn't designed with hard mode in mind (cause hard mode didn't exist when most of the mod was made).

...and (as you have mentioned in later post) there are people that made it in Hard :D Personally, I never play FTL:CE in any other difficulty - it just seems *perfect* that most of the time, I get far, but can't make it. The victory feels like really rare achievement, I even stopped looking at the "victory ratio" alltogether. Before AE's Hard mixed with CE, winning started getting a little too easy (at least 1/10 runs and increasing).

Out of curiosity, you had other reports of success in "legit" FTL:CE Hard? ("legit" as in one of default ships, not Infinite, no other mods making it easier, etc.) I was a little surprised that I haven't found further reports of that "achievement", I don't believe it wasn't done... Albeit, holding the, erm, "title" of only person achieving this for a while was cool, I must admit ;) :oops:

Biohazard063 wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:Maybe it should cause a disturbance in your AI crew... repair bot on strike! :)

"You're repair drone burns a hole through the hull whilst your AP drone is choking a crewmember."
1. Listen to their demands
2. Power down drone control

Actually, this gave me biggest FTL-related laugh in a while... Just imagining this rebellion, something like cleaning drones from Space Crawlers, spraying detergent on "organics", mop drone chasing "meatbag"... ;)

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Anyway, do you plan to include the Horror and Federation Bonus tracks into the CE Additional Music Addon? It doesn't sound like Ben would mind.

Then again the FTL soundtrack is a commercially released album (Chromatic T-Rex is not) so the legal situation does not really allow this anyway.

Albeit, having permission of the copyright holder would work! Does anyone know who currently holds the copyright for that? Creator, or some label? I could ask them.

/Estel
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat May 30, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks for your kind words and your support on Patreon Estel. I really appreciate it.

Estel wrote:I wish you getting your milestone at some point!

:D I seriously doubt that. I find it absolutely hilarious that one can get more donations for, among other things, streaming my mod than for making it. Well, I'm making a wrong connection here that does not really exist in that way, but that thought crossed my mind now and then. And don't get me wrong, I think guys like Vanguard deserve every cent they get I'd love to see more people being able to live from producing content like that. But it probably won't work for me through Patreon. The main problem might be that I can't really "advertise" the possibility to make donations much, other than mentioning it here. I definitely don't want to put any pointers ingame, that would just be whack.

Estel wrote:I really appreciate your spell-checking efforts Rockman (and I'm glad that Sleepy opted for git, after all!), but as for this specific dillema, I feel replacing her/his by they/them really awkard, in most situations. I know that you're right that it's formally legit language-wise, but things like "Your crewmember is in their personal quarters" instantly rises the "whose quarters?" question in my head. Well, the "wrong gender" thing wasn't ideal either, maybe the new one just need getting used to...

Right, its hard for me to gauge what works best for obvious language reason. Github revision control would allow to reverse those changes made by Rackman. Would you advise to do this? Rockman, are you still around? Your thoughts?

Estel wrote:Out of curiosity, you had other reports of success in "legit" FTL:CE Hard?

I think there was no one else in the thread who reported doing that, but given the amount of users CE has there are bound to be some people who beat it on hard. Twinge was the only one I know of who did it on screen.

Estel wrote:Albeit, having permission of the copyright holder would work! Does anyone know who currently holds the copyright for that? Creator, or some label? I could ask them.

Justin just pointed out in the Clonebay thread that you can loose your copyright if you don't actively defend it (at least under US copyright law, which Ben is probably subject to). Allowing people to distribute your music without fee might qualify as just that, not defending your copyright. So I don't think that Ben would or should allow this. Even though I'd of course love to add some more of his music into the mix.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
Estel wrote:Out of curiosity, you had other reports of success in "legit" FTL:CE Hard?

I think there was no one else in the thread who reported doing that, but given the amount of users CE has there are bound to be some people who beat it on hard. Twinge was the only one I know of who did it on screen.

Is that a challenge? ;)
Maybe I'll do it someday...
Haven't even beat vanilla AE on hard yet.

Guess Red-tail would be the way to go in that case. If it still has the cargo-teleporter at least.
Been so long since I played with the standard CE ships...
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat May 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Right, Red-trail would definitely have an advantage on hard. Looking forward to see it.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat May 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:The main problem might be that I can't really "advertise" the possibility to make donations much, other than mentioning it here.

I think I might have some ideas about what fans could do to encourage others donating... Without needing to put anything in-game (albeit I must say that some sub-plot about raiding hidden cache of weapon-mod makers donors could be interesting in itself ;) ). No idea if it will work either, but I'll definitely try. Surprise time, I hope!

Biohazard063 wrote:Is that a challenge? ;)

Guess Red-tail would be the way to go in that case. If it still has the cargo-teleporter at least.

I'm afraid that the "proper" challenge also require vanilla player ship loadouts... :D Well, at least that is how I'm doing it, which adds the challenge of getting the really useful things CE adds, that we've learned to (ab)use for our profit. Aaaaand, there is always the Engi B/Stealth B thing with Vanilla loadouts, trying to beat Hard with it is hilarious :D

Sleeper Service wrote: Github revision control would allow to reverse those changes made by Rackman. Would you advise to do this? Rockman, are you still around? Your thoughts?

The problem is that I'm not even sure, personally. It is possible that I just get too used to "mind-filtering" wrong gender problems, and thats why using very unusual (yet correct) English terms makes it feel awkard for me. Also, there might be "it's just me" problem, too. I would definitely wait for more opinion (and personally, I think I need to spend more time with seeing those sentences on-screen) before doing any radical steps.

Sleeper Service wrote:Justin just pointed out in the Clonebay thread that you can loose your copyright if you don't actively defend it (at least under US copyright law, which Ben is probably subject to). Allowing people to distribute your music without fee might qualify as just that, not defending your copyright. So I don't think that Ben would or should allow this. Even though I'd of course love to add some more of his music into the mix.

Well, to be absolutely honest, what Justin said isn't exactly true law-wise (as per my 3/4 educated guess, 3/4 cause IANAL, but I have some contact with those matters), it's just how it end many times when law gets twisted wrong way.

Also, answering *specific* question about using your work in *specific* project doesn't mean you're not protecting your copyright. You're actively giving your permission (or not), stating your opinion, deciding = actively doing things related to copyright of your work.

What could get used (twisted) by some Us lawyers into not protecting copyright would be seeing your work used in some mod (or anywhere, for that matter), and just *shrugging*, i.e. not taking action. Thats is, probably, what Justin had in mind - seeing clonebay being made, they faced dilemma - either take unjustified action to prove that they actively protect their copyright (and being an arse to your fans/project makers), or not, risking that someone else with bad intentions, later, may use this "silent approval" against them. Considering that no action was performed against Clonebay (which in itself is great idea, IMO, personally I see it more important than Overdrive, if it succeed), I'm glad that FTL makers did the right choice, at the end :) Not that the clonebay is an real "attack" on their copyright anyway - I can't see a quality resources pack coming in MANY years, people will need to use legitimately obtained FTL resources, anyway. OTOH, the "placeholder" graphics, used to just check if FTL works via open engine on your platform of choice, is a great idea. I guess it may increase FTL makers profits in long term, if anything.

Anyway, going back to the music - as I off-toped a little in the last paragraph - asking Ben wouldn't hurt, for sure. And definitely wouldn't hurt his copyright if he agrees (unless someone is deliberately planning to steal his work no matter what, using any excuse - in which case problems would happen, CE integration or not).

/Estel

Ps.

Now I shut up and go for first "proper" FTL:CE run in long time... Weeoooho!
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Estel wrote:
Biohazard063 wrote:Is that a challenge? ;)

I'm afraid that the "proper" challenge also require vanilla player ship loadouts... :D Well, at least that is how I'm doing it, which adds the challenge of getting the really useful things CE adds, that we've learned to (ab)use for our profit. Aaaaand, there is always the Engi B/Stealth B thing with Vanilla loadouts, trying to beat Hard with it is hilarious :D

If I had to go with vanilla load-outs... I'd probably go with Slug A. That slug gel... :twisted:
I don't hate vanilla stealth B to be honest. Glaive beam is a decent starting weapon and a great late game weapon. A bit of luck in the late game and you're good.
Stealth C would probably be more of a pain.
We'll see,
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.